Oscar Pistorius (Blade Runner) Arrested (Read 549 times)

Feeling the growl again

So, although an argument of passion and loss of control can be somewhat true ~ I do not buy it as a defense for actions taken. 

Yes, an explanations and excuses are different things.  Knowing why someone would do something like that does not justify it or make it ok somehow.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

The "distance" is to be in contrast with "close contact" (they're in the same sentence)--You don't have to be in contact with the person (7 yards away) when you shot him.

Same for a bow and arrow, a spear, a rock, or a thrown knife.

7 yards = 21 feet; the data I shared showed >75% of fatal shootings occurring <6 feet.  None of this is "from a distance" that is going to disconnect you from what is happening.

I'm with C-R, this has to be a troll.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

You could easily have cleared it up by answering the question about why "this was not a surprise" for Oscar by clarifying why you would feel differently about another gun enthusiast, such as myself.  Instead, you kept digging the hole with his "unhealthy interest in guns" and how weird it was for him to take a guest to a shooting range, only confirming the root motives behind your comment as seeing something inherently bad/violent/unstable in him because he was into firearms.  You indicated that you thought this odd behavior last fall, before this tragedy.  Absolutely nothing to do with this completely new explanation above, until now, pages later.

No, I don't believe this was what motivated you to post the original comment at all.  But way to jump back in after wanting it to end, you didn't let the Friday meltdown crew down.

You are such a mess.

Since, as far as I knew, your girlfriend hadn't died of multiple gunshot wounds while the two of you were the only ones home and police hadn't been called to your home multiple times for domestic disturbances, I didn't really see a need to differentiate between Oscar and you or any other gun enthusiast. I had made it pretty clear in black and white that his interest in guns was only relevant given the other 3 facts on that list.

I maintain it was not reasonable for me to predict that even you could have made the jump form that to me calling you a murderer.

I never said the whole situation was not a surprise. I said that given all we now know it's not a surprise that he was charged with murder. I could not have been more clear.

Runners run

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Due to Oscar and the meteorite, I may invest in Carnival Cruises now.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
          Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

JimR

7 yards = 21 feet; the data I shared showed >75% of fatal shootings occurring <6 feet.  None of this is "from a distance" that is going to disconnect you from what is happening.

You're going to kill a person throwing a knife at them?

#artbydmcbride

She locked herself in the bathroom to get away.  He couldn't have killed her if he tried to use his hands or a rock, or a baseball bat,  but with the gun he was able to kill her through the door.

Runners run

skygazer

Whatever you think.

But you seem to keep distorting what I was trying to say.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

"That's what Tiggers do best!"

But you seem to keep distorting what I was trying to say.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                  Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

skygazer

re-post the FBI link and the table on a post in the previous page. Didn't know it was a mess.

Murder, Types of weapons used, by percentage:

RegionTotal all
                    weapons1
                    FirearmsKnives or
                    cutting
                    instruments
                    Unknown
                    or other
                    dangerous
                    weapons
                    Personal
                    weapons
                    (hands, fists,
                    feet, etc.)2
                    Total 100.0 67.5 13.1 13.6 5.8
                    Northeast 100.0 64.4 16.5 14.5 4.6
                    Midwest 100.0 71.9 8.7 14.1 5.3
                    South 100.0 68.1 12.8 13.0 6.1
                    West 100.0 65.0 14.9 13.6 6.

Feeling the growl again

She locked herself in the bathroom to get away. 

I haven't seen this detail, where was this released?

If so the whole surprise-in-the-dark version released initially looks even more odd.  It makes me wonder if there was ever any sort of actual source to that or it was a complete fabrication from her Twitter post that then went viral as "news".  21st century media at its best I guess.

skygazer

Sorry, this should be my last hijack of the thread.

Just want to give a rebuttal to the argument that if someone really wants to kill a person, s/he'll find a way to do it.

From the FBI table, ~2/3 of murders in this country were conducted using firearms(a fact). For the above argument to be true that means those murders would mostly still had taken place by use of other means had firearms not been available.

Do you really think so?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

She locked herself in the bathroom to get away.  He couldn't have killed her if he tried to use his hands or a rock, or a baseball bat,  but with the gun he was able to kill her through the door.

She = the intruder, right?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

No Talent Drips

Do you really think so?

Can you clarify what you mean by "think"?

Dei Gratia

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Can you clarify what you mean by "think"?

Are you asking literally or figuratively? Or rhetorically?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

You are such a mess.

Since, as far as I knew, your girlfriend hadn't died of multiple gunshot wounds while the two of you were the only ones home and police hadn't been called to your home multiple times for domestic disturbances, I didn't really see a need to differentiate between Oscar and you or any other gun enthusiast. I had made it pretty clear in black and white that his interest in guns was only relevant given the other 3 facts on that list.

I maintain it was not reasonable for me to predict that even you could have made the jump form that to me calling you a murderer.

I never said the whole situation was not a surprise. I said that given all we now know it's not a surprise that he was charged with murder. I could not have been more clear.

If you had stated in your list that she was killed with a gun he owned (I believe this has been established), it would have been clear and a non-issue.  But it was not the presence of the gun you keyed in on, it was his interest in guns, which you further clicked into and referred to as "not healthy" - again the interest and sport activity, not the fact that he was known to have a gun available to commit the crime.  This was the issue, and when asked on it you continued to follow the train of logic that his interest in guns was odd, unhealthy, and relevant.

She was shot, in his house, when they were the only ones there, with his gun, and a history of domestic calls.  Yes, under that list of circumstances, no surprises. I believe this is the difference Finn called out earlier.  Whether he liked to take a reporter to the shooting range or never shot at all but kept the 9mm in his house is completely immaterial, the fact is she was killed in his house with his gun.

You've ripped on me for being unable to read sarcasm but really, you think I jumped to you calling you a murder?  First of all the words were "murderer in the wings" ie not an actual murderer but someone you would consider questionable because of an interest in guns And secondly I think the sarcasm was pretty clear, but sometimes it misses the mark so I'll give you that.  MTA apparently neither C-R nor I understood Nemo's post but I'm sure it made sense to him when he wrote it.   It was simply an attempt to get you to differentiate the judgement you were applying to Oscar's activities to someone else with similar activities.