Hello there! (Read 633 times)

Dave Ramos

Hello All,

I've finally decided to start running this year.  I've gained alot of weight these past few years, I'm approaching 40, and part of my program involves running.  I've downloaded Couch to 5k on my Android phone to help.  Do any of you have any wonderful suggestions on how to begin my journey?

Here is a little information about myself:

1.  I'm gay.  Flaming Liberace gay.  I hope that doesn't deter you from helping me out.

2.  I'm around 330 lbs. and I'm roughly 5 foot 8.

3.  I love game shows.

Thanks ahead of time!

Dave

A Saucy Wench

Dont be afraid to repeat weeks on C25K if it is too much.   I have known people who need to ramp up to the first week, and that is ok.  I have also known MANY people who around week 3 or 4 give up because it is too much.  If a week feels too hard, do the previous week again and take another run at it.

Run slowly.  Slowly.  Yeah, I know you are slow by default, but SLOWER THAN THAT.  These are not sprint intervals.  Shuffling along is fine.

Walk.  A lot.  C25K is a fairly short workout and adding more walking time to the cooldown will help you improve faster.  And burn calories without as much strain.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Cntrygal

Welcome Dave!

There's a lot of good advice to be found on this board... and I, by no means, am super knowledgable, but have you had a checkup lately (and let your doctor know of your plans)?  Then, if you haven't invested in a good pair of shoes (a running shop can fit you), I would recommend that and make sure you have a REALLY good walking base before actually starting the running program.  Set small goals that lead you up to your larger goals.

Oh, and keep a journal!  Write down what you've done, and HOW YOU FELT (physically, mentally etc).  It's amazing when you read back thru it 6 months or a year later.  Things that were very difficult in the beginning, don't even qualify as a warm-up for you any more.  Smile

Good Luck and have fun with it!

GinnyinPA

Welcome Dave.

If you have been a complete couch potato for a while, start with walking, not running.  Walk 1/2 hour every day, if possible.  Increase that to 45 minutes or an hour at least 3 days a week.  When you can comfortably walk 3 miles, then start the c25k.  Don't be afraid to repeat days or even weeks as necessary.  Run slow.  Really slow.

Work on your way of eating at the same time.  Most weight loss happens in the kitchen, not on the road.  Stop eating fast food completely.  Eat very little processed food of any kind.  Look carefully at what you're drinking. Sweet beverages of any kind add a lot of empty calories to your diet.  Eat more fruit, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein.  Programs like fitday.com are good for helping you figure out exactly what you are eating and where you need to make changes.

Maggie & Molly

Dont be afraid to repeat weeks on C25K if it is too much.   I have known people who need to ramp up to the first week, and that is ok.  I have also known MANY people who around week 3 or 4 give up because it is too much.  If a week feels too hard, do the previous week again and take another run at it.

Run slowly.  Slowly.  Yeah, I know you are slow by default, but SLOWER THAN THAT.  These are not sprint intervals.  Shuffling along is fine.

Walk.  A lot.  C25K is a fairly short workout and adding more walking time to the cooldown will help you improve faster.  And burn calories without as much strain.

listen to Anne, she is very wise and Welcome!

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
            Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Get good shoes.

Run on grass or dirt if you can.

Be careful with joint pain.

I am 215 and have been running on trails instead of the road and it seems to be

easier on my knees.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You've gotten some great advice already.  Welcome to RA...we'll kick 40's butt together this year! Big grin

And come join the "Jiggly Joggers" group.  We just recently started our Winter weight loss challenge and you are more than welcome to be a part of the group.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SheCan

Welcome Dave.  I'm glad you've decided to make a change for the better.  My advice is to just do it.  If you get off track, just pick up again and start over, even if you quit 1000 times, it just means you have to restart 1001 times.

The days you run, don't think about it, just immediately get dressed and out the door.

Start a training log.

Be a part of a running community-- online and otherwise if you chose.

Join a miles game team:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/milesgame/forum/7771b23ded7a4393ba70a0a2db36fcb7/resume#focus

Buy awesome running clothes.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, you will find most people are very accepting and nice regardless of who you are.  I look forward to seeing you around.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

RunsWithDog

There is a wonderful board for c25k runners here: http://c25k.cze.dk/index.php There are many people there (self included) who used c25k to get started running and there are many current c25k runners who can offer wonderful encouragement. (I am StephanieZ over there, too. You'll find many posts by me, lol, and I'll look for you there if you turn up!)

If you join that board, you can also start a "progress thread" to blog your running progress. I did that and I blogged every run for many months. It was a wonderful way to get encouragement and feedback. There are really a very nice, small, group of kind and encouraging runners over there.

That was my sole running support group until I recently found these forums, too.

My general tips for getting started would be:

+ Run slowly!

+ Walk or do other gentle cross training on your non-running days as much as possible. I think that really helps you get fit enough to continue to progress.

+ If you can complete a day, you are ready for the next one. Yes, they may all be very hard. That is OK! If you can complete it, you can move on.

Welcome aboard, and happy running!

PRs: 10k 57:30, HM 2:11:12, Full 5:02:57

Next Up: HM 1/6/13 & Marathon #3 3/24/13

Training Plan Right Now: Hansons Brothers Beginner Marathon Plan

MonkeyBunny

Welcome Dave!  Best wishes on your journey.

+1 on the physical.  I know it's a pain in the ass and you may or may not hear stuff that you want, but you don't want to be one of those guys that drops dead due to an undiagnosed condition.  Before I started marathons, I went to my physican because there is significant heart disease in both sides of my family.

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Rock n Roll St. Pete Half 2-10-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

The Goal:  Boston Marathon 4-20-15

ShotNixon

This Space For Rent

Flaming Liberace sounds like an umbrella drink.

bhearn

Maybe not a popular thing to say, but personally I would lose weight before starting running. But I do understand that running goals are great motivators. Anyway, good luck!

Flaming Liberace sounds like an umbrella drink.

Don't want to have too many if you are trying to drop some pounds.

Maybe not a popular thing to say, but personally I would lose weight before starting running. But I do understand that running goals are great motivators. Anyway, good luck!

I'd have to agree.

I suggest losing weight 1st man. 5'8 and 330, your poor knees. I'd start of  with walking, speed walking, swimming or using a rowing machine, something like that..

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Butter Tart

I was obese but much smaller than you, but even so I started with walking. Got a pedometer and worked up to 17000 steps/day before starting C25K.