For those that know me... (Read 747 times)

Now that was a bath...

I ran today. Cry I know I shouldn't have, but I did. It felt like chocolate Wink Today I 'celebrate' the one year anniversary of the Waiheke Race. A year that has been spent with pain and frustration. I haven't had a single run since that day, Jan 20th 2007, that has been pain free. And what a year it has been. For quite a while I continued running, my stress fracture never properly diagnosed and me too scared of the truth to push along a path towards it. April saw me sat at a table being told by my 16 year old daughter that I was to become a Grandma. I ran that day. I ran so hard that I collapsed in a heap at the side of the street and I punched the air in agony, both emotional and real. Can you imagine what that felt like? I was petrified for my daughter. Terrified that she was having a baby so young but even more petrified that she would decide not to have the baby. I cried so much in the coming weeks. My eyes became so swollen that those who do not know us well questioned if my loving husband was beating me. I cried for months but still I ran, painful though it was. Running beat some demons away for me that year. So today I tend the garden and I tie things down ready for the tropical storm that is blowing into Auckland. As the first heavy drops fall down upon my muddied skin I decide to go for a walk before the storm hits. I lace up my running shoes, so many memories flooding back. It is hard not to think of the Waiheke race as I stretch whilst facing into the humid angry wind. I knew before I even left the property that I would leave running and that today, just for today, I deserve to run. Short, flat, slow - but f&$K I was running and it felt so good I could barely breathe for laughter on the outward stretch. Mid point, fatigued by lack of fitness, beaten down by months on the bench I turned and ran with tears in my eyes. I couldn't believe that I was crying. Stupid huh? I couldn't believe that despite the pain, despite the fact that every single step hurt my virgin lungs and strained my softened muscles, I was so happy I could burst. Every single step of todays run, I ran for the pain of not running. If you have never been benched for five months you probably won't understand. So far - my leg feels perfect. It feels like chocolate Big grin Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
      First reaction is no, stop, DON'T. Same feeling I get when my son is running at a bigger defender or my daughter is doing some crazy gymnastics move. Sometimes I wish I could bubble wrap them, to protect them from all the things that can go wrong. Since you can't bubble wrap your life, I'm VERY glad to hear it went well. I sincerely hope your good fortune continues Claire, long may you run.

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Now that was a bath...

Ed, you can bubble wrap me. Big grin
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
        mikeymike

Well. You bet your ass it felt like chocolate. I don't know if everyone does but I have a handful of runs that I hold onto and only bring out when I need them, some go back to high school or just after high school when running was about more than The Run, it was my coping mechanism--my pain killer for some very real and deep, aching pain. I remember one of those on hot summer evening when my buddy Sean and I finished a run and couldn't even speak--all we could do was shake our heads and laugh at each other. Becuase for an hour or so there had been nothing outside that run. Maybe this will be one of those runs for you. The ones that bring you back. Stupid? I dunno. I've never been able to reason with running anyway. Mmm. Chocolate.

Runners run

JakeKnight

I wish you were were my mom. Your daughter is blessed. Of course, then I'd have some rather conflicted Oedipal emotions requiring a lot alcohol and/or therapy. Welcome back, toots. Now how about you wait until at least next Wednesday or so before you run your first ultra-marathon? You need to do the opposite of HTFU. You need running (and it needs you). So go easy on your bad self. Reading your post made my morning.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Big Chicken!

Wow Claire. That was beautifully written. Go you! You deserve some chocolate.
              Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
                Bad Claire!! What happened to taking it slow and walking for the next 4 weeks, huh? Wink That said, I know how you feel. You conveyed the emotions of coming off the bench perfectly. (Seriously, I can't wait for the day I am buying something published by you, you have such a gift). I'm glad to hear that you got to work through the emotions of the past year and run.... and show Waiheke that even though it got you for awhile, you are coming back. Even better news that your leg was pain free. So the evil shock therapy man actually did some good?? Now take it easy and stick with the plan so we don't have to see you on a bench ever again! Shaunna
                  You deserved a great run! Now make sure you get better so you can have some more chocolate. Big grin
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You deserved a great run! Now make sure you get better so you can have some more chocolate. Big grin
                    Ditto...real and figurative! Be careful, girly. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Beatin' on the Rock

I couldn't believe that despite the pain, despite the fact that every single step hurt my virgin lungs and strained my softened muscles, I was so happy I could burst. Every single step of todays run, I ran for the pain of not running... ... It feels like chocolate Big grin Claire xxx
                      That oughta go in a book somewhere.
                      Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                      JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

That oughta go in a book somewhere.
                        Yep, you really have a gift! I am glad that your run went well. Keep it up, but be careful! Smile love, Jilly
                        "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

Another Passion

My pulse and breath quickened reading that, Claire! Congratulations! Sweet, sweet, chocolate. Wink

Rick
                          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Reading the above makes me feel guilty for every run I've taken for granted since 1/20/07. Glad you're back. Look forward to reading your posts. These forums are better with you in them.