Advice on Running a large MS XC Invitational (Read 286 times)

I'm the lucky person to be in charge of a large MS XC invitational my son's school hosts every year (a changing of the guards occured). These are all relatively short races with over 100 runners in each race so lots of kids finish within a short period of time.

In observing this event the last couple years, the finish area has been a concern of mine.  The finish line was only wide enough for one runner to cross at a time... with metal posts preventing two (yikes). Plus, there wasn't a "designation area", and they only used a single long chute. I plan to fix the finish line width and introduce a 10 to 20 yard designation area. But, I was wondering about the single chute. 

it is necessary to use  two chutes?  Or would the other changes be sufficient? I'm leaning towards a single chute but wondered if others have had this experience.  I know two chutes adds more complexity and decision making for the chute volunteers

Any words of wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Tom

Feeling the growl again

Having helped run that type of setup before I would apply KISS and go with the single chute, and put a couple knowledgeable people at the line to sort out close-calls as they go into the chute.  Leave the wider area behind the line for this process; I could see placing 2 metal poles chute-width apart to force them into single file causing more problems than it solves.  I would rather leave the decision-making to the adult judges than two kids elbowing it out as they kick it in.

It would not be a bad idea to have a video camera there too....just in case there is any contention.  The last time I did this we did not have major issues, but there were a couple calls where the camera would have been useful.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Thanks Spaniel! It's good to hear your experiences and receive your input.

Tom