Excuse me... I just Fartleked? (Read 939 times)

thumbs up!

I'm a newbie runner. Just wondering what a Fartlek is, and why/when I might do it.
    2010 Goals
    1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
    2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
    3. sub 30 min 5k
    4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
      it's basically choosing to sprint certain distances within a regular run-- like, you're running along and then decide you'll pick up your pace between the next two lamp-posts or from the first cutie-pie you pass til the next, etc. it keeps things fun-- it turns a routine run into play. and oh yeah, it builds a kind of speedwork into your running routine which trains your body to run faster, ups your lactate threshold, builds more muscle more quickly, burns more calories, gives you a differently colored bar in your graph, etc. you can make it as formal/regular or as random and varying as you choose. it's fun!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And you can claim you speak Swedish, too! I have an "I fartlek'd" sticker on the back of my car, as well as an "uff da" sticker--gotta represent my Scandinavian heritage, ya know! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Anyone have pizza?

I love to do a fartlek when it's raining outside. No one is usually around. Trouble with those runs is like always, in New York, you have to really watch out for traffic. That's why I call those runs in particular.....SBD Fartleks. Silent But Deadly Fartleks (Duh,,,,as if I even needed to explain that! DOH!!!) Tongue Tongue Tongue

Fartleks are a form of interval training where you never stop running throughout the workout, and will normally (but not always) run your intervals and recovery for a set duration rather than for a set distance. For example, you may run 10×1 minute repeats with 3 minutes of recovery running between each repeat. The name “fartlek” comes from the Swedes and means running play. Fartleks don’t need to be timed; one of my favorite runs is to just go out and randomly choose a target to run fast towards at regular intervals without rhyme or reason. I might sprint to a telephone pole or after a pedestrian up ahead of me or an intersection, with however much recovery between each interval as it takes me to find a new target that peaks my interest. (copied word for word from "Answers for the top questions about interval training")

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

This topic is freaky relavent to me. Last night I ran my first fartlek... 1 mile warm up 2 miles fartlek and 1 mile cool down. IT WAS A BLAST!