Bill Rodgers (Read 294 times)

Not sure if anyone's looked at the recent RT, but it's got an excerpt from Bill Roders' Marathon Man.  I'm definitely looking to pick this book up, once I get through some other stuff.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Nads, I saw him at the race I did last night. Him and his brother had a table and he was signing and selling the book. Line was too long, but I'm definitely looking to to grab this book as well.

Nads, I saw him at the race I did last night. Him and his brother had a table and he was signing and selling the book. Line was too long, but I'm definitely looking to to grab this book as well.

Yeah, well, you already had your picture taken with Mikeymike. Good not to get too greedy.

RSX

He is a great ambassador to the sport, and has signed a few things for me including 2 books. I'm sure that book is in my future. He is such a humble guy. If you see him speak, he doesnt do well with prepared speeches. Once he answers questions he does great and is very interesting.

BeeRunB

I read it and enjoyed it. Learned a lot about what it was like for the elites back then.

Cool

Read this book as well.  Two thumbs up.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Enjoyable read. A friend got it for me as a gift for a recent marathon performance.

Recommend.

biddy-biddy

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

He is a great ambassador to the sport, and has signed a few things for me including 2 books. I'm sure that book is in my future. He is such a humble guy. If you see him speak, he doesnt do well with prepared speeches. Once he answers questions he does great and is very interesting.

If you're lucky enough to chat with Boston Billy, you'll probably find that he is more interested in discussing your running than his own.  He's quite a character, and a real class act.

I can't find it, but no so long ago I saw a picture of Bill sitting on the floor of an apartment near the start line in Hopkinton.  The room was full of great runners just hanging out at a friend's place on the morning of the marathon, things really have changed for elite runners.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

A couple of months ago was the screening of "Spirit of the Marathon" and I went.

Walked into the movie theater and sitting at a table was Bill Rodgers as he had come to see the movie too.  I didnt really want to bother him but walked over and said HI and he responded warmly.   Sat and talked to him for a few minutes but since it was an evening out for him and a couple of friends, I left after just a few minutes.  He was really a nice guy and generous with his time.

There were a number of other people that stopped and talked to him and he was very gracious to us all..

Champions are made when no one is watching

If you're lucky enough to chat with Boston Billy, you'll probably find that he is more interested in discussing your running than his own.  He's quite a character, and a real class act.

His brother Charie is as well. I use to go visit them at their store during lunch. I had to stop because I would be late coming back to work.

TJoseph

Thanks for the tip.  I just bought it on my Kindle.  I will read it when I am done with my current book.

jfa

Finished it a couple of weeks ago. Great guy and good book. It's incredible the amount of miles that he ran during training.

TJoseph

I noticed there are only a couple dozen reviews on Amazon.  You would think there would be more if it was published in April.  I guess his potential audience is very small.

I noticed there are only a couple dozen reviews on Amazon.  You would think there would be more if it was published in April.  I guess his potential audience is very small.

Yeah. Another cool book, which was published in '06, has only 25 reviews.