heel spur or Plantar Fasciitis, that is the question (Read 510 times)

patarch1

New Haven 08

The context: After getting back into running after an 8 month cycling only mood, I slowly climb up to almost 5 miles every other day.One day ago, after a nice 4 miler,feeling great and motivated by the nice fall season in CT; I did not expect to be unable to walk more than three feet without my left foot hurting like it was split in two. I went to see my GP and as he was pushing on the bottom on my foot on the heel region, he said: you most likely have a Plantar Fasciitis, no running for at least two weeks if you do no want the situation to be chronic. As I read and listen to my friends' advice, the words "heel spur" are also used to describe my problem. What to do next? Go see an othopedic doctor or rest for a week (I cannot imagine two yet) and test my foot on a light run. In any case, opinions and suggestions are welcomed, at least I will be reading them while resting. Thanks Patrick

200 mile bike trip in three days with sleeping gear and change.

Get the Saturday running club back up.

Run below 8 minutes per mile for 6 miles.

Why is it sideways?

First, "heel spurs" and plantar fascitis are the same thing. Second, in my experience, PF does not present itself so quickly and so immediately painfully. The amount of pain you describe does not sound consistent with my experience of PF. I've been able to run through mine fairly consistently. It hurts most when I get out of bed in the morning and it warms up so that I can run painlessly 10 minutes into the run. I've had it for about three months and 500 miles of running. Mine was caused by running in shoes with too-little arch support and poor flexibility. It has been healing quickly since I got some shoes and inserts with increased arch support.