Side stiches (Read 732 times)

I just read this and though it was funny. I'll have to test this out soon. "10. Unstitch your side! If you're like most people, when you run, you exhale as your right foot hits the ground. This puts downward pressure on your liver (which lives on your right side), which then tugs at the diaphragm and creates a side stitch, according to The Doctors Book of Home Remedies for Men. The fix: Exhale as your left foot strikes the ground. " source (kind of interesting read): http://health.msn.com/menshealth/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100119940>1=7538
    - Lance
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Huh...I rarely get side-aches when running, anymore, but I used to get them when I was younger all the time. Guess my erratic breathing is a good thing! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

For some reason I have noticed mild stiches a few times lately. Not sure why...
        - Lance
          Generally, side stitches occur in new runners, or in runners that are just starting out after being away from running for quite some time. It usually isn't the first day, or even the first week, but they come early in a runner's training cycle. They eventually go away, and will rarely return. In the meantime, the pain is often relieved (while running) if you suck in your stomache and/or lift your arm (on the offending side) over your head. That has the effect of "stretching" your abdominable muscles, much as you would stretch out a muscle with a cramp. As you keep going on the current run, the pain eventually goes away (and you can let down your arm, btw).
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
            Thanks Pron8r. The first time I noticed it was my first run AFTER my first 5k. That was the worst and it was pretty difficult to keep going so I shortened my run. Since then I have noticed it several times, but very mildly. I tried to take very deep breaths and instinctively sucked in my stomach - and the discomfort mostly subsided.
            - Lance
            vicentefrijole

Generally, side stitches occur in new runners, or in runners that are just starting out after being away from running for quite some time. It usually isn't the first day, or even the first week, but they come early in a runner's training cycle. They eventually go away, and will rarely return. In the meantime, the pain is often relieved (while running) if you suck in your stomache and/or lift your arm (on the offending side) over your head. That has the effect of "stretching" your abdominable muscles, much as you would stretch out a muscle with a cramp. As you keep going on the current run, the pain eventually goes away (and you can let down your arm, btw).
              That's been my experience too.. I often get them but ONLY in the first week after I come back to running after a little break. I haven't tried the methods described here, but they sound good... I've always found that pressing on my abs (either side) helps, and I suspect that is probably for the same stretching reasons Pron8r listed above. Also, I should add that I've heard lots of people claim that getting more potassium (eat a banana before a run?) helps, but that might be complete hoooey. Wink