Speaking of feeding babies... (Read 750 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If I were a girl or had girls, I would simply NOT trust the guy to have gotten vaccinated. I would take the responsibility to protect my own (or my daughter's) cervix. Guys simply cannot be trusted to take what is in a woman's interest seriously when they want to get some. To do otherwise would be tantamount to telling my daughter that she should use a condom, unless the guy forgot to bring one, in which case don't worry about it. The issue of HPV vaccine safety is a distinct issue from whou would actually benefit from the vaccine and whether it should be mandated.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For instance, all of my friends and I had homebirths
      Had we had a second kid I was ALL for homebirth. I had a c-section that I am 99% certain should not have happened. My kid was fully crowned and my asshat OB was bent on removing him surgically, instead of trying suction or forceps. Had I not been doped up (can we say epidural overdose...I couldn't feel anything below the neck and felt disconnected from my body--my first mistake was opting for pain meds. By the time the got the epidural in me I was AT 10, so I did just fine with all that contracting beforehand) and more in control of things I wouldn't have let him talk me into it. Hubby didn't even want to consider a homebirth VBAC and our local hospitals have both outlawed VBACs (another rant, there...no way was I going to go through ANOTHER c-section if it wasn't absolutely necessary), so those were the primary reasons we stopped with one kid. That and the breastfeeding difficulties. I didn't want to go through all of that again.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

If I were a girl or had girls, I would simply NOT trust the guy to have gotten vaccinated. I would take the responsibility to protect my own (or my daughter's) cervix. Guys simply cannot be trusted to take what is in a woman's interest seriously when they want to get some. To do otherwise would be tantamount to telling my daughter that she should use a condom, unless the guy forgot to bring one, in which case don't worry about it.
        What is wrong with vaccinating both your daughter PLUS all the boys she knows? Moving away from YOUR daughter (who probably isnt allowed to wear make-up until she is 30 and go out on a date until she is 35, right? Or have things gotten earlier these days, and she can now wear make-up at 25? Tongue), I think this is like going into a room of girls and telling them to take their own condom, and then going into a room of guys and telling them to take their own condoms. This increases the chance that one of them will remember a condom and therefore it is more likely they will use it.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What is wrong with vaccinating both your daughter PLUS all the boys she knows?
          Nothing at all. But I still don't trust that boy or what he tells me/her. She needs to make sure she is protected. He is a damn liar.
            Does this really have anything to do with what age to start rice cereal anymore?
              Had we had a second kid I was ALL for homebirth. I had a c-section that I am 99% certain should not have happened. My kid was fully crowned and my asshat OB was bent on removing him surgically, instead of trying suction or forceps. Had I not been doped up (can we say epidural overdose...I couldn't feel anything below the neck and felt disconnected from my body--my first mistake was opting for pain meds. By the time the got the epidural in me I was AT 10, so I did just fine with all that contracting beforehand) and more in control of things I wouldn't have let him talk me into it. Hubby didn't even want to consider a homebirth VBAC and our local hospitals have both outlawed VBACs (another rant, there...no way was I going to go through ANOTHER c-section if it wasn't absolutely necessary), so those were the primary reasons we stopped with one kid. That and the breastfeeding difficulties. I didn't want to go through all of that again.
              (((hugs))) that sounds pretty traumatic...I don't blame you for being apprehensive about a second try, LOL! On the other end of the spectrum, my longest labor was just under 4 hours and my shortest was 35 minutes. I don't usually realize I'm in labor until I hit transition. I'm a perfect candidate for homebirth. If I ever get knocked up again, it may end up being unattended. Tongue The trade off is that I suffer with months of hyperemesis gravidarum and IV PICC lines for nutrients and fluids. I'm a horrible pregnant person but a great birther. There's a ying and yang to everything it seems... Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

Does this really have anything to do with what age to start rice cereal anymore?
                Big grin nope!

