Steve Magness Book (Read 157 times)

Tiefsa

Anyone pick it up?

I'm interested because I like reading his blog, Science of Running.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Haven't picked up his book.  I do, however, like his blog.  I appreciate his science based approach to topics.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Well now that you reminded me, I just clicked over to Amazon and bought the Kindle edition. Because can you ever have too many running books? Is that even a question?

Anyway, I'll report back once I've read it Smile I'm a big fan of his blog and it's nice to see the book is the #1 bestseller in its category.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

If he can't explain the women of Kenya, he's a pathetic idiot.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

an amazing likeness

... he's a pathetic idiot.

Pot, meet Kettle.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

So why would anyone care about the worthless drivel of someone who can't answer basic questions of running, let alone even know how the best runners in the world learned their skill?????

Just because you lack the intellectual capacity to understand the science of biomechanics, doesn't mean his ineptness doesn't deserve to be mentioned..

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Lane

If he can't explain the women of Kenya, he's a pathetic idiot.

I've been married for almost 2 years and I still can't explain women.

NHLA

SJ   one theory is the fastest Kenyans stole the most cattle and traded them for the most wives so they became faster by stealing cattle.

This was in RW.

I've been married for almost 2 years and I still can't explain women.

I think your statement will be the same even if there's a 0 after the 2 :-)

As for SJ.... he's a real treasure.

Just a dude.

I've purchased the book. It should be here soon... Kind of a busy week but hopefully I can do some reading on it soon.

I'll let you know what I think, if that's worth anything... ;-)

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Just a dude.

I just finished Steve Magness's book the Science of Running.

First of all, someone needs to talk to the editor/publisher. There are several silly typos and places where the formatting doesn't line up. It's nothing that hurts the content really, just kinda surprising to find.

The actual content of the book is quite detailed. It is basically split into two halves. The goal of the first half is the science behind everything. If you like nitty gritty details like how calcium is used in muscle contraction, or an explanation of the transfer of oxygen from the lungs to the bloodstream, then you will like this book.

The second half is where he applies all these studies and science to the actual training. He is pretty clear in most places about why certain things are done because of the science. He is also pretty clear about why most coaching philosophies don't match what science seems to say. He also has several things that experience says works, but there is no real science behind it yet.

He references tons of studies. There are 8-10 pages of footnotes in the back of the book for all the studies he cites. He seems quite thorough.

So, if you are looking for a book that is going to give you a nice training plan to get a PR in the 5k, or to finish your first marathon, this is NOT the book for you. Yes, there are a few sample training plans, but they aren't exactly cookie cutter, especially for an inexperienced runner.

If you are interested in the details, and want information on exactly why certain things work the way they do. Or if you are fairly serious about coaching people, this might be a good book to pick up and read through. Maybe even study.

BTW, I think he's looked at many different training philosophies, but what he presents seems most like Canova.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Thanks for the review!