Commute by Running (Read 2917 times)

xor

ok, ok, it kind of depends on what you googled.

okole = ass.

However, 'okole squeezer' is not one who squeezes asses.  It is pidgin for something that give da chicken skin... that is, something scary as hell.

I'm pretty sure that riding down the face of the wave in my avatar is an okole squeezer.

Julia1971

Weird. I couldn't see your reply until I went to quote it... I remembered a friend once scolded me for clipping my BB to my pants because she said it would do something bad - I don't remember what - to my ovaries. So, maybe I'll get one of those backpacks. Smile
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Is he commuting by running?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Best Present Ever

Weird. I couldn't see your reply until I went to quote it... I remembered a friend once scolded me for clipping my BB to my pants because she said it would do something bad - I don't remember what - to my ovaries. So, maybe I'll get one of those backpacks. Smile

I sent that reply from my iphone. I could see it, and then it disappeared when I hit post. Not sure what happened.  I don't clip my iphone (nor my BB when I had one) to the waist of my pants for two reasons -- it's uncomfortable, and I'm very sweaty.  Clipping it inside a pocket isn't quite as bad.  At least it's not the in rivers of sweat that sometimes run down me. 

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I no longer have a commute - retired two weeks ago. Running was one of the reasons. Working at an office got in the way of it and I run for dear life! The only thing I'm having to get used to is running in the daylight now and having to deal with that big bright ball in the sky! Clown

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Julia1971

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm going to give it a try.  I went to my local outdoor adventure store today and tried on a few light weight backpacks.  (They didn't have most of the ones you all mentioned.)  In the end, I ended up buying a Camelback Flashflo.  The pockets seem big enough to hold my personal effects, and I can use it for my long runs down the road.  I didn't like my Nathan water belt - it moved around too much.

In any event, thanks again.  And, happy running/commuting!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I no longer have a commute - retired two weeks ago. Running was one of the reasons. Working at an office got in the way of it and I run for dear life! The only thing I'm having to get used to is running in the daylight now and having to deal with that big bright ball in the sky! Clown

<Jealous>

keeponrunning

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

uncontrollable

I don't consider it any kind of 'quality' mileage per se. but we park about 2.5 miles from work & I do 12hr days which means tacking on an hour at 4 a.m. or 8 p.m. unless I just run to & from work instead of taking the shuttle (which actually ends up taking the same amount of time with traffic lights & shuttle stops).  If I have extra energy or am not working the next morning, I sometimes add a couple miles more to my evening run.

My pace is easy in the a.m. and the distance minimal : therefore, I don't even start sweating which allows for a quick freshening up when I get to work & after work I have the option to push the pace or distance because I can shower when I get home.  It also allows me to clear my head before & after work which is wonderful.  Took me a month or two to actually get used to my change in routine but it was worth it.

K

peace

Seanv2

Just wanted to add to the collective knowledge here. I bought the Miwok 22 from Gregory and have been using it for about a week. I like it a lot so far.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Just wanted to add to the collective knowledge here. I bought the Miwok 22 from Gregory and have been using it for about a week. I like it a lot so far.

Gregory who and why didn't he want it any more?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

My pace is easy in the a.m. and the distance minimal : therefore, I don't even start sweating which allows for a quick freshening up when I get to work

I'm not even sure we are the same species. 

I went for a 1.5 mile walk at lunch today.  I returned having worked up the start of a light sweat in 77 degree weather. 

TheRunCommuter

Does anyone run to work on a regular basis?  How much of a pain is it?

I'm about to start another marathon cycle and am thinking of running to work for my medium run during the week.  I've been writing out some of the logistics and I'm afraid I'll either end up 1) forgetting my Garmin or iPod at work and not having it for the next day's run from home, or 2) weighing myself down with a lot of stuff I normally have in my purse. 

Are there any tips or tricks you use to make it easier?  (Like having two of everything for forgetting something isn't an issue).

We recently started a blog about running to/from work that folks in this thread might find useful:  The Run Commuter

We have male and female contributors from different locations around the US; some of us run everyday/both ways, some just run home.   We write reviews of gear that works for us, as well as news, tips, stories, etc.   The core posts for people interested in starting are the How To Get Started posts (can be found in the sidebar), but we have useful info for long-time run commuters as well.

Also, if anyone is interested in contributing some content, contact us through the link at the top of the blog.

Happy Run Commuting!

Julia1971

Kinda late, but I thought I'd follow up on how things went for me since there've been some recent posts.

I ended up run commuting once or twice a week, and I still run commute occasionally.

The water belt was great.  It was a little big on me, so I MacGyvered it with binder clips to keep it tight.  But, I was able to cram both my Blackberries, my IDs, bank card, Metro card (for getting home), house key, and a little cash inside.  The water in the hose froze on me on a few of the really cold days, but that was really the worst of it.

As far as clothes, I started off bringing my work clothes in before the day of a planned commute run.  (Driving them in on the weekend wasn't an option since I didn't have a car at the time.  And, parking in the area I work is scarce anyway).  I was good about remembering a shirt and pants.  Everything else...  not so much.  I forgot my purse once and had to carry my stuff around in a plastic grocery bag.  So, I started leaving my purse (and most of the contents) in my office the day before and only taking home the items listed above.  I forgot a bra once but was able to MacGyver one out of rubber bands, paper clips, and post-it notes.*  About a month in, I just kept a spare everything in the office.

I ended up keeping a complete set of toiletries and make up in a gym bag in my office.  When I got to work, I'd have to go to my office to retrieve the bag and then head down to the shower.  Which brings me to my only real problem with run commuting - I don't feel 100% comfortable being at work in my running attire.  It doesn't feel very professional.  But, I'm dealing with it.

Best lesson learned the hard way was the day the fire alarm went off when I was still in the shower.  Rinsed, dried off quickly, threw on clothes...  Oh, snap!  It's winter.  I have to go outside.  Where's my coat?  (Sigh).  Lesson learned: bring everything you might possibly need with you to the shower room.  Even your coat.

But, there's no doubt run commuting made my training cycle a success.  I planned on following the Pfitz 18/85 plan but had my doubts about whether I could do it - having done the lower mileage plan the year before and remembering how hard that was, I didn't see how I was going to be able to spend more time running.  Knowing I had those 45 minutes I'd otherwise spend commuting at my disposal was a game changer for me.

* This did not actually happen.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

* This did not actually happen.

Dang, we were definitely going to demand pictures!  Big grin