Group Owner Viewing and Sharing Options (Read 694 times)

Coach Kaemingk

This must be a dumb question. How can I (the owner of the group) view other members running logs? I am the coach and was assuming I could see other members logs. In the User Groups for High School I like how Whitefish High School works but I only want the 2 coaches to be the ones that can see each runners distance and details. I am not convinced that I want all mambers to see each others logs yet.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

At this point, who can see logs is controlable only by the owners of the logs. In order to see the members of your group's logs, each of them will need to go to Options --> My Log Preferences and then select either "Only allow members in my groups to view my log" or "Allow everyone to see my running log." There is not currently a way set up for you to be able to see the logs without letting everyone else in the group see everyone's logs. I don't know what Eric has planned for that - perhaps he'd not thought of that situation since the groups are still a fairly new feature. Eric - what about setting these options up as default features for high school groups?

Roads were made for journeys...

eric :)

Here's the good news. I took a little break from the GPS work this weekend and added something that should fit your needs. The bad news is a couple of months ago, I upgraded the tools I used to create the site. As a result, the new code is rather unstable and is not suitable for public use. I uploaded it to the testing site and the beta users are trying it out right now. It will probably take about a month before we find and fix most of the bugs, and then I will release it. I hope that doesn't mess up your plans. By the way, what's your reason for not letting your athletes see each other logs?
        Coach Kaemingk

The reason comes from my years of team summer running experience. Early in the summer runners like to see each others mileage, it is motivating. Mid to late summer that changes for the athletes that have not been as faithful. They see their teammates piling on the miles and they think it is hopless because they cannot catch-up. So I have taken the approach to encourage each athlete individually through e-mail and phone calls. If I see their mileage is lacking I call to encourage them. Each week I e-mail those that have logged mileage to encourage them. This is not based on science just observation. I am willing to start with the team view option and see how it goes.
          eric :)

The reason comes from my years of team summer running experience. Early in the summer runners like to see each others mileage, it is motivating. Mid to late summer that changes for the athletes that have not been as faithful. They see their teammates piling on the miles and they think it is hopless because they cannot catch-up.
            That is a very good point. I can imagine the despair of seeing the high mileage racked up by their teammates and feeling lost. I am hoping that the beta users and I would find and fix most of the bugs in the new code by late June or early July to make another release. Your request will be included in that release.