Ankle roll and swelling (Read 98 times)

hectortrojan

A little over a month ago, I sprained my ankle. I was about 10 minutes away from the car when it happened. Immediately after it happened, I sat down for a couple of minutes as it hurt badly, then I got up and was able to jog back to car. I did not feel any pain for rest of the day. I went on a about 3 hour hike the next day and did not feel any pain. Later on the day I noticed that my ankle got swelled; it was a size of a golf ball.

I was concerned and took a week off. Swelling kept reducing with each day and it was very little after 3-4 days. Then I ran around 4 times next week (all 4 were one hour long easy runs on the street). I did not feel any pain and swelling did not increase; though it remained very little. Since I did not feel any pain and swelling did not increase, I thought I was over it and went for 4 hr run on trails (it was 2 weeks after I rolled the ankle initially). Again I did not feel any pain during that run or afterwards. But on that evening, I noticed that swelling increased. It reduced and was very little after a day or so. It has been two weeks since then, and that little swelling is still there!

Did anyone experience anything like that? Any idea what is going on here?

#artbydmcbride

inflammation

please send co-pay to my email addy   

Runners run

Stephen1141

I rolled my ankle real bad at the beginning of last year and experienced something similar. Initially it swelled up the size of a baseball but went down after a few days. However, even after the pain was gone it would swell up some after runs for a while, which seems to be a "normal" thing following bad sprains. You may want to get it checked by a doctor and be very wary of it altering your stride. Mine caused me to mess up my achilles and I had to take a long time off last year, setting me back quite a bit.

Disclaimer, I am not a doctor

did that twice last year within a 5 month period...swelling the size of a plum and badly bruised both times same ankle. ran when the pain wasn't present and don't have pain now 6 months later. my ankle however looks much bigger than the other and i figure it will be for a long long time if not forever. i don't care what the thing looks like honestly as long as it don't hurt. i also don't run fast so i may have an easier time not causing sidebar injuries. wish you the best with your running.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

hectortrojan

did that twice last year within a 5 month period...swelling the size of a plum and badly bruised both times same ankle. ran when the pain wasn't present and don't have pain now 6 months later. my ankle however looks much bigger than the other and i figure it will be for a long long time if not forever. i don't care what the thing looks like honestly as long as it don't hurt. i also don't run fast so i may have an easier time not causing sidebar injuries. wish you the best with your running.

Bigger ankle after 6 months! I was not expecting to read something like this!

Daydreamer1

I have many ankle sprains in my past. Two while running, the rest doing other activities. Based on the picture yours doesn't look too bad. I've had some where my whole foot swelled up and turned many colors.  Based on my experience you may feel discomfort for up to a year.  As soon as I can bear weight on it I'll start walking again then progress to running. You may want to try some type of ankle brace when running to give some support. Depending on the amount of discomfort I'll do that.  Also do a lot of movement exercises, up, down and side to side. It seems to help things to keep from tightening up.

I know the old, tired advice is "if it hurts don't run on it". Maybe I'm stupid but even when I wasn't a runner my ankle sprains took 6-12 months to fully heal depending on the severity. If I waited until I was pain free to run I'd never run.  I believe in active recovery so I start running as soon as possible.  If you have a good relationship with a doctor you might call them and ask for a script for Voltaren Gel. It's a anti inflammatory that is applied topically and works well for me on tendon ligament issues.

I've gotten X-Rays several weeks after a sprain because it was still swollen slightly and never found anything broken.

hectortrojan

I have many ankle sprains in my past. Two while running, the rest doing other activities. Based on the picture yours doesn't look too bad. I've had some where my whole foot swelled up and turned many colors.  Based on my experience you may feel discomfort for up to a year.  As soon as I can bear weight on it I'll start walking again then progress to running. You may want to try some type of ankle brace when running to give some support. Depending on the amount of discomfort I'll do that.  Also do a lot of movement exercises, up, down and side to side. It seems to help things to keep from tightening up.

I know the old, tired advice is "if it hurts don't run on it". Maybe I'm stupid but even when I wasn't a runner my ankle sprains took 6-12 months to fully heal depending on the severity. If I waited until I was pain free to run I'd never run.  I believe in active recovery so I start running as soon as possible.  If you have a good relationship with a doctor you might call them and ask for a script for Voltaren Gel. It's a anti inflammatory that is applied topically and works well for me on tendon ligament issues.

I've gotten X-Rays several weeks after a sprain because it was still swollen slightly and never found anything broken.

Thanks! It helped.

What a timely thread. Sprained my ankle during a trail run on Saturday. This is all good info. Thanks!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!