Please tell me I'm crazy... (Read 1051 times)

Feeling the growl again

Wait, they want someone email their SS#?? Wha? In order to get their prize money check?
    The race is required to file appropriate IRS forms documenting payment of prize money. This would require your SS#; in most cases I have been asked to fill out the form myself BEFORE the race, not send my SS# for them to do it for me afterwards. It is not at all unusual to require this form before paying out prize money above a certain level. On a side note, this is taxed at a higher rate as "unearned" income. Think about it, say you won a marathon...would you consider that money "unearned"???

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Along for the Ride

Perhaps they assume that the women running the race already have "purses"?!?!
      Big grin Big grin Big grin

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

I ran this race last year. Not only did the UAE donate $1.00 for every runner that participated but they put up the prize money and added a bonus prize--I think it was $10,000 if anyone could break the course record. Then, they sent the top runners out there to compete. Khalid Kannouchi was there, I think he came in 26th place. The winner, who did break the record was Dathan Ritzenhein of Oregon in 28:08. Of course I came in 3,580 place in 57:12, I was nowhere near winning an age group award so it did not matter that I had left my burka at home. Mostly it is like the standard NYRR race, which is to say organized chaos.
        I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
          Well, thanks everyone! I would have understood if the race was men only. Until I read further, I thought I somehow fell through the cracks and they didn't realize that I was, in fact, female. Just thought it was strange. BTW, a woman cant have too many purses, thank you very much!!

2012 Goals: Get back into it after having a baby! Prep for a 1/2 marathon

Well, thanks everyone! I would have understood if the race was men only. Until I read further, I thought I somehow fell through the cracks and they didn't realize that I was, in fact, female. Just thought it was strange. BTW, a woman cant have too many purses, thank you very much!!
            If my wife is any indication, especially if they are Vera Bradley! -Jonathan
            I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
              The next major NYRR event is the New York Mini 10k. It has a bigger purse, for women only, paying $10,000 to the winner and paying 15-deep as opposed to $7500 at Healthy Kidney. The UAE is not sexist. The Dubai Marathon in January offered a million dollars for a world record to both men and women, and there was an underwhelming half marathon that was similar. This guy has money to burn and loves giving it out to runners. He's doing what no one else in the world seems to be doing, which is raising performances by offering big-time money.