12 min. run (Read 1624 times)

bricord

Hello Folks,

I have to run 1.5 miles in under 12 min. in 3 weeks. I have been running every other day 1.5 to 2.5. I have been running 2 and 1's, 400m sprints and 1.5 as hard as I can. My times have been 12:30 to 14:00. I am working but need to improve. Also weight training in there also. Can anyone suggest a small hard work program.

dennrunner

At what point does this qualify as a comet? SRL?

MTA:

To the original poster: Ignore my post!

Am I doing this right?

Do you get to run the 1.5 miles w/ others in a group?  With your adrenaline and having others around to pace, you have a good chance to cut 30 secs off come race day.

No excuses....

bricord

yes there will be others around me, all trying to hit there 12 min. goals

xor

Is this a military or fire/police test?

What I don't understand is why they always wait until 2-3 weeks out to start/ask about training.  I mean, I'd understand if some of them did, and some of them asked further out, but its seems like it's ALWAYS 2-3 weeks out.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

bricord

1st off it is what it is, I will make it. I just thought there might be something that I could change. I'm working hard. I am a American Football Official. This is the test we are using this year.

bricord

1st off it is what it is, I will make it. I just thought there might be something that I could change. I'm working hard. I am a American Football Official. This is the test we are using this year.

The cooper test

They should be giving you eye tests... Not run tests.

JK best of luck mate. 

mdmccat

Funny, this is the second time I'm criticising such a military-like so-called "fitness" test this past week.  I would in fact very much like some military fitness testing expert like Sport Jester to chip in and explain a thing or two here--which he never did with other thread.

Back in 1970, there were 37 people in the US die on a local high school track with a stopwatch in hand.  They were doing a 12-minute test. 

Imagine this; someone set a bogus standard and said; "You need to be 5'10" to pass this test..."  Sure, for most people, that's fine but what if you bring it to, say, elementary school?  A lot of boys are smaller than that.  It'll be another few years until their purberty kicks in and they actually grow taller.  To tell someone; "Okay, you need to run a mile and a half in 12-minutes in 2 weeks," is like that actually.  It takes approximately 18~20 years for your body to grow; same thing--it takes a few months of well-balanced program to gain some level of aerobic fitness; particularly this day and age when most kids grown up playing video games watching TV--most kids don't grow up working in the farm or running around barefoot through the park any more. 

I believe the second edition of the book that had popularized this 12-minute test came out very quickly thereafter and this test was revised also.  Yet, out of pure ignorance and convenience, people still use this 12-minute test.  Giving this test, particularly without any adequate workout program for at least 6 weeks prior to the test, to me, is nothing but some irresponsible and stupid convenient way of toying with one's "fitness".  I don't know if you are actually a player who would have to take a test or the official who is giving the test (I know football coaches/players seem to love to do this test for whatever the reason which seems rather ironic to me because American football is one sport I would think anything like such aerobic fitness actually counts so they have no need for such aerobic "fitness" but the standard of the "fitness" testing remained...).

Like you said, if you are the one who would have to take the test, it is what it is and you probably wouldn't have no choice unfortunately.  All you can do is to do as much easy jogging as possible from now on till the test time and hope for the best, instead of trying to run a mile or two--I believe that's what you meant when you said "1 or 2"--with all-out 400m run here and there.  That's probably one of the worst things you could do to pull your current condition down as well as increase the chance of getting hurt.  Instead, try to do 30 minutes EVERYDAY at easy pace.  If you have to take the following day off, that probably means you're pushing yourself too much.  Your fitness will improve this way and, as your fitness improves, your time will come down.  If you are in the position to pick the appropriate test, drop that and do some more homework on some basic human physiology and psychology and perhaps come up with a PROGRAM instead of a forceful test.

A Saucy Wench

Instead, try to do 30 minutes EVERYDAY at easy pace.  If you have to take the following day off, that probably means you're pushing yourself too much.  Your fitness will improve this way and, as your fitness improves, your time will come down. 

I'm just quoting the core of Nobby's advice.  Because its worth repeating twice. 

(yeah Nobby, the test is stupid, but it is what it is...I failed that f'er in 11th grade and it's pissed me off ever since)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jeffdonahue

My wife was actually telling me the other day about a similar test at a private high school.  From what she said, when the kids go to try out for the soccer team they have to do a 2 mile run.  At the end of 12 minutes they blow the whistle (I must admit that sounds way to fast to be requiring the kdis to run, maybe it was just a mile and a half) and anyone who isnt done, is told to leave.  The ones that finished can try out for the team.  then, after those kids try out, if there are any spots not filled, the slower kids can come back to vie for those spots.

xor

I went to a high school that did this test each year exactly as you described.

My wife was actually telling me the other day about a similar test at a private high school.  From what she said, when the kids go to try out for the soccer team they have to do a 2 mile run.  At the end of 12 minutes they blow the whistle (I must admit that sounds way to fast to be requiring the kdis to run, maybe it was just a mile and a half) and anyone who isnt done, is told to leave.  The ones that finished can try out for the team.  then, after those kids try out, if there are any spots not filled, the slower kids can come back to vie for those spots.

That is pretty fast to have to run.  I was a lazy bum in high school and hated running and conditioning.  I couldn't run 2 miles that fast, yet, I was the leading scorer every year. 

They should at least let those that don't finish try out for goalkeeper.

I imagine it is a time saver to the people using the test.  simply make people sign a waiver and use it as a screening tool.  being objective and fair at the same time is too hard and subject to claims of descrimination.  make a time on a clock and it's considered "fair". 

as to the original question, 12 minutes is still mostly aerobic and not anaerobic.  run slow and easy and develop your aerobic conditioning.  someone who can run a relaxed easy 3 miles in 28-30 minutes probably can run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes to pass a test.   high school mile runners most often spend their first month of training getting up to 8 miles as a long run and sometimes more than 12 miles.  but they are only racing 1 mile.