San Fransico Marathon (Read 1030 times)

Okay what all crazy people are going to this?  Come on people I know we have some people running in this.  I am running the full and after looking at the elevation I'm a little worried about being able to crack 3:30 at this marathon.  I'm very excited about the cool weather of SF since it has been between 105 - 90 here lately with humidity. 

I ran what I thought was a hilly course the other day but after looking at the elevation chart for SF I think I need to do better.  Do those who have run it have any tips? 

Also anyone know a website where you can get total elevation change for marathons.  I think this is a little more important then the net gain/net loss you get most of the time. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
    • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
    • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
    ymmv

I'm in. I've never successfully raced a marathon, so I've worked on my 10 mile to half marathon races for the last year. We'll see how this one goes.

So you are planning on running the full then?  I took a quick look at your log and it looks like you are getting some good mileage in. 

What would be a successful marathon for you?

• Sub 22  5K
        L Train

The Pig must definitely be harder than that.

spinach

I PR-ed at San Francisco a couple years ago.  My only sub three marathon.  The most difficult hill on the course is going up to the bridge and then right after you come back across the bridge but those are fairly early in the race (mile 5 through 10). Your elevation map  is wrong there.  You don't get back to sea level there unless you jump off the bridge.  The bumps in the Golden Gate park aren't bad. Haight is a long uphill but it is pretty gradual.  The steep down hill after mile 20 gave me the most difficulty. The last five miles are flat but they go through a pretty boring part of town.

Good luck, I wish I were going back there this year.

xor

Enjoy the "dynamic road closures" in the second half.

#artbydmcbride

I'll look for you at the expo, BCR!    Spinach described the hills very well, they aren't bad...... 

Runners run

ymmv

So you are planning on running the full then?  I took a quick look at your log and it looks like you are getting some good mileage in. 

What would be a successful marathon for you?

I am running the marathon.

For me, successfully racing a marathon (and not just finishing it) would mean having a time roughly in proportion to my shorter races where I felt like I did my best the whole way. 

bhearn

I PR-ed at San Francisco a couple years ago.  My only sub three marathon. 

That's impressive. It's not a fast course. I ran it in 2010. I was in a period of non-training then, but I still found it tougher than I expected.

I'd like to run it again this year, but I'm about 90% sure I'll be doing a hilly 50M at Mt. Rainier that weekend instead.

I'll look for you at the expo, BCR!    Spinach described the hills very well, they aren't bad...... 

Is this your home course?

• Sub 22  5K

#artbydmcbride

Is this your home course?

No,  I am a Southern California girl.    All I run are flat sunny stretches of beach.   Cool

Runners run

xor

I know where that is!

AnneCA

I just want to know if you decided that driving 10 hours with children sounded better than flying into Oakland.  

I was convinced by you guys and strongly by my DW that we were flying.

• Sub 22  5K

#artbydmcbride

I know where that is!

I ran with you there!  Smile

Runners run