Chubby guy looking for all types of advice. (Read 1117 times)

huber

Thanks guys!
      One thing I haven't seen on here yet is the suggestion to join a running group. I know where I live we have at least two begining running groups for people to join. Call up your local running club (you can search for them on the internet) and ask them about group runs for beginners or running programs for beginners and go from there. I'm a huge advocate of joining a running group. If it weren't for the groups I belong to, I wouldn't still be running today (almost 4 years). I also coach running groups from beginers up to marathoners so I'm a little partial from that standpoint as well. If there isn't a group in your area, start one up yourself. Your group can consist of a handful of people who have the same goal as you. You'd be amazed at how many people want to start but don't want to do it on their own.
      Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Dieting is a change in lifestyle. It's getting out of bad habits and into good ones.
        There is a very critical point here. Losing weight temporarily is relatively easy. Lots of people do it. But if you want to make a permanent change to your health, you need to make a permanent change to your life. The trick is in building a new lifestyle that you love and will want to continue forever. Don't lose sight of the long view. It matters far more than how many pounds you can lose in any given month.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
          I'm also a proponent of calorie counting. I use the http://www.calorieking.com site to figure out calories - both intake (eating) and calorie burning (exercise). The rule of thumb I have heard is - and this is for people with a "desk job" that do not move around constantly all day - is to lose weight your net calorie intake should be your weight times 10. So if you are 260 lbs, you're base calories should be 2600 per day. I've seen some more aggressive programs say you should use your goal weight times 10 (i.e. if you want to get down to 180 lbs, your base calories should be 1800 per day). This should be the sum of all the calories you eat (and drink!) minus the exercise calories for that day. I believe the rule of thumb for maintenance calories (after you lose the weight) is your weight times 12. I followed this and lost 25 pounds in 4 months. The weight came off slowly - about 1-2 pounds per week - but it was consistent. That was four years ago! I had stopped counting calories a few months afterwards, and just started up again after my weight started to creep up over the past 6 months. By counting calories I "retaught" myself how to eat correctly. On the running side of things, I found that when I started running I was over training. As soon as I bought a heart rate monitor, I slowed down to a more comfortable pace and then gradually became a faster runner. I would have plateaued (or injured myself) early if I did not train with the HRM. Good luck!

SMART Approach

Huber, You are doing the right things. Just a couple words of advice from someone who has counseled hundreds on effective weight loss. 1. You need to be patient. Do the right things and focus on a permanent lifestyle change that is comfortable for you to continue the rest of your life. Don't think diet or deprivation. Think positive lifestyle changes. There is no secret to losing weight. The biggest challenge is keeping it off. Most focus on a goal, get there then revert back to old habits. If you change your lifestyle, you keep it off. 2. Exercise is very important but don't do more than you can handle. Running 5 days per week is agressive just starting out. Don't be afraid to mix in walking during your run or cross training once or twice per week. It takes a while for your body to adapt to the pounding even if not overweight. You don't want an overuse injury to affect your plan or knock you down mentally. Strength training and good shoes are very important. 3. Your attitude is everything. If you have a positive attitude and are focused and realize it will take some time, you will do just fine. Think long term vs. "I need to lose 50 lbs by July". As long as you are progressing that is great. Stick with and be smart about this. You should respond quite well. I have trained some state wrestlers and generally you probably have natural athleticism if you are a state champion. My experience shows people like you respond quickly. Plus, you are young. You will do great.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com