Wisdom Teeth, or Lack Thereof -How Long to Recover?- (Read 943 times)

I just had the pleasant experience of walking into a building, being knocked out, having part of my body stolen, and paying the fellows who did it for the privilage.  They did leave me this nice bottle of narcotics to pass the time, so I guess its not all bad....

However, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with such a rude interruption to their training as minor surgery, specifically having their teeth taken away in a brutal manner(I mean, there were carpenters tools in the freakin operating room!).  Thoughts on the time I should allow myself to recover before I start my trainings again?  Wuts the earliest I can get back out on the streets, trails, and pool again, anyone know?

Hays in the barn. Sack it up. Get After it. Just one more mile, just one more mile, just one more sad little mile in my miles of trials. God, how I do love every last one of them.

i dont see any reason you cant continue immediately on a normal schedule. of course this depend on a couple things:

1. did they have to drill in? recovery is much better when the teeth havent breached the gum line.

2. is there still pain? if training hurts, no bueno.

3. no codine cocktails. dont drug up and go ride through rush hour traffic.

i remember when i got mine taken out they gave me tylenol with codine. if thats what youre on you prolly wont have much desire to do anything but lay in bed. it took a few days for the pain to leave, and a good week for the swelling.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It differs so much from person to person!  I got over it really easily when I was a teenager, but my 17-year-old son had a horrible time.  He missed an entire week of school and did not feel like running at ALL.  Playing it by ear is about all you can do. Good luck!!

I got some nice Viciden+Tylenol, and am doubling up by popping the ibuprofen hoping to make my face less of a balloon.  The pain isn't even noticeable at the end of day 0, and while I hear i peaks around day 2-3, since hunger is a bigger annoyance right now than the pain, I think I'm well off.  Though, since I am operating on I think 1000 cals today and normally intake 5-15k, I am a bit worried I may lose weight, and at 4ish % body fat that could be an issue.

The doc said day 4 is possible, so I'm hoping for a token run on saturday depending on how I feel.  They were below the gum line, dunno if drilling was involved or not.  I just know I went to sleep perfectly fine and woke up looking and feeling like a rather largeset fellow punched me in the face.  Lots.  Then gave me Novacain, but still.

Hays in the barn. Sack it up. Get After it. Just one more mile, just one more mile, just one more sad little mile in my miles of trials. God, how I do love every last one of them.
          keeponrunning

Play it by feel.  When I had mine out, I felt fine the day after, did Kiwanis (music festival) in the morning and wanted to go to school looking like a chipmunk, but my piano teacher and family insisted I don't.  I went for a run the next day without telling them first.  I felt fine, but I know they would have banned me.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

A Saucy Wench

I on the other hand was out of commission for 4-5 days after mine.  A lot has to do with how impacted and how you handle the anesthesia

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

on the bright side, pudding party!

under a rock

As a teen I ignored the Dr's warning and went out dancing two nights after having three wisdom teeth removed. I ended up with dry socket. Very painful, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. When you do head out for a run monitor the empty sockets. If you suddenly notice blood then you may have lost one of the clots over a socket. If that happens I'd go to the Dr to get it checked, better safe than in horrendous pain.
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I was back at it after about 4 days.  I was very paranoid about dry socket, so I always brought water with me on the run for a few weeks-- I had this idea that all for the extra breathing while running might cause a dry-socket issue, but I have no idea whether that has any basis in fact.

My favorite memory of the whole experience was the crazy, giggly euphoria after I awoke from surgery.  I kept laughing at everyone I saw, particularly other patients in recovery.    And when the nurse left the recovery room for a few minutes, she came back to find me crouched behind a filing cabinet, laughing my ass off.

MTA:  Ooh, just read runslikeagirl's post from above.   Guess I was right to bring water.  Or just lucky.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My favorite memory of the whole experience was the crazy, giggly euphoria after I awoke from surgery.  I kept laughing at everyone I saw, particularly other patients in recovery.    And when the nurse left the recovery room for a few minutes, she came back to find me crouched behind a filing cabinet, laughing my ass off.

Did anyone get this on video...?   Are you sure this wasn't you?

Years ago DS had oral surgery with that level of sedation that is just 1 degree milder than general.  He came out of it PISSED...sobbing and bitching at everyone.  Which is pretty much reverse of his usual sunny disposition.  It was pretty funny.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

coastwalker

Everybody does respond differently, so you have to go by how you feel, and what your dentist recommends. But I think the general rule of thumb (or tooth...) is that if the bleeding has stopped completely and the discomfort is gone (or close to gone), then you are OK to do some easy running. I imagine you can do some pool work at almost any time, as long as you don't have any open wounds.

I'd also get off the meds as quickly as you can. You won't really know how you feel until you stop masking any discomfort with those drugs. However, if you still need the meds, you're probably not ready for a run.

Good luck!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Did anyone get this on video...?   Are you sure this wasn't you?

Sadly, no.  This was, like 15 years ago.  I am told that my commentary during the the car ride home was priceless, and no doubt similar to the video.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sadly, no.  This was, like 15 years ago.  I am told that my commentary during the the car ride home was priceless, and no doubt similar to the video.

I've had general twice and both times came back out from being under VERY fast.  The 2nd time I had general I woke up as they just started wheeling me out of the OR.  Very surreal and brief moment of confusion, then good and ready to get dressed and go home shortly thereafter.  I could have stayed overnight, but wanted my own bed.  DH had general for the first time this Spring and it took him HOURS to be fully conscious (and he nearly puked in my car on the way home--I told him to ask for Zofran to avoid the nausea, but he wouldn't listen).

Re: the OP, I would think after having wisdoms removed that taking it easy for a few days is a good plan.  Even if there is no pain, sedation can have some weird lingering effects for a few days.  No sense needing to be treated for a trip-and-fall injury on top of the dental issues.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The interesting thing about anesthesia is that the part of your brain that senses the passing of time essentially gets turned off.  So unlike sleeping, where you wake up knowing that you've been down for a while, you can wake up from anesthesia feeling like no time has passed at all, and/or have no sense of wehn things actually happened.  I remember waking from my hernia surgery a few years ago thinking, "are they gonna do this damn surgery or not?  I can't believe they haven't started."  Then I felt the pain and realized it was already done.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, it's surreal.  I had a surgery that took 4 hours.  It's weird to think that there are 4 "missing" hours of my life.

~ Sarah Kay