Calf Muscles feel tight (Read 1327 times)

Within the last 3 weeks or so, every time I go for a run both calf muscles seem to tighten up on me around the 1 mile mark. I do a moderate jog for 5 min. as a warm up, then light stretching before I start my run, then a 5 min. walk for a cool down, then 10 min. of stretching. I have about 110 miles on my running sneakers. My g/f is a PT and says I have a "muscle band" in each calf muscle. It is only tightness, no pain when running. Any suggestions on how to remedy?!?!

Prophet!

i had persistent tightness in the calf muscle for a while...then after a 5K race there was a free massage and I got most of the tightness gone and after taking a few light days its pretty much gone.

Along for the Ride

I ignored my tightness for about 2 months and started to have aches and pains from overcompensating. I have started sports massage and the first appointment was very painful but also relaxed the calf muscles. On the subsequnet easy runs I felt i was not as tense and my stride was more natural. Next appointment coming up... Have you tried "www.thestick.com"? I just ordered mine and think it might be a good way of getting a deep massage.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

t_runner

I have had similar pain, on and off for probably a year. I've used both the stick and professional massage to deal with mine, both with some success, although it tends to come back if I get lax about either. I don't know if it's a "muscle band" but when it gets really painful, typically after a speed workout or tough race, I can feel something that feels like a bit like taut rope in my left calf. I had some arch pain a few months back that sent me to a doctor and PT, and both said my calves were pretty tight, which led to the arch pain, and just stretching them a couple times a day could help. Here's a link to "The Stick" that I use: TheStick.com - look for the "Marathon stick" - supposed to be good for those with lean muscle mass.
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Many people have a tendency to push off with their toes more than is really necessary. Unless you're sprinting, or going up a really steep hill, you don't need to put a lot of load on your calves. A faster cadence can help. And concentrate on letting your lower leg relax while it's in the air. Let the toes droop a little.
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              Thanks for the advice! I picked up the Marathon stick at fleet feet Tuesday night. Used it that night, and ran a 6.2 mile development race wed. night and no calf tightness! I've found it to be amazingly effective after runs, as well as the next day to loosen up all muscles and get rid of soreness.
              sheil2009

21:00

Yeah, I had that during track, but it always felt better after someone took a bar and rollen me out; by that I mean they put Vaseline on my calve and tightly rolled the bar up and down my calf. Hurts when the do it, but it loosens up so much afterwards