Soda pops affect on running (Read 1112 times)

The Greatest of All Time

Cool! I was at Texas from 80 to 86 (BS, MS). My dad still teaches there, so I get to hang out on campus when I visit.
    Another Longhorn here...awesome. Hook 'Em!
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Non ducor, duco.

. But I drink plenty of water and some milk too.
      The milk can be as bad as the SODA or COKE or pop, unless you're looking for a performance boost by way of ingesting the hormones.
        I very occasionally will have a soda (nothing like a can of coke -- the bottles of coke taste different to me) mid-afternoon and I swear I run faster. Tongue

Michelle

The Greatest of All Time

The milk can be as bad as the SODA or COKE or pop, unless you're looking for a performance boost by way of ingesting the hormones.
          I never meant to imply that I drink milk to enhance my running. I drink it after I run for the protein and a little sugar. I can't imagine drinking milk before a run....ewww.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            I DREENK ONLY DIET.
              (nothing like a can of coke -- the bottles of coke taste different to me) Tongue
              I feel the same way! What is it about the can that makes it taste better?
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oh, I totally disagree. It is better in the bottle. And always has been. Always.
                  Oh, I totally disagree. It is better in the bottle. And always has been. Always.
                  are we talking plastic or glass here?
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

glass. is there any other kind?
                      To get back to the original topic of this post...... I think that drinking coke or soda or whatever the hell you want to call it from a glass bottle could have a very detrimental effect on running. Seriously, look at the increased risk of injury associated with a glass bottle instead of a nice, safe aluminum can. (especially if you drink coke in the shower)
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, but it is easier to extract the bottle if you accidentally choke on it when compared to choking on a can.
                        RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

This is a very interesting subject for me. I decide 3 weeks ago to stop drinking pop. By pop I mean Diet Mt Dew and yes I don't mean Coke! Why should Coke get all of this free advertisement and who can understand you if you are always saying "Give me a coke" when you mean a diet Mt Dew? Anyway, I have not noticed any big differences in my running or general well being. I mainly stopped drinking it because of the carbonation. I replaced it with G2. I wish I more info to tell you other then I really don't notice the difference. As long as I stay busy at work, which has not been a problem, then I don't think I will miss caffine.
                            2011 Goals:
                            Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                            Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pop = midwestern friendliness, reminds you of your grandfather. Soda = the generic term for carbonated and sweetened, non-alcoholic beverages. Coke = southern tendency toward consumer product brand loyalty as a result of NASCAR affiliated idolatry and brainwashing.
                            Explain "pop" in MI. NASCRAP is HUGE here (I had never even heard of it growing up on the "soda" side of Lake MI...it's like culture shock).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

its funny how mankind ever made to the 20th century without the aid of pop/soda/coke and instead relied upon water, beer and wine. Seems like we have regressed in sophistication of our beverages.... Cool