3 races - 1 day (Read 101 times)

ud32

Found a trail race where I have the option of running one or three events - Half Marthon, 10K and 5K. Depending on how fast I run I guestimate I have anywhere from 15 to 40 minutes between each race. I am considering doing all 3 for a fun new challenge. I ran my first full marathon this past November. I reduced mileage a bit since then - averaging 26 a week for the past 2 months while training for an upcoming 5K. Longest runs have been in 8-12 mile range for past 2 months.

5K is in 2 weeks - after that I'd have about 5 weeks to train for the "triple trail races".

Trying to decide if I have enough mileage base in the tank to do this or if it is a mistake. If I do it should I just go back to higher mileage basebuilding for a month ? I was thinking I should do a few 2 runs in one day to get used to how stopping and re-starting after a break.....Thoughts ?

---Sounds a bit pricey?  But if price is no issue and you want to do it, then I would.   I ran 2 races in the same day this weekend as a matter of fact, about 15 minutes separated the two.  I did it for the fun of it, and was pretty tired afterwards.  I didn't have a very fast "1 mile" in the second race because of just running a 5K race all-out 15 minutes before, but I had fun and call it "good training".  Running on tired legs, thus doing that mile race after an all-out 5K was "Beneficial training."  :-)

---If the 5K and 10K precede the Half, then your half time will suffer of course.   Your best possible result would only come in that first race, and if you do that first race at 100%, then it might make the 10K and half just a mere "training run" or "time on feet" kind of run.   What you have to decide is if you are going for a PR in the Half and want to have best possible performance, or if the running of all 3 races (and getting in some good training by running 3 back to back) is more important.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

On On

Found a trail race where I have the option of running one or three events - Half Marthon, 10K and 5K. Depending on how fast I run I guestimate I have anywhere from 15 to 40 minutes between each race. I am considering doing all 3 for a fun new challenge. I ran my first full marathon this past November. I reduced mileage a bit since then - averaging 26 a week for the past 2 months while training for an upcoming 5K. Longest runs have been in 8-12 mile range for past 2 months.

5K is in 2 weeks - after that I'd have about 5 weeks to train for the "triple trail races".

Trying to decide if I have enough mileage base in the tank to do this or if it is a mistake. If I do it should I just go back to higher mileage basebuilding for a month ? I was thinking I should do a few 2 runs in one day to get used to how stopping and re-starting after a break.....Thoughts ?

It would seem to come down to what are your goals and what do you want to get out of this experience.  I have run that event but I did the Marathon.  For the same cost I was able to do the full while others were out running the shorter distances.  If I remember correctly the course has no killer hills and you can plod along at a decent pace for most of the race.  Not a lot of roots or rocks though you go through the river twice on every loop.  It was waist high or so the year I ran.

One other aspect that may make a difference to you or not, you can't tell what race the other competitors are running and you all finish down the same path.  My friend was doing well in the Marathon and this guy comes flying up his side and then the two of them got into a sprint finish.  Turns out my friend was finishing the Marathon and this other guy the 10K or something.

ud32

..............  Not a lot of roots or rocks though you go through the river twice on every loop.  It was waist high or so the year I ran.

Hmm, not real thrilled about having to cross the river twice. My luck I'll get injured or get some nasty blisters from running the rest of the rac ein wet shoes and socks! May have to check out the course map. Perhaps just opt for one of the three races and shoot for a good time instead of just finishing all three. Thanks