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

On the other end of the spectrum, my longest labor was just under 4 hours and my shortest was 35 minutes. I don't usually realize I'm in labor until I hit transition. I'm a perfect candidate for homebirth. If I ever get knocked up again, it may end up being unattended. Tongue The trade off is that I suffer with months of hyperemesis gravidarum and IV PICC lines for nutrients and fluids. I'm a horrible pregnant person but a great birther. There's a ying and yang to everything it seems... Big grin
                  I LOVED being pregnant...never felt better in my life! Eryn had BAD hyperemesis with her kids, too. My first mistake was in letting the hospital staff talk me into pitocin. It had been about 2 hours since my water broke and I was still not contracting, so they pretty much made it sound like status quo. Once that crap went into effect I went from 4cm to 10cm in 40 minutes--obviously I didn't need the drug, just a little patience from the nurses. The pitocin only made things violent. I don't even remember that 40 minutes, since it was pretty much back-to-back contractions without any break or pain relief (they called the anesthesiologist, but by the time he got to me and got the epidural in my back I was already fully dialated). Actually, my first mistake was in not having a midwife or even a doula to help be an advocate for my needs/wishes, rather than the hospital staff's wishes. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Nope, and I'll take the fault on that...I started the criticism of my Amish family & their rampant honey feeding!! Big grin
                    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                      Nothing at all. But I still don't trust that boy or what he tells me/her. She needs to make sure she is protected. He is a damn liar.
                      I have a boy and a girl of my own, plus a step-son. My kids are pretty well behaved (they have to be, I'm a Nazi mom, remember?!). I hope that when the day comes, I can trust all of them to make the right decisions and respect the people in their lives. But I would still tell any girl, not just my own, not to trust any boy. Protect themselves at all costs is my theory. Seriously, if you are like me & have NO desire to have any more children, or maybe you are a woman that never wants children, would you trust a man to take his birth control pills? Personally, there is no way I'd take that risk! I went radical on my approach to this...hysterectomy!! Taking out the baby carriage & putting in the playpen, as my husband & I refer to our birth control method!! Big grin Ok, so maybe going that crazy isn't necessary for most (my hyst was at age 25, post 6 laparoscopies & 9+yrs of misery), but I want to be the one responsible for and in control of my body, which means protecting myself.
                        Like she said about solid foods and breastfeeding. And while I am a pediatrician and I believe in vaccination and I vaccinate my children and encourage others to vaccinate their children, I also recognize that it is up to parents to decide whether to vaccinate their own child. And, unlike many colleagues, I will still care for unvaccinated children. BUT, I also make absolutely sure that the family is fully informed about the risks and benefits both of vaccination and of withholding vaccination, and make sure that they recognize that some vaccines are less risky and / or more important than others. A family may elect to withhold one vaccine but provide another to their children, and they need to understand that. Families also need to understand that breastfeeding does not well protect against vaccine preventable illnesses, especially after breastfeeding is discontinued. Gardisil anyone?
                        Did I mention that most Amish do not believe in vaccinating either?? Some families do, most don't. Most also believe that not taking care of your teeth, letting them rot & fall out, then getting dentures at a very young age is more cost effective than seeing a dentist. I am obsessive about going to, and taking my children to, the dentist, so it is another one of those things that makes me almost beat my SIL. I have the most beautiful 6yr old niece who has virtually no teeth left. Not because they have fallen out & she has a cute, little girl, toothless smile. Because what few teeth are still there are black & rotted. My SIL & her husband have the same theory my hubby was raised with by my MIL...toothbrushes are an frivolous expense! Hence, in addition to what the dental insurance covered, we put $1200 into my husband's mouth last year...still trying to catch up from his first 18+yrs of life!
                          Change can be hard. Especially when you live in a culture which opposes it. Somestimes it is best to love your family for who they are, since you probably cant change them anyway. However, I note that the Amish are still around, so they must be doing some things right! Otherwise they would have been extinct years ago! Feel free to rant all you want here. Isnt it amazing how venting to people, most of whom you dont know, can really help? (Now, if only I could take my own advice!)
                          OverAnalyzer

ok, I can see that I am late to the game and probably under-qualified to answer your question, but as an over-google-er (a new word! Cool) and a new mom of a 4 month old, I do know what I've been told and what we're doing.... NO cereal or other food until at least six months....and then only cereal for a while, and introducing only one food at a time. (BUT my husband and my mom have life threatening food allergies and we are proceeding with caution as a result) I am also breastfeediing as long as I can stand pumping. (BF at home, pump at work.....sigh.) My goal is one year. And Trent, I do have to say that while I know you are an expert, or a soon to be expert, I can't help but think that there might be a link btwn the rice cereal my husband got from 2 wks onward and his history of food allergy (nut, legumes mainly). Just my own personal theory that may have as much to do with my aggravation with my MILs parenting 'tips' as anything else. Roll eyes (Best for me not to hijack the thread with all of her notions though!) One last note -- I've heard that there is a higher instance of choking with cereal in a bottle, so I suppose I'd probably spoon feed. I am not even going to dip my toes in the water on all those other discussions. Wink