Resting After a Half Marathon (Read 935 times)

I did my first half marathon yesterday (yay me!!) and I loved it. Had lots of fun, a better time than I thought I would get, didn't walk at all, etc. Now I have quite a bit of soreness, as expected, particularly in my left thigh (all over -- front, back, and outer). My hips have taken a beating as well. Here's my question, if you more experienced runners will help me out: How much time should I take off from running to recover from the race? I initially planned to run with my students tomorrow, but I'm pretty insanely sore and running with my students is usually a bit tough for me because they're speedy. I read in a Hal Higdon book that one should take off a week after a half marathon. A WEEK? Jeez. I kind of want to do that and kind of don't. What would you do?

Slow-smooth-fast

Firstly congratulations. Now, when you said you enjoyed it, is that to say that you didnt actually race it, and just actually get round it? Did you push yourself to the max? Either way listen to your body, but as for me, no matter what race and intensity, I always go out the next day to stretch out the legs for about 5mile. Then I will have the day after off, as I sometimes get DOMS. Then I am back to it. Go with how you feel. Take for example a week last sat i did a fell race, my first ever fell race, 9 mile, 2600 ft climb, I really killed myself, went all out, but loved it. I went out the next day for 5mile easy, then rested mon, then a hard interval track session tues, then easy wed, off thurs, easy fri, long sat.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

t_runner

Congratulations, what a great accomplishment!! I went a little more conservative after my first half.. don't know your scenario, but I had only run 10 miles at a time up to the point I ran my first half. I ran it just to finish, but even though I wasn't racing it, just the fact that it was my longest distance ever took a lot out of me. I took 3-4 days off entirely, until I wasn't sore at all. That being said, I attempted an interval workout on my first day back, and I recall getting sick after that, so I don't know, maybe my body was still a bit too run down to even try a speed workout. Listen to your body is always good advice. If I was you, I would take rest or REALLY easy days until your new aches and pains go away. And your students will love to hear about your race I bet!
          Congratulations on your first HM! Isn't it a great feeling?! I'm not sure of what is right or wrong for rest days. When I ran my first HM I was in sooooo much pain afterwards, but the next day I did an easy jog, just 3 miles. The day after that I was back on the soccer field and to be honest, that is what helped me the most. Running full speed really did ease up on all of my muscle soreness. Of course I found out that I shouldn't have pushed my luck since that night I ended up rolling my ankle during the game (my legs were just too tired I guess). STILL. I suggest not waiting too long, at least get out there and do a super easy jog.

Michelle

Congratulations. I ran a HM yesterday. I will take today off, but will run easy tomorrow and for the rest of the week.

Go Pre!

Always listen to your body, but keep in mind, if you can handle it tomorrow, do an easy run. Never under estimate the therapeutic qualities of an easy 4-5 miles. As long as your soreness is just fatigue and not joint pain, you will benefit from the easy (really easy!) run. It also helps flush and lactic acid from your muscles, especially if you ran a hard race. Congrats too!

Go Pre!

By the way Dave (tuf) Nice time on your tune up Half Marathon Smile - looking good for Columbus!
                  Daddyo: Yes, was pleasantly surprised. A bit unexpected. Have a 21 miler (33.6k) and 25k trail race still planned, then plan to taper. LisaMDJ - sorry, for the hijack Smile
                    Hey, I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice! I ended up doing an easy 2.2 mile trail run with the cross country kids tonight and it was just fine. I was quite glad I got out there. My legs were a little weak, but I felt fine otherwise. Tomorrow will be a day off, and then I'll be back on schedule, with (I hope) a long run this weekend.