Runner changing to Tri. (Read 1547 times)

Cashmason

Our tri club lets visitors join us for several workouts for free to see if they like our members and like what we do. I am sure you local club would let you do that too. Our tri club also has an online website, that lists upcoming races and club work outs. You could see how often they work out and where, and if that is convient for you. We also have forums to ask questions or post locations for upcoming runs rides or swims. If yours has that you could see how active they are. With 500 members I am sure they must be pretty active. Our club has about 300 members. I often find the same two dozen people at many events and then there are some you only see at runs or only at swims etc. Maybe 1/4 of our members show up to meetings or the events that I go too. But we do have twice a year swim lessons that are video taped, and we do have a couple club only bike races and a club only sprint tri. And weekly rides and runs, and during the warmer months weekly swims either at a lake or in an ocean cove.

Kings Canyon NP 07'

500! Holy crap! My local buddies group is about a dozen or more. The local official group is maybe 50 active and more inactive.
      We live in the SF/Bay area. If you are not active here, you are not liked!jk.

left-right-left-right-repeat

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

I've only been running a year and a half and ran my first 5K at 50 (was a very dedicated and diligent walker until one day I realized I could get there faster if I ran). But, I swam competitively for six years as a kid. My trainer convinced me to do a short Indoor Triathalon. It was 20 minutes in the pool, 20 minutes on a stationary bike and 20 minutes on a treadmill. I was surprised in the pool when I swam nearly a half mile in my 20 minutes. BUT, I was not prepared for dealing with the adrenalin rush I had that I get when I run a 5K. Yikes! I could hardly breath and ended up doing the backstroke so I could breath continuously for a few laps. That was all she wrote. I'm doing another Indoor Triathalon later in January at our local Y and then will be doing a Danskin spint outdoors in the Sping and I'm looking at some others as well. I think the Indoor Triathalons are helping me to get a feel for the transitions between sports and the "brick" training is really helping my running a LOT. I'm giddy and looking forward to a great season! Life begins at 50. As Danskin says "the woman who starts the race is not the same woman who finishes the race"
        March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)
          Hi, I love triathlons, but prefer the Olympic distance over the Sprint. Reason - I feel like I just get into the sprint and then it is over, especially on the run whereas with the Olympic I can settle into it a bit better. After just one season doing Tri's I did my first Ironman and it was amazing! I am not the fastest of the fittest but am a convert. Now if I could just start to enjoy the cycling leg all would be great. Smile

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Hello again, For the past three weeks I have been swimming two days a week, riding the bike two days a week and running 3 three days. Some days I do both swim and bike to save time and have 1-2 rest days per week. I am amazed that on the first swim I went 7 laps and nearly died from arm exhaustion, and this eveing I swam 14 laps and it is a lot easier. After a few laps I felt pretty good, and almost a smooth feeling in the water. Then I got tired! I'm signed up for an international tri in June, which will give me plenty of time to train and squeeze in a sprint prior for training on transitions. There is sooooo much to learn, and it is great changing the pace from marathon training to multisport. I feel upbeat and look forward to the workouts. Thanks for all the help. ps - I have not given up marathons -(Chicago 08).

left-right-left-right-repeat

hdh

I was a swimmer in HS and started running when I became a soccer referee. I started with a sprint and when done, told those in the finish line within range of my voice "I'd rather train for a marathon than do this". I will be back to them but found the bike the hardest thing to train.. primarily becuase I biked to work on a paved road but the race itself was on trails. hdh
              hdh

Runner

a few weeks back I went for a swim and noticed something. The form I worked so hard to get last summer in the swim is still there but the swimming time/effort is drastically different. To be good at a Tri I think you need to put a lot of time in the pool to be comfortable in the swim. I was never a competitive swimmer but last year I started being in the top quarter of swim times because I worked on form and spent a considerable amount of time in the lake(sighing is super important and saves as much time as a good stroke sometimes). My biking was always somewhat strong and if you want to really put some time between you and the rest this is a good place to look because with bikes being expensive if you have the cash and the time to train you can buy speed and time on the bike to a degree. Running being the last event is good to have as a strength. If you can gut out races then you can gut out runs in tris and gain some time there. Most people don't train in all three disciplines equally and therefore develop one over the other and lose time. In my experience you will become addicted to all three and in some weird masochistic way you will even come to enjoy brick workouts. Good luck and have fun.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

impersonally

I'm not an athlete, but I did a sprint tri last year after doing some running training the year before that. Like others said, if you have a running and swimming background, it'll be a piece of cake, especially the sprint length. I loved doing all three sports, but I find the biking portion ... so ... very ... boring. I don't know why, you cover much more distance than running so you'd think it'd be at least as interesting, but I just find it really monotonous. Unfortunately it does take up the most time so it's great if you can train in it Smile One thing, the sprint tri I did was outdoors so the swimming was in a lake, and that was kind of freaky -- SO muddy and dirty that I couldn't see my own arms while I was swimming, let alone try to avoid anyone in front of me. Was I the only one? Anyway, it wasn't actually a big deal, but I wasn't mentally prepared for that at all.

Runner

Biking was more fun for me when I went slower. When I started riding with faster groups it became an issue of not getting dropped and trying to crank hard all the time. Not much time to take in all that scenery when that happens. But you do get to be a stronger rider and start taking big pulls yourself.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

The Greatest of All Time

the swimming was in a lake, and that was kind of freaky -- SO muddy and dirty that I couldn't see my own arms while I was swimming, let alone try to avoid anyone in front of me. Was I the only one? Anyway, it wasn't actually a big deal, but I wasn't mentally prepared for that at all.
                      That right there totally freaked me out during my first tri. When you have only swam in nice pools and then you jump in a pond or lake with a bunch of other people and can't see in the water...I almost hyperventilated. It was not pretty.
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Just in case anyone hasn't noticed, there is a "Swim Bike Run" forum here for tris, created recently: http://runningahead.com/groups/Tri/Forum

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.