App for Organizing Runs with Friends (Read 69 times)

raquelk

Hey everybody - I am considering developing an app that allows you to organize your runs with friends. Basically, any time you want company on a run, you put it on a calendar that only those you've approved can see. If they want to join then they can "opt in" to let you know they'll be there. Of course, you could limit what some buddies see if they show up to your runs too often.

Is this something that you would be interested in using? If yes, what would you request from an app like this? If no, why not?

Thanks!

an amazing likeness

So it would be like PacePal?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

raquelk

Not really. It would not help you find people to run with that you don't know. Instead, it would allow you to easily join other friends for their runs (or rides or hikes) without having to send mass text messages or start long email chains. You can "opt in" to a friend's run with the touch of a button to indicate that you will be there. You can also post your own runs on the calendar so that your friends can join if they want.

All this technology! I'm way old-school. I just text my running friends and ask.

raquelk

All this technology! I'm way old-school. I just text my running friends and ask.

I know! But, do you ever forget to include a friend? Or not have someone's phone number, but you'd be okay with running with them? Or do you ever want to just see what's going on tomorrow without having to text everyone?

If you have those issues, an app like this could help. Are there any features that would make you use the app over jsut texting?

+1

Why not, Raquelk asks? Because most times I prefer to run by myself... and I'm old-school.

Not saying your idea is good or bad, but... I have something very similar to this right here on RA. Most of my local running friends and I have a group here. Within that group we have an ongoing thread called "Group runs". Whenever any of us is looking for somebody to run with we post in that thread. It works pretty well. Sometimes we use it to arrange big group runs, sometimes somebody will throw out something like "Hey, I'm heading out in an hour to do 10, company welcome". Etc. etc. And when we want to limit it to a smaller crowd we can send it out as a message to whoever we choose. I'm not sure what an app would provide that we aren't already getting here.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

I know! But, do you ever forget to include a friend? Or not have someone's phone number, but you'd be okay with running with them? Or do you ever want to just see what's going on tomorrow without having to text everyone?

If you have those issues, an app like this could help. Are there any features that would make you use the app over jsut texting?

I think it could be a good thing for people with a larger circle of running friends. Smile

jicama

Did we win?

meetup.com is not specific to runners, but it's made to do exactly what you're looking for.  I used to run with a group in Clayton, NC that had a meetup group.

www.meetup.com/Clayton-Area-Runners

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48