racing shoes (Read 1265 times)

I am working on running a sub 3 hour marathon and am looking for every advantage I can find. My last 4 marathons I run in asics gel nimbus. Do most people race in lighter shoes and if so do you train in them? I have read you can gain up to 1 sec per mile per ounce of weight lost in shoes. I would be willing to try a lighter shoe if it will help. thanks

I train in Gel Nimbus all the time, and have ran my last 3 marathons in Nike LunaRacers. The marathon before the LunaRacers I wore the Nimbus.  By the end  of the race, my feet didn't hurt any less wearing the racing flats. I think the lighter shoe is a good thing. I never wear them for training runs (though I know some people train in them to try them out -- I try them out in shorter races from 5Ks up to 1/2Ms).

I am working on running a sub 3 hour marathon and am looking for every advantage I can find. My last 4 marathons I run in asics gel nimbus. Do most people race in lighter shoes and if so do you train in them? I have read you can gain up to 1 sec per mile per ounce of weight lost in shoes. I would be willing to try a lighter shoe if it will help. thanks

I'm a minimalist and I train, and often race, in Hyper Speed or Tarther.  If short race, I wear ASICS Sortie which is equivalent of Piranha.  I do understand, however, many don't even come near those "racing" shoes to run a marathon which I do understand.  Recently I tried ASICS Sky Speed and, surprisingly even to myself, I liked them a lot.  Usually if I wear "wrong" shoes or thick and bulky shoes, I feel it right away and can't even run in them.  But this guy, though just from looking at them they don't look anythnig I might even try to run or race in, somehow "felt right".  Now I do almost all of my morning run in Sky Speed.  They come a bit wide and, one of the ladies I coach, she tried but didn't like them as much because they were too roomy for her feet.  She prefered DS Trainer which comes a bit narrow to me.

Feeling the growl again

I run marathons in what most would consider "5K flats".  Basically the lightest shoes I can find.  You can only do this if you train in them enough to condition/strengthen your legs....if you do all your running in trainers your calves will be toasted in 10 miles.

When preparing for such a race I typically do my speedwork and tempo day in flats.   So 4-6 miles on Tuesday, 8-12 miles on Thursday.  That's always been enough for me, too much in such minimal shoes and I have to sacrifice volume for recovery.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I use Mizuno Wave Ronin flats.  Of course everyone should pick what works for them I tried about a 6-8 pairs of flats before picking these.

I tend to run progressively longer races leading up to a marathon, and use the flats in all of them, no ill affects so far.

I run marathons in what most would consider "5K flats".  Basically the lightest shoes I can find.  You can only do this if you train in them enough to condition/strengthen your legs....if you do all your running in trainers your calves will be toasted in 10 miles.

When preparing for such a race I typically do my speedwork and tempo day in flats.   So 4-6 miles on Tuesday, 8-12 miles on Thursday.  That's always been enough for me, too much in such minimal shoes and I have to sacrifice volume for recovery.

Ah!!  Spaniel-san! ;o)  Here's something I've learnt and I suggest to people who try out this "racing flats" stuff.  Yes, most people do as you suggest.  I did the exact opposite.  I wore heavy training shoes for tempo and intervals and wore thin "flats" for my easy jog days.  Why your calves get tight and sore when you do fast runs?  Because you stretch them more when you run fast.  Why your calves get tight and sore when you wear thin flats?  Because you stretch your calves and Achilles further.  So why combine them when you are starting out?  Go easy on your legs; wear flats for morning jog, for example, to get used to.  Wear cushiony shoes for intervals--I know it's defeating the puspose but trust me; it works wonder.  Once you get used to it and your calves stretched out and strengthened, THEN wear your racing flats for race-simulated workout.  Don't jump to it.

At almost 200 pounds (and even in my peak days - 170) - I've always had to train in cushioned shoes with at least some support.  It didn't matter what I did to try to adjust to flats - different flats, different brands, different approaches to trying to get accustomed to them - I never got used to them and I would always aggravate knee issues or hamstring problems (especially in hilly races).  During races i could feel the extra wear and tear as it happened - indoor track was always painful.  Plus with my weight and stride I shredded through them - I didn't even make it through one high school track season with Nike Duellists. 

When I started racing again I didn't feel like spending money on racers I'd never use and hated wearing anyway, I just use my trainers.  I've had no issues.  I don't think the extra few ounces on top of 200 pounds slows me down at all, in fact, since I'm used to the shoes I feel better during the races and probably hold my pace better.

Its also fun when I catch the occasional wise ass who sees someone my size at the front of the pack in the first mile of a 5K tell me I'm going too fast and I beat him and his light shoes, often by enough that I go stand by the finish line and stare him down during his finishing kick.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I'm a minimalist and I train, and often race, in Hyper Speed or Tarther.  If short race, I wear ASICS Sortie which is equivalent of Piranha.  I do understand, however, many don't even come near those "racing" shoes to run a marathon which I do understand.  Recently I tried ASICS Sky Speed and, surprisingly even to myself, I liked them a lot.  Usually if I wear "wrong" shoes or thick and bulky shoes, I feel it right away and can't even run in them.  But this guy, though just from looking at them they don't look anythnig I might even try to run or race in, somehow "felt right".  Now I do almost all of my morning run in Sky Speed.  They come a bit wide and, one of the ladies I coach, she tried but didn't like them as much because they were too roomy for her feet.  She prefered DS Trainer which comes a bit narrow to me.

I like the Hyper Speed.  I just bought my third pair since last January.  How ever,  for some reason I can't seem to get more than 2-3 hundred miles out of the sole.  i rub the red right off.  Then into the white.  Obviously i must have a weird stride.  I guess that I am sliding my foot a lot on landing.  But I do like them a lot due to low drop and wide fore foot.  

I have the same problem with my new balance minimus trail.   Too bad that they both don't have a harder rubber out sole.

steph  

Asics Piranha for anything up to a half Marathon.  Asics Tarthers for anything longer.

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

No Talent Drips

Asics DS Racer. Good shoe.

Dei Gratia

Asics Piranha for anything up to a half Marathon.  Asics Tarthers for anything longer.

Diamond J:

Did you do your marathon?  How did it go?

Marylander

Its also fun when I catch the occasional wise ass who sees someone my size at the front of the pack in the first mile of a 5K tell me I'm going too fast and I beat him and his light shoes, often by enough that I go stand by the finish line and stare him down during his finishing kick.

Too funny. Assumptions that you keep inside your head are one thing but saying them out loud? Smile Guys like that probably don't learn their lesson though.