Philadelphia Distance Run (1/2M), and 1st HM - Any Advice? (Read 698 times)

The Philadelphia 1/2 Marathon (9/16) will be my first race of this distance. I've been training, and I'm confident in finishing at about a 9:30/mile pace. But, as we all know, race day can be a lot different from a training run, so I'm looking for (1) any reports on the course from those who have run the race before - it looks friendly and fast and (2) any tips from those of you who have experience with the 1/2M. Thanks in advance!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Anyone... anyone...? Bueller? Wink

I haven't run it, but one of my best girlfiend is doing it this year! HMs are, IMO, a great distance. Tips 1: Stay at your 9:30 pace, even if you feel great/ faster. If you are still feeling like you can pick it up around mile 8ish, then do so ... but be careful not to go out TOO fast. It's easy to get caught up in the crowd, and with the adreneline pumping, you may find yourself going faster than you intended. 2: Know what they are serving on the course. If it's not what you like/ are used to, take your own. ... I learned this at the VA Beach Rock and Roll 1/2HM ... where they served AMINO VITAL ... painful. 3: HAVE FUN!!!
        2009: BQ?
          Jeff, I have only run two 1/2 marathons. The first one was in March and I think I was so nervous that I didn't even think about what to do for preparing for it. I went into with very little long distance running experience. I just kept up with my friend who had run several HM's, and then actually felt so good that I was able to move ahead of her and finish under my goal. Of course, I was in major pain at the end of the race and for several days afterwards, but I was happy with my time so it was worth it. I didn't carry a watch, or water, or snacks. I think that if I were to run another road HM, I would be more prepared with a small water bottle, and some gummy bears or something. My second HM was a trail race, I don't view that the same. It was fun, but not a real "race" for time, just a race to see if I could do it.

Michelle

Feels like a while back, but I ran my first HM in April of this year. Around the 11th mile there were some rapid ascensions and descensions that did a number on my left knee. I was not used to this as my training before the race had been on relatively flat surfaces; concrete, asphalt, grass, and primarily on a rubberized track. My advice is to run the HM distance several weeks in advance. For me, this gave me comfort that I could at least finish the race at an easy pace. I also recommend relaxing for the rest of the day... I decided to help move some stuff to a local outreach center... bad idea after a long race. Oh yeah, give us a follow up report! Best to you. modal (who's trying to get back into daily running)

Vim

Scout7

I ran it last year. Firstly, get in line for the bathrooms early. I gave myself about 30 minutes before the gun, and didn't get out until about 3 minutes AFTER it went off. The start is VERY crowded. Be patient through the first 2 miles or so, and it will thin out and you'll be able to settle into your race. The finish can be deceptive. It's on a slight uphill, and it's hard to tell how close you are. So just be aware that it can sneak up on you, or seem closer than it is, depending on how you feel. The first part of the course through the city is weird. If it's sunny out, it's going to be right in your face. I normally wear sunglasses, but that proved difficult because of the light/dark contrasts, it made seeing the road tricky at points. I recommend a hat or visor. The nice part, to me at least, was running along the river. It's scenic, and there are people and bands out along that part. Although there can be some quiet stretches, for the most part it's not too bad.
                Hey, thanks everyone for the advice and Scout for thr race info. I really appreciate the info and I will take it all to heart (esp. the bathrrom advice - I found that out the hard way at the Broad Street Run!) I'll let you know how it went on the 17th.

Good luck to you! Cool
                  ---- Cynthia

The voice of mile 18

yeah what scout said. great race but it's crowded the second half opens up a bit but there is little in the way of crowds or bands.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy