The whole Boston jacket thing (Read 1785 times)

xor

This weekend I will get my "free" 2012 BAA Boston Marathon Volunteer jacket after stuffing about 7000 of your goodie bags for four hours.

I hope you put a little extra something in mine.

jpdeaux

Salonpas. Many, many Salonpas.

HermosaBoy

I hope you put a little extra something in mine.

How about a little something, you know -- for the effort?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Scout7

How about a little something, you know -- for the effort?

Oh, uh, there won't be any money.  But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness.

xhristopher

goodie bags

I recall the Boston goodie bag was just ok but I refused the goodie bag a my last race. I think I'll be doing more of that. I wish organizers didn't feel obligated to give them out. Just give me a number and let me race.

jpdeaux

But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness

and a smokin' jacket.

Scout7

and a smokin' jacket.

I thought it was more of a jacket for running, not smoking.

#artbydmcbride

Depends where you end up.....

Runners run

No Talent Drips

I thought it was more of a jacket for running, not smoking.

These are not mutually exclusive.

Dei Gratia

xor

I recall the Boston goodie bag was just ok but I refused the goodie bag a my last race. I think I'll be doing more of that. I wish organizers didn't feel obligated to give them out. Just give me a number and let me race.

Interesting.  I get why you would do that... on the other hand, the net effect is that the race probably threw your stuff out instead of you throwing your stuff out.  Not sure that your message was received.  Did you follow it up with a note to the RD?

Also, "feeling obligated". Remember why that stuff is given out.  All that crap has to do with sponsors.  Sponsors expect that their ads and samples and whatnot are actually given to prospective customers.  If the expectation changes to "hey, we aren't going to pass these out", that is likely going to cut down on sponsors.  Which may have some unintended cost effects to you.

(but yeah, most stuff I receive goes straight in the recycle bin too)

wbudde

and a smokin' jacket.

Wait - they give out smoking jackets now?  That's so "Mad Men" of them...

Wait - they give out smoking jackets now?  That's so "Mad Men" of them...

They're going full out Mad Men.  Instead of disposable paper cups at aid stations, they're using brandy sniffers.

jpdeaux

They're going full out Mad Men.  Instead of disposable paper cups at aid stations, they're using brandy sniffers.

With a separate lane for barefooters.

xhristopher

Not sure that your message was received.

Also, "feeling obligated". Remember why that stuff is given out. 

I only politely said "no thank you" to the volunteers. Nobody noticed. I wasn't sending a message. It was more of a selfish connivence for myself as I didn't want to deal with it before the race.

I get the sponsor thing. It's part of the game. If sponsors want to make a real impact they can do better than give out brochures or small coupons that just get lost in the mix. We like samples. Put some food or something useful in there and I'm taking it.

This weekend I will get my "free" 2012 BAA Boston Marathon Volunteer jacket after stuffing about 7000 of your goodie bags for four hours.

That's the best way to get a volunteer jacket if you're actually running Boston, you don't have to spend hours on your feet the day (or two days) before running 26.2

If you're planning to earn one on the course, make sure you get on a water table rather than a Gatorade table.  A friend said she had to shower for about an hour to get the congealed green stuff off her hands and forearms.  Ick.

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.