GPS (Read 824 times)

Hello, I have a garmin etrex gps unit. I'd like to try out a forerunner but this was free so it'll do for now. Anyway, with my unit I'd like to take the maps on RA and send them to my etrex to follow on my run or the other way around upload my track from the unit into my maps on RA. Is this possible / available? Thank you for any help. Oh and is there anything that anyone can tell me about the forerunners? I've never used one before at all. Are the lower end models going to be ok? What's the main advantages / disadvantages with a forerunner vs. the etrex? What should I look for in a wrist watch GPS? Also, is there another forum that would be a better place to ask about the forerunner question? Thank you, Bryan
    eric :)

Hi Bryan, I will be working on the GPS import functionality right after the log is complete. Supposedly, all Garmin devices will be supported (according to Garmin). There is a Forerunner group here on RA that maybe able to answer your questions. eric :-)

Imminent Catastrophe

Hey Eric, you keep referring to the new log. Just curious, is it a complete redesign or just tinkering? It works pretty well as is, I can't wait to see the upgrade.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

eric :)

Russ, The answer is not all that straight forward. I don't want to be too technical with my answer, although it will explain why it's taking so long to roll out. RA used to be a pure running log when it was first made public. It didn't have forums or groups, and it only allowed you to record your running. I added support for cross training later on but in my mind, it was a hack. It's evident if you want to graph or search non-running data. The new log retains a similar look and feel. Here's the not so straight forward part of the answer. I redid the layout of most of these pages and the code that presents and processes the data for these pages. In that sense, it's a complete redesign. However, there are a lot of glue code that works behind the scene to ensure everything runs smoothly that I didn't change much, but enough that I can't release the new log as I modify each page. They are so tightly coupled that the new code can only be rolled out when all the pages are completed. This is why it's been taking so long. The new log is less strict, and less limiting. You can create as many workout types as you like. You can have as many new activitiies as you like. You can even delete courses that you can't right now. It has better graphing. You can customize the data columns in the workout list. These are just some of the improvements I've made. I've been putting a lot of time into it and doing my best to complete it as soon as I can. However, I do not want to rush to release it because it's a major project and will affect everyone. eric :-)

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks for the info, and all the hard work Eric!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Thanks, that helped