What's the weather like where you are? (Read 2090 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

In Juneau we just got thrgh a week of sub 10 degrees and now things have warmed up to the high 20s plus we got a bonus of 2 feet of snow in 48 hours. That's on top of the 44 inches of snow we got the week before that. I have been shoveling and not running so my arms are getting the workout that my legs used to. Me and my kids are going out this afternoon to make snowmen that look like us. Mine will have running clothes on. I haven't run in a week and I am going later on whether my arms are tired or not!
    Isn't there a sport of running with snowshoes on?

Roads were made for journeys...

Here in lovely Leominster, MA it's 41 degrees, with a lovely moon peeking through some wispy clouds. We're anticipating the first snow of the season but, it won't be here 'til after 3 AM. Last night on my run it was in the high 30's but, with a wicked wind made it seem far colder. The next 3 out of 4 days have the chance of snow so, I'll know shortly if I have adequate winter gear. Old Man Winter, bring it on.
        Our high here today was a beautiful 64 degrees--absolutely wonderful for December--but the wind is enough to knock you over. Right now it is registering at 18 mph with gusts to 30 mph, and I can say that the gusts are more common than the lulls. Nothing like being propelled backwards!

Dog-Love

Isn't there a sport of running with snowshoes on?
          Yeah...the teenage cross country team trains all winter with snow shoes. I might try that sometime down the line but if there is this much snow one should be skiing!
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
            Winter finally made an appearance here in the Northeast. We got a little snow this morning--not enough to amount to anything just enough to mess up the a.m. commute. Unfortunately this little bit of snow cost me 2 days of running. I freaked out yesterday when I saw snow in the forecast because the landscaper we'd hired to do Fall cleanup still hadn't come. So fearing the thick layer of leaves would get snowed in and frozen in place until Spring, I went out with my rake and tools and did the whole village yesterday. I had a 5 PM deadline since that's when our town's compost center closed for the season. So 8 hours of hard labor, 3 trips to the compost in the Pilot with 32 bags and one big barrel of leaves and a lot of sore muscles this morning later and I'm done. And I saved myself $400+ to boot. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to run yesterday--and today I'm too damned sore to even bend over to tie my running shoes. I'll get after it tomorrow. I'm trying not to freak out about the lost days. I usually try to give myself a free pass between Thanksgiving and New Years to slack off a bit. Basically any running I do this time of year is a bonus and is just base I won't have to rebuild in January. But this year is different since I have just made a major comeback and have just a tiny nagging fear of falling off the wagon. Probably not a realistic fear at this point but keeps me motivated.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ack, so glad I'm not running today... Rest Of Today...Widespread snow showers. New snow accumulation 2 to 4 inches. Temperatures steady in the mid 20s. Southwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Gusts up to 35 mph in the afternoon. Chance of snow 100 percent. Wind chill is 10º Brrr.... k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah...the teenage cross country team trains all winter with snow shoes. I might try that sometime down the line but if there is this much snow one should be skiing!
                Not THAT bad here!! I have seen it like that here but not often!! Someday I hope to see the Inside Passage!! Some family history there from more than 100 years ago and I'd love to see it first hand.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

75 degrees Big grin
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

75 degrees Big grin
                    *Chases after Chris to mete out a beating, slips and falls on ice, bruises elbow and ass, lays in snow crying and swearing*

~ Sarah Kay

derek

I'm in S. Fla this week on business....actually, working at my company's head office. I normally telecommute from home in TX. Its 80F. Seems a bit warm to run outside I plan to just run on the treadmill in the hotel.

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Its 80F. Seems a bit warm to run outside I plan to just run on the treadmill in the hotel.
                        Don't make me come down there and beat you, too! Seriously, peeps, if we upper Midwesterners can run in 90º with 95% humidity in the Summers and Winter windchills in the - range, then you goofballs down south should be able to run in 85º. I seriously would give anything for weather like that right now. I'm already wondering how I will run all Winter when they don't do a very good job of clearing our roads and my favorite paved paths don't get cleared at all. My possible routes are cut down to about a 1/3 and they are a mess. I really hope we have an easy Winter...though I hear it's predicted to be an especially bad one... Sad k

~ Sarah Kay

Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain welcome to the South of England in the winter. Good job skin is water repellent! 48 degrres F. Warm for this time of year. This is my first post! Found this website looking for software to measure my runs.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, Bristol! I was in London for a semester back in the early 90s (Jan-April). I remember when they got a "snowstorm" that left an inch or two...it nearly paralyzed the city. 48º does sound pretty warm from what I can recall. Seems that there were a lot of days in the low 40s and sort of drizzly. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

My dogs are fast, not me

Ugh! It's 27F here with a wind chill of 21F. At least that's what it was at 5:30 am. But, no whining from me. Put my stuff on and didn't think once about not running. DH was still wrapped up in bed and I heard his voice "What time is it". "5:30" "Are you going running?" "Yes" "What's the temp?" "27" "You're crazy" "It won't be too bad" "You're really crazy" I know you guys understand. Smile

Robin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Boom, boom, ain't it great to be crazy? Boom, boom, ain't it great to be nuts like us? Giddy and foolish the whole day through Boom, boom, ain't it great to be crazy?

~ Sarah Kay