Intervals faster than PR?!? (Read 755 times)

Burninated Peasant

I had a very strange experience today. I went to do my normal interval workout at the track - today the goal was 6x800. I normally try to run it at a little under 3 min per 800. I felt a little sluggish when I started, so I pushed it a little, and wound up doing 2:42. Oops, a little fast, but not terribly unusual. I went through the rest of the workout, feeling sluggish the whole time, and ended up cutting the last one off so I could get home to the toilet. When I plugged the numbers into RA, it said I had an average per-mile time of 5:58 for the workout - that's a faster pace than my 5k PR, for a longer distance, and the 5k had better weather conditions. Does this happen to anyone else? Should I sprint/jog my next 5k?
    JakeKnight

I had a bunch of questions - starting with "are you sure you logged your recovery laps? - and then I peeked at your workout. Now I'll skip the questions and just make a comment: you need to go run a 5k. Smile Assuming that 9/2006 19:00ish run is the 5k PR you're talking about, that's 7-8 months ago. Looks like you've gotten significantly faster since then. Go run a race, then see if your intervals are really faster than your PR. Looks to me like you'll be sub-19 easily. I'm guessing the sprint/jog technique wouldn't work so well. Then again, you maintain a pretty fast pace on your recovery laps (too fast maybe? You might want to ask somebody smarter than me that one ...). After you set your next PR, maybe you could seriously try a sort of interval/fartlek race technique at the next one and see what happens.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't claim to be smarter than anyone, but I agree with JK -- it does look to me like you should run your recovery laps slower (shoot for a 2:05~2:10 per 400m). This would give you a little more juice for the work intervals, which matters a lot more than the rest intervals. Get thee to a 5k. You are ready to run sub-18:30, if I had to venture a very conservative guess (and I am rarely accused of being very conservative Wink).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Marquess of Utopia

Did you stop and rest before you ran your recovery lap? If not I think you should attempt to run a sub-18 minute 5K. But first I would reccomend running a 5K tempo run at about a 6 minute mile pace.
          mikeymike

Nope, never had that happen before and I'm pretty sure I never will. Unless there's something bizarre going on that you're not telling us, you should go out in about 5:45 at your next 5K. Your 5K PR is very, very soft.

Runners run

Burninated Peasant

The results from this morning aren't in line with what I typically run during intervals - my recovery laps are usually much slower. I think this is most likely to be a memory error (I don't have a watch that keeps track of it for me), especially since nobody else seems to have had that kind of experience. I know that the speed intervals are correct, but I'm going to bet that I remembered the recovery times wrong. I've only been using RA for a month, and my old spreadsheet didn't care what my recovery times were. It seems a little more difficult to remember both numbers. Ah well, it would have been pretty sweet if they were correct. I guess if it happens again next week, I'll believe it, otherwise I'm just going to assume that I messed it up somehow - I really don't feel like I'm in condition for a sub-18:00 5k.
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Whether or not your recoveries were that fast, your actual work intervals point to a pretty fast 5k -- definitely sub-19, and possibly sub-18:30 or 18:00. Like mikeymike said, you should try to go out around 5:45 first mile of your next race and see what happens. If you want a really good benchmark workout, you can try 3x1600 with 800m Recovery jog. The pace you can sustain for this workout is typically what you should be able to race a 5k at.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Did I miss something? I'm not sure I understand. You ran 800 meters as part of a threshold run and are suprised that you ran at a faster pace than a 5000 meter run? Do I have this right? I am not surprised. This is how it is supposed to be. Even JK knows that. Roll eyes A threshold run is supposed to be at about your 3k pace. The longer your race, the slower your pace (in general). So if you can run a 5k at a 6:00 pace, and then go out and run a half marathon at a 6:00 pace, your 5k is not reflective of your abilities. At the end of a race of any distance you should feel like you gave it exactly your all. So when you run a 3k, you should feel as if you could not run 3001 meters. Which is a roundabout way of saying, of course your 800 meter threshold run was at a pace faster than your 5000 meter race pace. That is how you are supposed to run them. McMillan agrees. According to McMillan, your 800 meter intervals should be run in 2:46.9 to 2:54.5 for an 19:00 5k and 2:38.1 to 2:45.3 for an 18:00 5k. The pace for those intervals are faster than the corrolary 5k paces.
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Did I miss something? I'm not sure I understand. You ran 800 meters as part of a threshold run and are suprised that you ran at a faster pace than a 5000 meter run? Do I have this right?
                    I think the surprise is that he ran this whole workout (all 5600m of it, including intervals and recoveries) at a total average pace of 5:58, which is faster than his listed 5k PR pace of of 6:12. Which basically means it's time to race a 5k, because his 5k PR is about to be toasted.

JakeKnight

Trent has some minor reading comprehension issues. We just call him "special." Try grunting. He speaks monkey fluently.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Got it. So 20:43 for the 5600 meters? I see. That is about 18:31 for the 5000 meters. It looks like the recoveries were not real recoveries; they were pretty fast. I agree, a new 5k PR is in order.
                          It looks like the recoveries were not real recoveries;
                          Recoveries between "Repeatitions" is when you go slow, or walk, to fully recover. Recoveries between "Intervals" are meant to be short ( 1/2 the distance or time) so during the next interval your Heart is quickly back up to the effort for which intervals are meant to accomplish.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right. I wonder if a 6:40 pace to a 5:30 interval is really slow enough to allow recovery. It sure ain't walking.
                              Intervals are tough as hell when done correctly. You DO NOT get a full RECOVERY! Nor should you seek one, if so you are, you're just doing "Repeats". Stand! Sheesh!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

mikeymike

The results from this morning aren't in line with what I typically run during intervals - my recovery laps are usually much slower. I think this is most likely to be a memory error (I don't have a watch that keeps track of it for me), especially since nobody else seems to have had that kind of experience. I know that the speed intervals are correct, but I'm going to bet that I remembered the recovery times wrong. I've only been using RA for a month, and my old spreadsheet didn't care what my recovery times were. It seems a little more difficult to remember both numbers. Ah well, it would have been pretty sweet if they were correct. I guess if it happens again next week, I'll believe it, otherwise I'm just going to assume that I messed it up somehow - I really don't feel like I'm in condition for a sub-18:00 5k.
                                Okay that would be the "something bizarre going on" that I was referring to and makes more sense. Maybe it's time for a new watch? My $30 timex ironman sleek keeps track of laps no problem and it's easy to recall them later.

Runners run