Running as a bandit - can it be justified? (Read 449 times)

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I guess the recent discussion about RnR / CGI has prompted me to open a discussion

I am sometimes tempted to run races as a bandit and give the corresponding entry fee to a charity, but I have trouble justifying this. What is to stop me from:

- paying the race fee and at the same time making an equivalent donation to a charity (expense?)

- not running the race and making a donation (I like running races?)

- running the course the day before and making a donation (safety?)

Every way you turn it, it seems to me I would be taking advantage of the work put in by the organizers without paying for it.

And quid for the other runners, who have paid their dues?

On the other hand, I am quite happy to be self-sufficient and run with my hydration belt and gels, so I am not really "taking" anything from the organizers (but I'm still benefiting)

IAnd if a steward trys to stop me or a runner makes a comment due to the fact I don't have a bib number, perhaps I can leave them a small text printed on a business card-size piece of paper explaining what I am doing?

Thoughts and comments?

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

MoBramExam

"Running as a bandit - can it be justified?"

NO

ymmv

I've considered joining the 2nd half of the National (now RnR) Marathon to pace a friend or just enjoy running with them.

The second half is a lonely road compared with the first half, with all the half marathoners finished and eating and drinking up all of the post race food and beer.

Also, the prospect of being banned from future RnR races has it own special appeal.

Feeling the growl again

Also, the prospect of being banned from future RnR races has it own special appeal.

As anti-bandit as I am, this has its own special appeal.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Julia1971

I've considered joining the 2nd half of the National (now RnR) Marathon to pace a friend or just enjoy running with them.

The second half is a lonely road compared with the first half, with all the half marathoners finished and eating and drinking up all of the post race food and beer.

You could bring a bus load of bandits and no one would notice so long as you drop out by mile 25.  Smile

The second half gets a bad rap.  It makes you appreciate the bag tax.  The Anacostia looks much better than when I first ran the race years ago. And, only wimps need crowd support...  RUN!

(Sigh).  As you know, I love that race.  The RnR makes me sad.  Cry  Having MCM as our only marathon makes me sadder.

Every way you turn it, it seems to me I would be taking advantage of the work put in by the organizers without paying for it.

This is correct.

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Here's a link to a bandit thread with links to bandit threads on RA.

- paying the race fee and at the same time making an equivalent donation to a charity (expense?)

- not running the race and making a donation (I like running races?)

- running the course the day before and making a donation (safety?)

Some other options. Ask the RD if he/she needs volunteers - marking the course the day before, running sweep, cleaning up. And you can still donate to the charity. But you've also given something to the running community.

You can also run the course any other day of the year, unless it goes through private property (some races get a special 1-day permit). And you can still donate to the charity.

OR, you could put on a race yourself and see how much work is involved in all the permitting, insurance, getting course and aid stations ready, timing, posting times, awards, t-shirts, porta-potties, etc.

Actually, up here, we do have a couple trail races that are free - get enough income from other races to cover any costs, like permit and some chips for post-race potluck.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

No.  It cannot be justified.

Exactly.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Will run for scenery.

As a runner (not a racer!), one of the big things I like about races is the comraderie.  Having all the other folks around me makes it more exciting and enjoyable than running alone.  I think most folks feel this way.

But there's a balance.  Overcrowded roads/trails/portapotties are no fun, and nobody wants to feel like they are being taken advantage of.  So when I see a bandit, I usually find it annoying.  Either be part of the event or pick another day to run.

So my reason not to bandit : to not annoy the other runners.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

I'm pretty agnostic about bandits. Back in 2007 after learning the Manchester (NH) Marathon was sold out, I pleaded with the RD to let me in the race. Her response was something like "our permit only allows us to have xxx runners so I can't let you in, but you can always bandit." I did not run that race.

I guess I bandited a race down here (swfl) this year, I ran it to pace my daughter who I had entered. It was a 5k put on by my running club, which puts on about 15 races a year, all of which I enter and run when my schedule permits. I knew many of the competitors and just about all the staff/volunteers. Don't feel bad at all about it.

RSX

Boston gets 2-3,000 bandits a year, not saying I did it ever or anything. I do think that it's great that they allow for the extra water/Gatorade and they never run out like you hear for some races.

Docket_Rocket

+1

There is a girl in my running group that appears to run every race I am at yet, her results are never shown.  I suspected her to be a bandit and confirmed it when I couldn't run a HM I had registered for and she asked for the bib.  To me, banditing or using someone's bib when it's not allowed by the race organizers is unjustifiable.

I would call it theft and to me it is theft, but it is such a hard word.

"Running as a bandit - can it be justified?"

NO

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

A more egregious example which I forgot about... Back in 1986/7 (18 yrs old) I worked in a bar exactly on the Falmouth Road Race starting line. For years, employees and friends of the bar would congregate in the bar the morning of the race  and go shooting out the door at the starting gun. I did it one year, it was fun. I was in pretty good shape but the elites and near elites were flying by like I was standing still. So, I'm sorry for that.  The guy that owned the bar used to host some of the elite men at his house, so that's how I met Bill Rodgers and Alberto Salazar. I think they were okay with us banditing the race since what we were doing wasn't exactly a secret.

Best Present Ever

There's a local group that puts on for-profit races. RnR level prices, but with really horrible support and behaving in lots of really shitty ways to the well-established local running community and local track club.  I run their key annual race every year as a bandit, and am unapologetic.  It's become kind of a tradition.  It's on beautiful roads that are not easy to run on because of traffic ordinarily.  I don't start at the start, and I don't run across the finish line, which is my concession to respecting their 'race.' I'm happy to drink their water though.  They are happy to convince people that they are raising money for 'charity.'  When you ask though, they contribute a portion of their proceeds IF they have made enough money, and it works out to almost nothing.   Almost everything they say about the race is a lie, from "register early, the race often sells out!" (it never has) to "gently rolling course" which causes many tears among the out-of-towners ....  It is gently rolling compared to seriously hilly races, but not for the non-running bucket list crowd they tend to attract.