Coonhound folks (Read 606 times)

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Molly is believed to be a Treeing Walker Coonhound.  She showed up in our yard about 10 days ago.  She is a young and friendly dog.  She was pretty skinny and obviously wandering, so we fed her and she stayed at our house for the weekend. 

Unfortunately, we are totally full on animals, having the two big dogs and two cats.  We took her to the local animal shelter and discovered that she had no identification chip--no surprise and no calls about her.  The clock is ticking on her, although the shelter is full, she apparently has "some time" and the shelter  manager  promises me that nothing bad will be done to Molly without giving me a heads up first.

I am hopeful we can place this nice girl in a good home..... just not our home.

But if worse comes to worse and we bring this dog home, what can I expect from a coonhound? Can I make her a running companion?  Will she ever get along with our indoor cats?

My only experience is with our collies.  I think this breed is completely different.  Anyone out there have a hound story to share?

I've only heard of a Mississippi Leg Hound.

Good luck with the dog though!

HappyFeat

One of my brothers adopted an older Coonhound from a shelter. Emmy was a lovable family pet who got along with his other dogs and the cats as well.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Feeling the growl again

PM obsessor...I think he may have some experience with hounds.

My very limited experience is that they are loving and obedient dogs....just don't let them loose!!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Oh roo roooo!

This may or may not apply, but we have a bassett hound named Ned.  The comment above about not letting a hound loose is oh so true--he will follow his nose and be totally oblivious to all else.  Seriously and truly, he will ignore the yummiest treat or the most desperate calls!  Just gotta follow that scent....

As regards other animals, he is good friends with our other dog, a terrier mix, and generally gets along with other dogs after they take some time to sort things out.  Definitely not the "Hi, can I be your pal?" personality of a lab, though.

He is of somewhat independent mind, is obedient as long as he has a chance to consider your request and decide that he agrees.  He is also VERY affectionate towards us (me particularly) and I love his long furry self with all my heart.

Hope that's of some sort of use, and best wishes for Ms. Molly, whether it be a home somewhere else or a home with you! 

Can I make her a running companion?  Will she ever get along with our indoor cats?

I am regrettably having to look for a dog. I am out-numbered 4-1 in my house. Sorry, I can't take on a coonhound - need something a bit more hypo-allergenic. But, in my research, I have read that any kind of hound is a poor running companion. They'll pick up a scent and take off on you. Or worse, they'll dart right in front of you and take you down with the leash. 

I am regrettably having to look for a dog. I am out-numbered 4-1 in my house. Sorry, I can't take on a coonhound - need something a bit more hypo-allergenic. But, in my research, I have read that any kind of hound is a poor running companion. They'll pick up a scent and take off on you. Or worse, they'll dart right in front of you and take you down with the leash. 

I'm not sure about this--I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback, classified as either a sight or scent hound, and she's a great running companion. 

Granted, it took something like ~300-400 miles of "practice" to get her that way...and a no-pull harness, lots of encouragement, and some tasty/good-smelling dog treats in my running belt, but she's great.

That said, I'd never trust her without a leash.  She sees/smells the wrong thing and she can FLY away.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                Emil Zatopek

Slo

I'm a previous owner of two Treeing Walkers and have been around all varities of coon hounds.

They are excellent outdoor pets. They are tough to socialize...behavior around humans. Not impossible, just takes good patience.

They love to hunt. They'll hunt for days if you let them. Family pets (including cats) they are generally pretty good with. I would warn your neighbors though not to let thier cats stray.

A good enviroment for these dogs, especially young ones is an acreage. Mine would roam free during the day but then would be kennelled up at night.

As they age they mellow but that desire to track does not go away. If you live in an area with coons, deer, coyotes, skunks...it's best to keep them kennelled up. If they take off they will find thier way back home but there is usually tons of mischief in between.

All in all they are very loyal and obedient pets with a very strong instinct to hunt. Once on a trail, all bets are usually off. otherwise, they'd never leave your side.

I can't answer the running companion part. They have tons of stanima but where I run they'd likely latch onto a coon scent trail. When hunting it's tough to keep with them.