Holiday Running Streak (Read 2691 times)

Seanv2

I'm having a lot of problems with consistency these past couple of weeks - too much work, not enough sleep.  I saw the other day that Runners World is promoting a "holiday streak" where you commit to running everyday from Thanksgiving to New Years.  I think I'm going to do it.  Anyone else interested?

Here's everyone who thought it'd be a good idea to run at least one mile everyday from Thanksgiving to New Years Day.

Name

Completed?

Seanv2

Stopped

jeffdonahue

COMPLETED!

Dallas

COMPLETED!

Stfuandrun

Montco

Stopped

Ojo

COMPLETED!

Jehu

Stopped

stealth_rnr

Stopped

Waytogo

Murphy996

Irishguy

xhristopher

COMPLETED!

Rgilbert

Stopped

youngoffender

COMPLETED!

Sruiz

COMPLETED!

Willie_MN

LedLincoln

COMPLETED!

Ennay

COMPLETED!

Slo_Hand

Dtothe2nd

wolfeliminator

COMPLETED!

Runny_babbit

arlahile

COMPLETED!

CEIE

kmays

Completed*

stealth_rnr

daisymae25

COMPLETED!

Cherrieruns

Stopped due to illness

mgerwn

Stopped

ckerr1999

Stopped

cliffordtbrd

knifey

Joe.

Stopped (but hit the 2k miles mark!)

RoadNotTaken

Stopped

FlippyNoodle

Stopped

camille2                                    

lilac_jive

Stopped due to injury

MichaelE

COMPLETED!

Spaniel

stopped due to illness

top_cheddar

Stopped due to injury

Rick_Stone

Barbs595

COMPLETED!

papillon1966

COMPLETED!

doctorjen

COMPLETED!

iloverunwods

Stopped

PADRunner joined later, but also COMPLETED

*s represent runners who started their streaks early and ran the required number of days, but didn't make it all the way to New Years Day.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hmm, for me that's an interesting idea, since I pretty much write off the holidays due to travel and all.  I also don't want to force myself into running when it would be wiser to give my body a break.  That said, it might be possible, so I'll make the wimpiest possible commitment. :-)

HermosaBoy

Running on Christmas morning is always kind of fun (especially if in warmer climates)!  You get out and see kids playing with their new toys.

If not in warmer climates, it's very peaceful.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

kcam

Why wait, start now.  And then keep running past the new year, it would solve those consistency problems.  As simple as that.

Running Rev'd

I did it last year and made it to the day after Christmas before being so exhausted and worn out from the holidays (I'm a minister) that I needed a mental and physical rest day. But I think it's a great idea - not only to get the physical activity in every day but to commit to taking time for yourself away from the hustle and bustle of the holidays, even if it's only 10 minutes.

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

I did it last year, starting at the beginning of November, ending in March.  It keeps me cruising during the crap weather Smile.

Today will be day 44 of my similar reboot.  I start to crave it this time of year, and it helps me survive the holidays, too.  

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

Prince of Fatness

Running on Christmas morning

If not in warmer climates, it's very peaceful.

Indeed.  Now that my kids are grown Christmas celebration starts later in the day, so I have plenty of time to get a run in first.

I'm already looking forward to my Christmas morning run.

Not at it at all. 

Seanv2

Why wait, start now.  And then keep running past the new year, it would solve those consistency problems.  As simple as that.

I might.  

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

jeffdonahue

I'm in, but hell, I've been doing it since New Years Eve 2007.

Hoodoo Guru

I like that idea.  That period of time has always been a recovery time for me, but this year there is no fall marathon so why not.  That ought to keep me motivated and ready for my first race of the year on New Year's Day.

The tangents are moot.

I'm in, but hell, I've been doing it since New Years Eve 2007.

I can't claim a streak for that long, but this whole idea of taking off for weeks or months at time is rather foreign to me. 

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I did this exact thing just about 2 years ago. I haven't stopped. Ha. Lately, there have been a lot of 1 milers, but I am still out there running daily. I am stupid.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Seanv2

I've gotten myself in trouble before trying to run through injuries, that's why I like the idea of a streak with an end date.  I think I might start tonight and then, barring injury, take it through January first.  

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

kcam

Believe it or not, though I plan on running 7 days a week, I am scared of running streaks.  For exactly the same reason Seanv2 doesn't care for endless streaks - maybe running when you shouldn't just to keep the streak going. When my consecutive days running gets really long (for me, maybe 50 days) I start thinking it's time to NOT run a day just to break that streak so I dont become obsessive about it.

I had a friend who was always concerned about "the streak".  She was up to 5 years or thereabouts and she was running really well ... in her 40's running 3:20 marathons.  She went a little too far and had some kind of hip problem and 2 years after the hip problem surgery she is still just doing sporadic running, just never been able to get it back so far.  She blames the hip problem on running when she should not have but says she couldn't help herself in wanting that streak to continue.  Be smart about consecutive days running.

Believe it or not, though I plan on running 7 days a week, I am scared of running streaks.

+1.

Though I have always done my best as an every day runner, and I generally don't plan days off, if I notice I've gone more than about 4-6 weeks without life handing me an unplanned day off, I'll take one just to avoid ever having so long a streak that I might start to consider the streak a "thing" in and of itself.

Runners run