Then and now (Read 1402 times)

I can recall myself 6 years ago when i could barely run a half mile. I was 215lbs at 15 and terribly out of shape. After looking at myself in the mirror one day disgusted with myself i decided then and there that i was going to get my ass on the move. I worked out and ate healthy every single day for a long time at the gym. an oppourtunity came up to climb Mt. Washington in New Hampshire 6,288ft. For you guys out west thats not much, but 5 miles of climbing up and 5 miles down is quite a bit. To my surprise not only did i make it to the top, i beat people by almost 2 hours! Ive got hooked on climbing all the mountains in the area, and hopefully get out west and do some real climbing. Now i weigh in at about 165lbs, and can run 5 miles fairly efforlessly. I want to get invloved in running more so i joined this forum, and signed up for a 5k with my sister Shub1727. Im excited for this run, and hopefully will do a half marathon after winter is over. For anybody who read this, dont ever feel like you cant acheive your goals. you just have to work hard for it and it will pay off!
    http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com
      For anybody who read this, dont ever feel like you cant acheive your goals. you just have to work hard for it and it will pay off!
      Amen to that. Great job on reaching your goals and striving for more.
      "If I control myself, I control my destiny."

You'll ruin your knees!

Welcome, Tyler! Outstanding! 215 @ 15 to 165 @ 21! Freakin' awesome! The start of your story is very consistent with the way I got back into this... Keep it up, and post early and often! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

congratulations tyler! what a huge difference you will have made to your life by making that choice to get moving.
            Thanks guys... it was tough but worth every minute of effort. now my goal is to get into optimal shape!

Mount Washington is a fun climb. Which trail did you take? My last trip up there was a couple of years ago when we took the tuckerman ravine. And as for height, it beats anything else on this side of the Mississippi.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

And as for height, it beats anything else on this side of the Mississippi.
                Yes, I suppose at 5'2'' I am rather short. Big grin

Michelle

Yes, I suppose at 5'2'' I am rather short. Big grin
                  Ha.

Run to Win

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

If you like Mt Washington, and you like running, then clearly you need to enter the Mt Washington Road Race. It's a blast. Smile
                    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

If you like Mt Washington, and you like running, then clearly you need to enter the Mt Washington Road Race. It's a blast. Smile
                      I will at some point, but I'm not quite ready for that yet. I'm also not a very big fan of lotteries unless I have a guaranteed way to bypass them. In a year or two, I'll aim for doing all of the mountain series races and getting an automatic bib for the Mt. Washington race. I think that getting at least a few other mountain races in first would be a better idea. I might head over and volunteer one of these years though.

Run to Win

Welcome, Tyler! Very impressive on the weight loss and the running Smile Looking forward to hearing about your future races!
                        2009: BQ?
                          I can recall myself 6 years ago when i could barely run a half mile. I was 215lbs at 15 and terribly out of shape. After looking at myself in the mirror one day disgusted with myself i decided then and there that i was going to get my ass on the move. I worked out and ate healthy every single day for a long time at the gym. an oppourtunity came up to climb Mt. Washington in New Hampshire 6,288ft. For you guys out west thats not much, but 5 miles of climbing up and 5 miles down is quite a bit. To my surprise not only did i make it to the top, i beat people by almost 2 hours! Ive got hooked on climbing all the mountains in the area, and hopefully get out west and do some real climbing. Now i weigh in at about 165lbs, and can run 5 miles fairly efforlessly. I want to get invloved in running more so i joined this forum, and signed up for a 5k with my sister Shub1727. Im excited for this run, and hopefully will do a half marathon after winter is over. For anybody who read this, dont ever feel like you cant acheive your goals. you just have to work hard for it and it will pay off!
                          I had to read that again! That's awesome and inspiring.

Michelle

Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Impressive. Well done. Neil UK Smile

Running ... just keep running!

I took the Amonoosuc ravine trail up, and the Jewell trail down... its a fun climb you should try it. the rockiness on the way down above treeline is a big pain and can be dangerous but the challenge is good! As for the run up mt. washington... a few more years of uphill run practice would have to do first... its gotta be grueling.