Draped in silver (Read 765 times)

Stacks

Bought a tech shirt the other day with silver threads in it.  Manufacturer proclaims an end to stench, on account of said  threads' "anti-microbial properties" that combat stink-producing bacteria living in my clothes.   

Lately I have not been enjoying my own company when wearing my running attire, and I am finding it hard to stand upwind of myself  -- hence the impulse buy.

Am I a sucker?  Or will the silver make me smell sweeter?

DespiteMyself

There's lots of information on the web about silver ion antimicrobial properties. It's making its way into many medical devices and supplies (i.e. silver-impregnated catheters to decrease the risk of infection). Google "antimicrobial silver" or some similar combination, and you'll get tons of information.

Here's a link related to textiles http://www.agiene.com/

And the unofficial resource Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimicrobial_Properties_of_Silver

So you're probably not as gullible as you may feel ... but ultimately the  "smell test" will let you know.

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot run," then by all means RUN, and the voice will be silenced.

Jiggle Monster

It depends on the particular antimicrobial chemical(s), how it's been applied to or incorporated in the fibers, and what your laundering conditions are.  The silvers tend to work pretty well right out of the package; hot water, bleach, and/or harsh detergents are more likely to strip off fiber surface chemistries (e.g. antimicrobial, water- or stain-repellent).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I once got such a shirt, and when I first used it, I noticed that indeed, no transpiration smell under my armpits.  After having washed it once, the effect seemed to have gone.

There is a caveat here: since there is always the risked that bacteria develop a resistance agains the silver, and thus increasing the risk for hospital infection... (Bacteria that are harmless on the skin of healthy people won't get killed anymore, and when 'introduced' via a silver-lined catheter into an already vulnerable patient can cause a not so enjoyable infection...)

So for that reason, I won't buy this kind of clothing anymore.

Running in Belgium
          Ann

Marylander

I just rinse my running clothes in the shower right after running.

DespiteMyself

There is a caveat here: since there is always the risked that bacteria develop a resistance agains the silver, and thus increasing the risk for hospital infection... (Bacteria that are harmless on the skin of healthy people won't get killed anymore, and when 'introduced' via a silver-lined catheter into an already vulnerable patient can cause a not so enjoyable infection...)

And the same caution should be noted for overuse, indiscriminate and incomplete use of antibiotics.

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot run," then by all means RUN, and the voice will be silenced.

Jiggle Monster

And the same caution should be noted for overuse, indiscriminate and incomplete use of antibiotics.

And the day-to-day use of antimicrobial handwashes, antiseptic lotions and ditto soaps...  Just plain soaps, common detergents... are more than sufficient for daily use...

Running in Belgium
                Ann

Why is it sideways?

I once got such a shirt, and when I first used it, I noticed that indeed, no transpiration smell under my armpits.  After having washed it once, the effect seemed to have gone.

Is this THE Anne V?

DespiteMyself

And the day-to-day use of antimicrobial handwashes, antiseptic lotions and ditto soaps...  Just plain soaps, common detergents... are more than sufficient for daily use...

They do have their appropriate places ... but I must agree it's been a marketing free-for-all ... back to basics with soap and water for frequent hand-washing for 15 seconds (sing happy birthday to someone twice Smile ... it will either make their day, or make them look at you funny)

Jiggle Monster

Is this THE Anne V?

Don't think so...No idea (I'm Belgian) who Anne V could be.

Its Ann, and on the www I'm better known as AnneTanne Smile

Running in Belgium
                      Ann