Hardest part of a run? (Read 1164 times)

Other than the obvious (getting out the door on a really cold, early morning, the wall, that really long steep hill), is there a part of your run that just seems harder than the rest? Where you think about walking more than usual or wonder why you decided to run this far or maybe just cut things shorter? For me, there are several points like this: - the first couple miles until I warm-up and get in the groove. - the middle of a long hill. - going against the auto-pilot reflex. (I often turn right here and head home, but tonight I will go straight instead and add a mile....) - any figure-eight loop type of intersection where I could cut my run shorter by heading home. Yours????
    Wingz

Professional Noob

LOL! That about covers it for me!

Roads were made for journeys...

Cryptic

cramps

Now that was a bath...

I usually find my approach to the midway point difficult. i get that 'Blimey, you aren't even half way through yet' feeling and have to push myself to not care about this! Also sometimes I struggle at the very end of a run. This might sound strange but I find my motivation wavers as I approach the final km. My mind has already mentally stopped and I have to trick myself into imagining that there is actually further to go than there is sometimes! Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
            For me it's the first mile and a half or so - everything always feels off when I'm not warmed up.

You'll ruin your knees!

Sometimes it's just getting out the door (I know, not what you wanted to hear), sometimes it's stopping! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Sometimes it's just getting out the door (I know, not what you wanted to hear), sometimes it's stopping! Lynn B
                I definately agree about getting out the door - the number of runs I have missed because I procrastinate and then it is too late is ridiculous. And I have never played by the rules, either, whether if be answering a question or behaving at times. And Lynn, I think anyone who has run over 100 miles at a time clearly has a problem stopping! Maybe we can work together and come up with a happy middle, OK?
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hardest part of a run? Stopping. Of course.
                  JakeKnight

My kind of answer. Oh, yeah.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

You sure its not avoiding the monkeys? Evil grin

madness baby

The hardest part of my run seems to change every week as my distances get longer. During 2 mile runs, it was the first half-mile, then from there it's usually whatever that middle mile is on my run. The end is great for me!!
                        deb
                          The first couple of miles, absolutely. It takes at least 2-3 miles before I feel like I'm in the groove, found my pace, breathing, etc. .... maybe that's why I'm such a horrible 5Ker? Wink
                          2009: BQ?
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The first couple of miles, absolutely. It takes at least 2-3 miles before I feel like I'm in the groove, found my pace, breathing, etc. .... maybe that's why I'm such a horrible 5Ker? Wink
                            Ditto. I'm not sure I will do any 5ks next year. I don't like them enough to want to spend the $$ on race fees. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slow-smooth-fast

Pretty much the same for me. The first 2 miles are sometimes that hard you fel like you dont want to carry on. But it is all worth it when you get in the groove

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pretty much the same for me. The first 2 miles are sometimes that hard you fel like you dont want to carry on. But it is all worth it when you get in the groove
                                Totally. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay