Madison Marathon canceled (Read 1551 times)

xor

All I know is that the Madison dude has closed his race with absolute no caring that travelers got bent over in 2006, 2010, and 2012.

...and it's not like the Madison Marathon has ever been that great in years when it was cool.

Anyone nonlocal who registers for this race going forward better be prepared to throw their money away while a race director smiles and smiles about how he's doing it for your own good.

I wonder how Med-City went.

I wonder how Med-City went.

I ran Med-City and it was hot...73F and 85% humidity at the 7AM start. I adjusted and finished. I think it was upper 80s by the time I was done. According to the results, more than 1% of us finished, too. Looks like 18 of 446 DNF:

http://www.onlineraceresults.com/race/view_plain_text.php?race_id=24215

Dave

xor

18 of 446!  Shoot, I know not-hot races with bigger DNF rates.

Good job on finishing without spontaneously combusting (aka, running smart).

I ran 6 or 7 miles in Madison that morning.  It was 72 when I finished at a little after 7 AM. 

I think it was low 80's when the top runners would have finished.  There is no doubt that 5+ hour runners would have suffered though.  It was 90 by noon.  Does that justify nobody can run?  I don't know.  I'm glad I'm not in charge of it though. 

I ran / walked for 5:10:00+ that afternoon for 26.2 miles starting at about 2pm in Houston in 90+ degrees.

(But, it wasn't great.  I was hoping for a quicker run.)

The winner did the marathon portion in 2:40:00 in those same conditions.

I was trying to stay out of this dialogue....

I will say, though, that the support at the race I did (with ice sponges, etc.) was about as good as you can imagine.  For the 2500+/- athletes, there were about 500-750 volunteers along the 8.5 mile loop (done 3 times), making the run experience excellent.  I didn't see any heat issues (other than extended walk breaks), and I didn't see or hear any sirens attending to athletes.

For a larger race, in warmer-than-expected temperatures, I can imagine that the coordination of additional last minute volunteers and supplies and medical attention along the route would make for challenges that are much bigger than the challenges for the race that I was a part of.

For the training I did for that race, the weather conditions were known to be an issue months in advance and the nutrition necessary to handle that race were thought out by every athlete, race organizer, and volunteer in advance.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

DoppleBock

With global warming pretty soon WI will only be able to run marathons in November 15th - March 15th.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

With global warming pretty soon WI will only be able to run marathons in November 15th - March 15th.

maybe icebreaker marathon should change to memorial day weekend.

can they fit 10,000 runners on a 2-lane track? 

18 of 446!  Shoot, I know not-hot races with bigger DNF rates.

Good job on finishing without spontaneously combusting (aka, running smart).

Not very often I get accused of being smart!

It was obvious pretty early that it was not a day to push it. I did see one runner down around Mile 7 or 8, but he may have been a 1/2 marathoner, as we all started at the same time.

The Med-City winner managed a 2:30Tight lippedx...

Dave

nextyearcubs

I've been eyeballing Icebreaker the past couple years, I think maybe I'll have to try it out this winter!

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Grandma's marathon, registration closes in just a couple days.

I'll be there, so it is guaranteed to be unseasonably warm. Again.

xor

Grandma's marathon, registration closes in just a couple days.

I remember when we used to say that in January.  Sigh.

And remember: Grandmas is now on record that they will pull the plug on their race if the pre-start wet bulb temp is above x.  I think x is 68.  That seems low, however, "wet bulb" factors in other stuff and isn't just the raw temp.  But anyway, no way would I throw money at Grandmas and deal with lodging as a plan B if it seems like it will be hot**.

** or if Trent is there. Which is apparently the same thing.

Although I've only had one warm Monkey experience.  So the mojo does not carry-o.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I prefer to select more interesting weather than plain vanilla hot for Monkey. Hot is so boring.