Rain, rain... go away... (Read 1367 times)

Was raining pretty good this morning at 5:20 when my alarm went off. After "snoozing" for 10 minutes, I happened to look outside and noticed that the rain had stopped; I begrudgingly stumbled into my gear and headed outside, casting one last glance at my sleeping wife, still snuggled cozily under the blankets.

Rain cooled it off outside a bit, so it ended up being a nice, comfortable temp for an early run. First two miles went by without incident. Right as I started mile 3, though, I began to feel the pitter-patter of little raindrops. Followed, not long after, by the incessant thud-thud-thud of BIG, soaking raindrops.

Bah.

I totally considered packing it in after about a half-mile (my usual is a little over 3.5 miles on a 1 mile out-and-back course, so it would have been easy to do). But as one part of my mind was enumerating all the reasons that it would be okay if I cut it off early, another part of my brain had a revelation:

I don't just want to be healthy when the weather is nice outside.

Wow... almost simple enough to overlook, but it made perfect sense. So I kept at it. As I hit mile 3, I was absolutely drenched from head to toe. The water felt like it added an extra 10-20 lbs, and it was a struggle to keep going. For my last 1/2 mile I felt like I had nothing left, and I just kept telling myself to "F*#$ the time, just finish."

Imagine my surprise when I looked at my watch as I finished, and discovered that I had beat my best time for this course by over a minute (normally around a 10:30 pace for 3.6 miles, today was 10:09)! Booyah!

And boy, did that nice warm shower afterward feel good.

Step by step Mile by mile Day by day
      I have a hard time heading out into a rain, but it's heaven if it starts raining during the run, maybe rain when not warmed up feels cold.  I got soaked three times this past week, and loved every one of the runs.
        being a resident of the PNW, N.Calif, & then PNW again   I am used to the rain & actually enjoy it most of the time.  Just don't like a stiff cold wind or ice.  We had 11 straight days of rain, then 70 & sunshine yesterday all day until early eve & then a huge booming thundercloud showed up almost from nowhere & then has been raining non-stop since.  forecast calls for mid 70's & sunshine sat/sun.

Dave

I have a hard time heading out into a rain, but it's heaven if it starts raining during the run, maybe rain when not warmed up feels cold.  I got soaked three times this past week, and loved every one of the runs.

+1.  What Patrick said. 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

+1.  What Patrick said. 

+1 to that.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

The water felt like it added an extra 10-20 lbs, and it was a struggle to keep going. For my last 1/2 mile I felt like I had nothing left, and I just kept telling myself to "F*#$ the time, just finish."

Were you wearing clothes that held water?  With proper clothes there is no reason to be carrying much weight in the rain.  Cold rain kinda sucks, but in warm rain for me it's just shorts, synthetic socks and shoes.  No biggie, I just try to avoid being out in lightning, hail, and tornadoes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

We've already broken the all time record for rain here for may/june combined (broke it by the 6th of June I believe).  We are fast closing in on the JUNE record and it is only 6/9 

No whining.  Go run.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I keep this John Ruskin quote in mind when I'm having a difficult time getting out the door due to weather:

"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather."

Sometimes it actually works! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just a dude.

Rain?

I've heard of that... That's where water actually falls out of the sky, right?  Like a giant sprinkler, but everywhere at the same time...

I'm a desert dweller... I'd love to run in the rain... Just a couple days ago I went out of my way to run through a sprinkler...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Were you wearing clothes that held water?  With proper clothes there is no reason to be carrying much weight in the rain.  Cold rain kinda sucks, but in warm rain for me it's just shorts, synthetic socks and shoes.  No biggie, I just try to avoid being out in lightning, hail, and tornadoes.

Probably more psychological than anything else. Though I was wearing a sleeveless cotton t-shirt that got pretty well bogged down. (Otherwise all synthetic stuff.) I guess in retrospect, I felt so tired because I was going faster than I thought I was.

It was somewhat refreshing, if overbearing. Can't say I'd look forward to it again, but maybe next time I won't mind as much. Anyway, it's much better than the 4 feet of snow we got here in Pittsburgh in February.

Step by step Mile by mile Day by day
                      keeponrunning

I love running in the rain once I get out.  It's more the psychological aspect before the run.  Speaking of which, guess I better get a move on it before the rain starts again.  It was pouring earlier.  Don't want to test my new waterproof jacket yet.

I agree with Rum Runner that it's better than 4 feet of snow.  I'm from Canada, so I can sympathize.  Although, I would still rather run in -20C weather than 30C weather.  Easier to dress heavier than dress lighter.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I don't mind the rain...but I hate wind and rain together.  I live in an area that always has wind but storm wise winds clocking 100k + are a weekly occurence (biweekly at the most and usually accompanied by rain)!
                          2010 Goals! 1. Sub 27 min in a 5k. (PR - 26:36) 2. Sub 58 min in a 10k. (PR - 1:01:16) New PR July 3, 2010 58:42 3. Sub 2 hrs in a HM (PR 2:18:28 - ING Ottawa Half ) 4. Run 1,500 km for the year 5. 145 lbs by the end of 2010
                          wannaberunner

I look my best blurry!

Probably more psychological than anything else. Though I was wearing a sleeveless cotton t-shirt that got pretty well bogged down. (Otherwise all synthetic stuff.) I guess in retrospect, I felt so tired because I was going faster than I thought I was.

It was somewhat refreshing, if overbearing. Can't say I'd look forward to it again, but maybe next time I won't mind as much. Anyway, it's much better than the 4 feet of snow we got here in Pittsburgh in February.

Hey!  I'm from the 'Burgh!  I was blessed with a stress fx in the neck of my femur during the snow.  Actually, I have to admit my timing wasn't all that bad.  So, where do you usually run?  I'm looking for some running pals.  I live near North Park(aka the mud pit).

I had a great little run today in the rain.  Very splashy.  I ran 2 hrs yesterday and my coach(?) recommended I wear pants today.  He has a thing for pants even in hot weather.  Go figure.  Anyway, since it was cold and rainy I complied for a change.  Would have been just fine if the drawstring on my pants hadn't failed to hold my pants up when they were soaking wet.  Still not a bad run while holding my pants up. 

Loves the outdoors

I don't mind the rain...but I hate wind and rain together.  I live in an area that always has wind but storm wise winds clocking 100k + are a weekly occurence (biweekly at the most and usually accompanied by rain)!

+1  You don't live in Wellington do you? Sounds just like our weather. Today I could thought during my run, why didn't I just bring my shampoo and kill two birds with one stone.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

+1  You don't live in Wellington do you? Sounds just like our weather. Today I could thought during my run, why didn't I just bring my shampoo and kill two birds with one stone.

Nope....Newfoundland and an area known as Wreckhouse is just north of where I live! 

2010 Goals! 1. Sub 27 min in a 5k. (PR - 26:36) 2. Sub 58 min in a 10k. (PR - 1:01:16) New PR July 3, 2010 58:42 3. Sub 2 hrs in a HM (PR 2:18:28 - ING Ottawa Half ) 4. Run 1,500 km for the year 5. 145 lbs by the end of 2010