10 year old running a 1/2 marathon... thoughts? (Read 2887 times)

Feeling the growl again

I'm a retired collegiate T&F coach and certified USATF Level 2 in endurance events and sprints.  Having a young kid run an endurance race like a 1/2 marathon is absolutely inappropriate and abusive...even if the kid's desire IS to run such an event.  it's completely irresponsible for a parent to allow a child that young run such a race.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  However, I believe yours is wrong.  You present no evidence of your allegations and abuse is a strong word I hope you have the ability to back up.

There are lots of bad collegiate coaches out there and I don't see how being able to pass some USATF certification makes your opinion any more valid than anyone else's.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

an amazing likeness

As someone who has had some experience of running long distance at an early age I would say go for it.

Everyone who hasn't already read Chris's story...please, please go read it here on RA.

(Relevance to current topic...organized 50 mile run test for kids in England during the mid-sixties. The UK version of the Presidential Physical Fitness test, whereas the US version had 600 yard run, some push-up, some situps, some pull-ups.)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

joescott

I've summitted 14ers in Colorado with two of my sons in the summer of their 10th birthdays [2006 & 2010].  These were sort of "rite of passage"/father-son challenge affairs, great fun, highly challenging for them and lifetime memories for both of us.   And I can tell you, **far** more demanding than running, say, a 2-hour half marathon.  I'd have no issues letting my son run a HM at age 10 if he really wanted to.  I don't see how this is abuse.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

I'm a retired collegiate T&F coach and certified USATF Level 2 in endurance events and sprints.  Having a young kid run an endurance race like a 1/2 marathon is absolutely inappropriate and abusive...even if the kid's desire IS to run such an event.  it's completely irresponsible for a parent to allow a child that young run such a race.

It's inappropriate for a 10 year old to run an event for which they're not prepared or trained. But if the kid can complete a training regimen -- safely and effectively -- then it's absurd to call this "abusive."

atomno2

It's inappropriate for a 10 year old to run an event for which they're not prepared or trained. But if the kid can complete a training regimen -- safely and effectively -- then it's absurd to call this "abusive."

+1

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

DukeDB

Perhaps the sight of a 10 year old running a HM would encourage other parents to end the abuse of allowing their own 10 year olds to vegetate in front of screens for 40+ "hpw".

Perhaps the sight of a 10 year old running a HM would encourage other parents to end the abuse of allowing their own 10 year olds to vegetate in front of screens for 40+ "hpw".

perhaps, but I doubt those parents would be there to witness it. :-)

No, they'll just sit on their asses and carp about the 10yo runner being "hurt" with all of that unnecessary activity.

mep5555

I can think of many many things that many parents of 10 year olds allow their kids to do that are far more inappropriate and abusive than running half marathons. My kids' club coaches are USATF certified as well ( not sure of the level, but not sure what the relevance is to this topic anyway?), but they don't share your OPINION (that's what it is...not fact). I'm sure there's plenty of current and retired college coaches who would disagree with you as well.

mep5555

I've summitted 14ers in Colorado with two of my sons in the summer of their 10th birthdays [2006 & 2010].  These were sort of "rite of passage"/father-son challenge affairs, great fun, highly challenging for them and lifetime memories for both of us.   And I can tell you, **far** more demanding than running, say, a 2-hour half marathon.  I'd have no issues letting my son run a HM at age 10 if he really wanted to.  I don't see how this is abuse.

Awesone! My youngest (currently 10) wants to hike up Pikes Peak,and we nearly went last summer, but put it off until the upcoming summer (he'll still be 10). We're flatlanders though, so the altitude may be a problem. He's wanted to run the Barr Trail Mountain Race the past couple years, but hasn't been old enough (missed by 13 days this past year), so he'll run it this coming July.

I ran many half marathons starting when I was 6, I don't think it hurt me, and it was a lot of fun however it did make high school cross country races seem short and fast. I'm 30 years old now I still love running, never had any injuries and plan to win a big marathon in the next 2 years! So I say do it!
                        LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I ran many half marathons starting when I was 6, I don't think it hurt me, and it was a lot of fun however it did make high school cross country races seem short and fast. I'm 30 years old now I still love running, never had any injuries and plan to win a big marathon in the next 2 years! So I say do it!

Running that young obviously ruined you, with your mere 2:35 marathon PR.  Wink

Chris UK

Everyone who hasn't already read Chris's story...please, please go read it here on RA.

(Relevance to current topic...organized 50 mile run test for kids in England during the mid-sixties. The UK version of the Presidential Physical Fitness test, whereas the US version had 600 yard run, some push-up, some situps, some pull-ups.)

Thanks Andy for pointing that out. To say a 10 year old running a half marathon is abuse is just plain silly. It would only be so if the kid was forced to do it. Also, as Joe has mentioned, such activities at an early age can result in a lifetime of memories. I know nearly 50 years later I still look back on that time with some pride and great memories. There are still people in my town that remember me doing it too.

Regarding the physical difficulties of doing 50 miles I can recall that afterwards I went home and had a soak in the bath and then biked out (no gears!) 10 miles to meet some of my friends - so I did 20 hilly miles on the bike that day too. I'm laying claim to being the first duathlete!!

However, the next day I got up for school to find that I could not stand up at all and spent 2 days recovering. After that I was quite sore but still able to walk to school. Bear in mind though that I did this in my school shoes and apart from a kid's normal activities did no training at all, so soreness was always going to occur. It's just that having never done anything like this before I didn't know it!. I was soon back to playing football etc. and would not regard this event as any more harmful than an adult doing a marathon or ultra event today.

2015 will be the 50th anniversary and Jake, an erstwhile writer on this forum, sowed a little seed in my mind that may yet take root. It would be interesting to see if the 64 year old veteran could take the 14 year old rookie. I would have the advantage of decent gear and training to outweigh the advancing years. It might also raise some good money for local charities. Now I wouldn't be able to have that as an incentive if I had not gone for it. Would I?

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Treadmill Addict

If he's trained well, then sure, I think that would be awesome. 

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

mep5555

I have a nephew who turned 10 a couple weeks ago that wants to run the mini-Indy next May (or whenever it is) with his mom or dad.  He's a decent runner, and mom & dad could both pace him, but he's never run more than a 5 mile race.  

He's run in a couple 5k's as well as a longer run (5 miles) and he really wants to run longer distances.

The Mom & Dad asked my wife and I what we thought.  (We don't know much, but I know people who do... y'all).

So, my question is, should he?  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

So did they sign him up or not? I ask because we ended up signing up, and will be there in Indy as well...my  will be 12 YO and 10 YO sons will be running the half.