Chicago Race Support (Read 782 times)

HermosaBoy

I know this is kind of off the wall (and last minute), but...

Is there anyone that is going to be in Chicago for the marathon that will be running around the course cheering?

My girlfriend is running her first marathon and I plan to be all over the course cheering for her.  Thought there will probably be others doing this and that I might be able to find some company for some of the miles where we have to veer away from the course (preferably someone who knows their way around?).

If you fit this bill or know someone who will -- please post here...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Jeff F

Free Beer

I am volunteering so I won't be running around the course.  A good spot to start is on Hubbard Street.  You can catch her three times within about 6 blocks.  Miles 2, 3 and 12.  From there you will need to jump on the L to head to other locations.  There is a Red train stop at State and Grand which is very close to where you will be. It depends upon how many more times you want to see her. 

I am not that familiar with the trains that could take you out towards the United Center to catch her out there.  But you can take the Red Line to the Jackson stop and get on the Blue Line that will take you down to 35th to catch her at mile 23.  Then take the Blue Line back up to Roosevelt to catch the finsh.   Dress warm it is going to be chilly for spectators.

HermosaBoy

Thanks for the info! Guess I should have clarified - I plan to run all over for strategic cheering. I may get in 20 to 26 miles...

Rob

an amazing likeness

I was hunting around the web, checking on something else and stumbled upon this and thought it may help you:

Full posting is here.

My suggested spectator itinerary for my husband and my parents – even if they only hit half of these, that’s a lot of spectating:

1. Head to Mile 2 – Jackson & State. Crowds will be crazy but since you’ll be in the Loop, worth a shot to try.
          2. Take the Red Line north to Belmont, walk east to Broadway (near mile 8)
          3. Take the Brown Line south to Quincy/Wells, walk west to Franklin/Adams (near mile 12.5)
          4. Walk south and west to the Clinton Blue Line, take the Blue Line west to Racine (near mile 16)
          5. Take the Blue Line back east to Jackson, transfer to Red Line
          6. Take the Red Line south to Chinatown, walk west to Wentworth (near mile 21.5)
          7. Walk east to Michigan Ave via Cermak (near mile 25)
          8. Take the Red Line north to Roosevelt – walk east to Grant Park / finish – Find me in Charity Village

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I know this is kind of off the wall (and last minute), but...

Is there anyone that is going to be in Chicago for the marathon that will be running around the course cheering?

My girlfriend is running her first marathon and I plan to be all over the course cheering for her.  Thought there will probably be others doing this and that I might be able to find some company for some of the miles where we have to veer away from the course (preferably someone who knows their way around?).

If you fit this bill or know someone who will -- please post here...

why don't you just run it with her? Jump in at mile 1.

HermosaBoy

She wants to run it on her own...

Rob

A few years ago I cheared my wife on while she ran Chicago. I was on a bike. I think I managed to see her at 6,12, 17, and the finish. It is a kind of a loop course and pretty narrow loops. The biggest challenge is getting through the crowds or crossing streets the race is actually running on. Also it took me about 15 minutes to go a half mile to get to the finish because of the crowds. Sorry I can't give you any specifics (don't remember), but shouldn't be too hard if you look at the map. Just make sure you estimate extra time for crossing the streets the race is on and to get to the finish.
                HermosaBoy

Was fairly easy to get around.  Watched the start on top of Wacker Drive.  Then ran over to mile 2 and waited for her to come through.  After that, fairly easy to run parallel to the course with a few short jaunts on the course.

I ended up getting in close to 19 miles and saw her at miles 2, 6, 10, 17, 20, 22 and 24.  Was hoping to see her at the finish, but I ended up on the wrong side of the course and had to back track.  Sad

Rob

mapfe

Was fairly easy to get around.  Watched the start on top of Wacker Drive.  Then ran over to mile 2 and waited for her to come through.  After that, fairly easy to run parallel to the course with a few short jaunts on the course.

I ended up getting in close to 19 miles and saw her at miles 2, 6, 10, 17, 20, 22 and 24.  Was hoping to see her at the finish, but I ended up on the wrong side of the course and had to back track.  Sad

Do you have the map for that? It'd be really fun to see the route you took to hit all those checkpoints.

2014 Goals

Don't die

HermosaBoy

Do you have the map for that? It'd be really fun to see the route you took to hit all those checkpoints.

Check my log.

Rob