2-in-1 Shorts (Read 3072 times)

I think you might be confused. 2-in-1 shorts are exactly like having compression sports underneath running shorts. Why are you bringing up speedos or swimsuits?

Not confused, and if you look at most liners, they have very little in common with UA compression shorts

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Not confused, and if you look at most liners, they have very little in common with UA compression shorts

+1.  The majority of shorts I do have with a liner are really thin and light.  Definitely need something in addition to just the liner or I'd be bouncing all over the place.  I do have some good shorts from Roadrunner with the compression type tights underneath that holds everything in place great.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

+1.  The majority of shorts I do have with a liner are really thin and light.  Definitely need something in addition to just the liner or I'd be bouncing all over the place.  I do have some good shorts from Roadrunner with the compression type tights underneath that holds everything in place great.

I have one pair of (Asics?) shorts with a thin liner.  It makes chafing a lot worse for me.

ilp

So I've tried a bunch of different 2-in-1 shorts after this, and a bunch of other shorts, as I've been doing 1hr+ runs a plenty and I need chafe protection (and Bodyglide doesn't do it).

For the original poster, I recommend you try Mizuno Ascend 2-in-1, since you seem to have monster thighs (if Asics rides up for you enough to bother you). The Mizuno Ascend is not tight on my thighs, and the seam of the back of the leg moves up and down as I run (whereas in other compression shorts, the compression short stays in place). The seam movement pisses me off, so I wore these twice and that is it. By the way, if anyone wants a pair of Mizuno Ascend Black/Sol in men's M for real cheap, let me know.

I've worn the Asics many more times and they only ride up a touch on me, still stay low enough and don't cause issues. The fabric is a touch thicker than I like.

Then I tried the Brooks Infiniti Notch Short II 2-in-1 short and that one is the opposite: it's for those with smaller thighs (and in that case, why would you wear this short?) The compression liner is so short that it easily rides up on my thighs. However, for me, it still seems to do the trick and I don't really get the chafing, even though the outer short's crotch is in between skin and not the compression part. I would not buy this short again, but since I bought it and wore it, no returns for me.

I also tried the Nike Men's 5" 2-in-1 short and that one got returned right away. It seemed to have a bit of a saggy crotch on the compression shorts, which seems to defeat the purpose a little. It just didn't seem to be all that great to be worth keeping.

Finally, it seems that I also found the answer in shorter regular running briefs-style shorts (which for me, being of a younger generation, is a harder pill to swallow). The trick is to look for shorts that have the smallest (outseam - inseam) difference. This seems to indicate that the top-of-inseam line sits higher relative to your waist, which means that the really bulky portion of the fabric (which is the top-of-inseam/crotch/whatever line) sits high enough to not get rubbed between thighs.

I found that Puma Men's Baggy Short 7" does the trick and is still longer, but the Nike Racing 5" (or whatever exaclty it's called, it's a popular 5" Nike short) doesnt do the trick. Also the Nike 9" Livestrong running shorts definitely don't do the trick (ouch thighs).

I also liked the Mizuno Aero Square short, as it has super lightweight fabric, and the Mizuno Mustang (while a little shorter than the Aero Square) still works well too. I'm also digging the Salomon Men's XT II Lite Short (though it's pricey). With the shorter regular-brief-type shorts, I do get some ride-up in the middle (so you get a diagonal line on  your leg, from outside and rising in), so if that bothers you, keep the length longer or stay with 2-in-1's.

katelewis18

Recently I have shop 2-in -1 pair of Augusta training/athletic shorts they really are reliable and makes my comfort level that my body requires. While running you consider that sweat not shown on body and secondly they fabric used in shorts is of best quality & Augusta comprises with both features.

http://www.apparelnbags.com/athleticwear-athletic-shorts.htm

katelewis18

Thank you Friends for giving some useful suggestions..

spartanrob

Great thread.  This is something i've struggled with forever.  I typically wear Nike Combat compression under a pair of 'work-out' shorts.  The problem for me is, many or most of these 'work-out' shorts are too baggy.  I want an short that doesn't flop around when I run.  I've tried a bunch of 2-1 and none of them work, the compression part isn't long enough.

I love the Nike Combat compression, now if i can just find something to wear over it.  I'll try soccer shorts as someone suggested here.  Basketball shorts are awful, too long and too baggy.  Additionally, i really like having a picket or two in the front.

As far as body glide goes, love it!.  Helps on the toes, thighs and nipples.  Never run without it!

Nike makes a Combat compression 2-in-1 short that is a pretty good.  The 5" inseam is adequate, despite my fears of over-exposure. Wink The short part is great with a back zipper pocket for gel/keys.  Full disclosure:  the Combat compression tight is really little too tight for my size thigh.  I had to pop the seam thread around the leg to make it more comfortable.  But it sounds like it works for you, so check it out.  Either way, it does wonders eliminating regional chafing.

Oddly, I have another Nike 2-in-1 that the compression short part is more relaxed around the cuff, so it fits my thighs perfectly.  I have two pairs of the Combat compression and both fit the same and then 2 pairs of the other Nike shorts which fit me great.  I have no idea why there is so much variation between these.  I think they used two models, one was a marathoner and one was a sprinter... Smile