Running a Marathon in the Rain - Advice? (Read 3833 times)

I'm running my first marathon in 11 days, and the current forecast is calling for low 50s and rain. Of course, forecasts are notoriously inaccurate for just 2-3 days in advance, so I'm not taking much stock in this forecast. Nevertheless, it occurred to me I have no idea what to do if it is raining on race day. What is good and bad about running in a rainy marathon, and what, if anything, can you do to help overcome the bad?
      Body Glide your feet to prevent blisters if your feet get wet, especially the toes. A running vest (I use one made for biking that is completely mesh on the back) can help your core stay warm if your damp/wet. A hat to keep the rain out of your eyes. Don't wear cotton. Hum, that's all i can think of at the moment. I love running in the rain. I hope you enjoy it!
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      Jeffrey

I like running in the rain too! (50s and rain sounds pleasant; if it was 30s and rain, not so pleasant.) - Wear double-layer socks. Wrightsock is a good brand. They help prevent rubbing that causes blisters but you can still get blisters while wearing them. You may need a second layer of prevention like bodyglide or bandaids. - Use Bodyglide! Put it in places where you have never chafed before. You cannot use too much.
          Have never run a marathon, but the one thing I always do before a run where it looks like it may rain is put a small amount of tape over my nipples! Saves a LOT of pain in the shower after the run Smile Running in the rain is one of the great pleasures in life, enjoy the moment. Have a great marathon!

Geoff

Scout7

You're gonna get wet, plain and simple. Be prepared that. Hat is a good idea. If your race gives you those cotton gloves, don't wear 'em. They'll be useless pretty quick.

Go Pre!

dual layer dri-fit shirts - keeps the bib from sticking to your chest. If someone can meet you half way with a new dry shirt for the first layer, and dry socks. The minute you lose changing could be worth it. MTA: the thinnest shirts possible will remain lighter. Even dri-fits retain rain if it's coming down hard enough Smile

My advice: Get wet. Big grin Tape on the nipples is one of the first things that I take care of, and some lubing up your thighs and between your cheeks in the rear end is the second. It absolutely poured for the first 30 minutes of the Pisgah 50k last September, and everything that my shorts touched got chafed. It didn't impact my run much, though, which was a pleasant surprise.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)