Question for the yoga peeps? (Read 219 times)

muppy

Okay, I'm about 6' 2" and weigh about 230 pounds, semi old man. I've been taking yoga class once a week for about three years. I've upped my mileage lately to about 40-45 miles a week and it seems like I'm a lot less flexible  at yoga. By that I mean when I sit  back on my legs I can't sit all the way down, my butt won't touch my ankles anymore, my feet hurt real bad and I get a lot of cramps or muscle spasms in my feet. I do a bit of stretching after I run and I also foam roll.

Anybody else have this happen, or any suggestions?

Walk-Jogger

Yoga Peeps:

Retired &  Loving It

#artbydmcbride

brilliant!

Yoga Peeps:

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

Oh, and in reply to the OP, be careful, now that you are running more, don't overdo the stretches in yoga past comfort.   You are tighter now, and your strength can overwhelm your flexibility.   Just be resigned to being less flexible. 

Runners run

muppy

We'll played Cecil58!

I bet their yoga farts are pretty sweet!

BeeRunB

Yoga's about being where you are with what is. Don't press. Be gentle, keep at it, and it'll return.

Yoga has been great for my running. Running has been horrible for my yoga. The imbalance might not be as extreme if I would practice yoga as much as I run.
                muppy

Yoga has been great for my running. Running has been horrible for my yoga. The imbalance might not be as extreme if I would practice yoga as much as I run.

I think that's it, the teacher always emphasizes the fact about not going past the edge, I guess I'm not as flexible as I used to be.

running metalhead

Running strengthens a few muscles too much for the needs of  yoga and reduces (relatively) your range of motion.

That's not bad: It's a result of training. That's what we actually train for, to adapt our body t oa given pattern of movement.

Knowing this it's up to you top decide. Yoga is nto the best type of exercise if you plan on running fast or if your prmiary activity will be running. Static stretching isn't good eiher as a matter of fact. The more "elasticity" and the greater the range of motion of your lower limbs and feet the less strenght you will have in muscles and tendons and this can result in lower performance (stiffer muscles and tendon transmit more energy to the ground) and eventually in injuries.

I assume that you aren't goign to quit either and that your intentions aren't beating Mo Farrah in the 10K, but it is important to know how each activity changes your body in order to know your limits and posibilities so that you can enjoy both sports fully and avoid injuries and frustrations.

In any case, I would stop with static stretching if you are doing that,: There is no scientific evidence that is works, you are increasing the posibility of injury without a real need and it is on one side not needed for running (because we don't need the extra flexibility) nor is it for yoga because you already do proper asanas using proper method and form

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

The idea of attending a yoga class was always very intimidating to me.  But last fall I was dealing with a really painful hip issue. i was pretty convinced that I was in line for a hip replacement.  We'll maybe not a replacement, but I thought I might have to retire from running.  As a last resort before visiting a doctor and having my family and non running friends say "I told you so...." I went to a yoga class at my gym.  It was my miracle cure.   It made me realize that my tightness and lack of flexibility in my hip flexor was causing the hip pain.  I am certainly not on my way to yoga greatness and will never be very flexible, but I have made it a part of my weekly workouts.

the 70+ year old yoga teacher has said that athletes and people who have physical jobs benefit the most from yoga because the more active you are, the tighter your muscles become. That was really the case for me.  Now if I could just get my carpenter husband to join me...

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

In any case, I would stop with static stretching if you are doing that,: There is no scientific evidence that is works, you are increasing the posibility of injury without a real need and it is on one side not needed for running (because we don't need the extra flexibility) nor is it for yoga because you already do proper asanas using proper method and form

Is that true? <-- not a sarcastic question.

I ask because I generally static stretch in the mornings whilst training (not immediately before or after a run).

I also joined the local JCC recently and had considered attending a yoga class so this thread is timely, thanks Muppy.

Plus, who doesn't enjoy a quality yoga peep photo?

Hoban-Jay

Is that true? <-- not a sarcastic question.

I ask because I generally static stretch in the mornings whilst training (not immediately before or after a run).

Nope.