back ache (Read 667 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

ON going back pain. What works for you. My thinking is more stretching and biofreeze/heat. Of course a do not stretch until an injury occurs. Smile . I am just starting to get my miles close to 100 a month. Cross training on the road bike.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ice. Stretching. Keep running. Repeat. Ibuprofen if necessary. Heat feels good, but can increase the chance of reinjury by softening the muscles. What is biofreeze?
      finney

Resident pinniped

Trent, Biofreeze is kind of like Ben-gay. It's a gel that has a lot of menthol in it. www.biofreeze.com runnerclay, if the back pain started with the increase in milage, you might be trying to do too much too fast. Does it get better if you cut down on milage for a while, or was it present before the increase? Sometimes biking makes my back hurt, maybe that's the cause with you. You might want to have a trainer look at your running form to point out any errors, or try PT to correct muscle imbalances, or go to a chiropractor or DO to correct any spinal misalignments. My personal exeperience with things of this nature is that it's usually not just muscle strain, it's muscle strain caused by something else.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I agree with finney that you should have somebody take a look to make sure that this is nothing worse. But active recovery is an important and often neglected part of musculoskeletal back pain recovery. I would not use too much of the biofreeze, it can build up in your bloodstream and cause problems. Anybody over 50 or so with new onset back pain needs to have it evaluated to make sure it is not from a dangerous underlying problem.
          runnerclay

Consistently Slow

IT IS AN ON GOING PROBLEM. I AM GOING TO SEE SOMEONE, FINALLY. THANKS.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

If you find something which works for you, please follow up. I've have been having back/neck issues for awhile. I feel I must readjust my neck/back often through cracking and posture readjustment numerous times a day which gives little relief. The discomfort I have experienced is not what I would describe as pain. Temporary relief for me so far has come through -Topical pain relievers (Biofreeze and Ben Gay) -Direct icing overnight -Chiropractic adjustments So far, I have been to a chriopractor and general doctor. The doctor and PA gave me Skelaxin, but I have been reluctant to take it. I'm still looking at possibly going to an orthopedist.

Vim

areesemd

I think people give Skelaxin (and Flexeril) just to give someone something. If you don't have muscle spasm, it's not likely to be of much benefit. I typically only give it for an acute injury. Andy

Ostrich runner

I would not use too much of the biofreeze, it can build up in your bloodstream and cause problems.
                  What builds up, and what kinds of problems does it cause? Don't mean to threadjack, but this concerned me.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum