A new energy source (Read 1050 times)

jeffdonahue

So I was just in the lunchroom at my office and I came across a copy of Newsweek for this week and happened to notice an article that piqued my interest. "The Obese Should Have to Pay More For Airline Tickets." It is all about the cost of gas to fly heavier people, but it was really the first paragraph that caught my attention. Here it is It's one of the last untapped energy sources, and one in which the United States leads the world. It's not just renewable, but almost impossible to get rid of. We're talking about fat. At about 3,500 calories per pound, a 300-pound American contains the energy equivalent in fat of roughly 15 gallons of gasoline. Is there a way to tap this energy and pour it into our cars - who knows? Just an interesting little tidbit of information. though with gas prices what they are today, it's probably a good thing that we can't convert it to the 15 gallons of gasoline or fat people might mysteriously start disappearing.

Dog-Love

Sounds like great new "B" movie.
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        Movie ideas: - A modern and updated version of the movie that has "Soylent Green" in it. - A ripoff of the matrix where machines are harnessing people for their fat as a fuel - A post-apocalyptic epic of rogue biker gangs who relentlessly hunt down humans to fuel their dirt bikes of destruction and the sole person who has the guts (pun intended) to stand up to them.
          This explains why food companies have been putting high fructose corn syrup in every thing. They are looking for a new way to make money. Fatten people up and use that as fuel. Brilliant.
          Go Daddy

- A modern and updated version of the movie that has "Soylent Green" in it.
            Soylent Green is people?

A Saucy Wench

Is there a way to tap this energy and pour it into our cars - who knows? .
              Isnt that old technology? I think you are referring to the Flinstone car

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A treadmill in the car might be a more modern adaptation of the Flintstone car. Connected to a generator it would make a true hybrid. Tom
                  Soylent Green is people?
                  Isn't Solylent Green made up of dead people and has solved mankinds food shortages? I haven't seen the movie myself, but isn't that the concept?

A Saucy Wench

Isn't Solylent Green made up of dead people and has solved mankinds food shortages? I haven't seen the movie myself, but isn't that the concept?
                    Yes, but in order to feed the demand people are highly encouraged to commit suicide.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Is there a way to tap this energy and pour it into our cars - who knows? Just an interesting little tidbit of information. though with gas prices what they are today, it's probably a good thing that we can't convert it to the 15 gallons of gasoline or fat people might mysteriously start disappearing.
                      It might start disappearing if they used it to power a bike instead.
                        Interesting article- here's the link: http://www.newsweek.com/id/143790