So Rock-N-Roll has updated its' Heavy Medals. . . (Read 276 times)

I am at a place in life where I can travel (almost... Twins are juniors in H.S. so not just yet).  But.... I notice today that Rock-N-Roll series has (finally) updated their heavy medal series).

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/bling?hm=heavy-medals&utm_source=RS6&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=rnrheavymedals&utm_term=enroll&utm_content=heavymedals

They also have a thing where you can run 15 races in 1 year and be gold record (something to that effect).

I know there can be some big difference of opinion on folks who do the R-N-R events, and those who vow never to run any of them, but any opinions?

I actually had the thought to run 15 of 'em in some future year.  But then I have had 3 beers at the time of this posting and surely may feel differently tomorrow.  --  At any rate, Opinions on the RNR medals?  Look kind of nice actually....  

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Feeling the growl again

No opinions on the people who run the races, I have friends who like Color Runs and Tough Mudders so I think I can handle RNR folks.

The races themselves, I greatly dislike due to what they have done to many formerly local races and a variety of other factors.

Their races are expensive.  I personally don't get the attraction of medals, especially ones that will cost hundreds of dollars a piece.  But to each their own.  Some of them are kinda pretty I guess.  Some people pay Disney a small fortune for Goofy medals.  As long as it is worth it to them.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

KMB

I'm not much of a medal person so I may be hijacking here, but I am in the minority as a supporter of RnR events.  I had never run one or even knew much about them when they decided to put one on in RI where I live... my initial impression when I read about it: half marathon? July? in the city? $100? Good luck getting my money.  Then they approached my club about pacing the race to which we agreed... The expo dropped my jaw - primarily because nothing close to that scope had ever been put on in PVD... usual RI expo - a  mini ball room at the convention center... this one - the entire top floor of the convention center.  The race: 13 miles completely closed to traffic.  You just don't see that in races around here except a 5k or two.  Year 1 it rained biblically but I was so impressed with the scale of the event.  Year 2 was a bit smaller, weather was better, really enjoyed post race (band, beer, weather); year 3 half the size of the year 1 expo (it was becoming apparent they were scaling back - more on that in a bit).  Great race, great post race.  Shortly after, they announced they wouldn't be back to PVD.  I went to San Antonio this past December and ran their event there and continue to be impressed by the conduct of their events.  Huge venues, closed roads, near flawless execution.  I have gotten acquainted with several folks at Competitor group, including senior level, and find them very friendly, professional, and genuine.  They are focused on putting together big, well organized races.  Yes, they want you to buy stuff, yes they want you to go to multiple events (just like my employer wants people to buy stuff from them, over and over again).  But my experience has always been that they want to earn that repeat business by ensuring you can count on their quality leading to your good experience.  The races are big and you will will see freaks and geeks and people that couldn't care less if they are out on the course for days, and you will see elites as well.  Want to get up close with both groups? Get a VIP pass at one of their events (which frankly I'd recommend anyway).  They left PVD because they don't do small scale events... if they can't get 15k+ people, its not cost effective to conduct their event.  Keep researching - you will see horror stories... but like many big scale things, one hiccup can impact a lot of people and in these social media days, it's public.  But I am an advocate of their product.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Feeling the growl again

you will see elites as well.  

Interesting you bring that up.  In 2013 they pulled the plug on elite athletes, and screwed elite athletes on appearance fees only two weeks out for an event.  They couldn't even have enough integrity to follow through on prior commitments.

Most elite runners don't make a ton of money.  Most of them DO gear their training cycles around specific races.  To screw athletes on a payday after they have built a training cycle around your race is bad form in the highest order.

It was only after huge backlash that the elite program was re-instated.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

KMB

I hear you and will admit i'm an elite ignoramus... I'm not defending everything about RnR or Competitor.  Most every company has its missteps, misgivings, and warts... at least I can't think of any that haven't wronged some group somewhere.  I think every company that takes cost cutting measures gets criticism for where those cuts got made... but I also believe that they (CG) have a senior person or two there that has done a whole lot of good for talent development up to and including to the elite level (and may have been just as upset by the cut there as well - but I have no idea if that is the case... given their background it wouldn't surprise me).  My main point though was that from what I read which isn't a ton, the majority seems to frown on RnR but my experiences have all been positive.  That's all.  And I feel guilt - the guy was asking about medals.

dennrunner

The races themselves, I greatly dislike due to what they have done to many formerly local races and a variety of other factors.

Their races are expensive.

This.

A few years ago RnR bought out a local race (half and full) in the St. Louis area. They moved the race location from the outlying area to the city. The first year they had a big draw. Declining participants each year since. Looks like for 2015 they are even dropping the full.

Since the half participants greatly outnumber the full participants, I see how they want to maximize their profit by holding a shorter-lasting race.  Still, it sucks.

beat

Break on through

Those medals look nice - creative, well-made.  But I don't care about medals.  They don't affect the decision of choosing which races I run.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Cyberic

The Montreal (local for me) Marathon and Half is now a Rock'n Roll event. I've run the half the past two years and will run the full this coming september. I'm not running it because it's a R&R event, but because it's local and I get to sleep in my own bed and take public transportation to the starting line.

Some elite used to come to Montreal, but now that the prize money is gone, they don't come anymore. There's a downside to that, obviously, but there's also an upside: locals can win the marathon now.

The race is very well organized, I have nothing to say against the organization.

Personnally though, I don't care about finisher's medals, about big expos, and the like. I would prefer a cheaper entry fee, and less bling, but since it's right here in my back yard and don't have to pay for transportation and hotel, it's still relatively affordable.

My post has not been on subject until now, so I'll add that their new heavy medals look really nice, even if they would end up in the bottom of my drawer just like the others.

kcam

Personally, I couldn't care less about getting a medal even the pretty ones (I think they're a waste of resources) but if people like to 'earn' them then right on!

On R&R, I agree with KMB.  I've run New Orleans, Phoenix and San Jose R&R races and without exception they have been exactly as KMB described.  They cost a lot but they deliver a lot.  If I were ready to run a good time and a R&R event was in my race timeframe I wouldn't hesitate to sign up and run it.

kcam

This.

A few years ago RnR bought out a local race (half and full) in the St. Louis area. They moved the race location from the outlying area to the city. The first year they had a big draw. Declining participants each year since. Looks like for 2015 they are even dropping the full.

Since the half participants greatly outnumber the full participants, I see how they want to maximize their profit by holding a shorter-lasting race.  Still, it sucks.

Seems like another explanation is that they are merely catering to the desires of the vast majority of their customers .. the half marathon.

Well I have sobered up from my 3-beer venture last night, and am still split on the idea of possibly doing a bunch of RNR races in one calendar year.  Most I have ever done in 1 year is 2, only because they were local.  (Va Beach, and Raleigh, NC.  And Philly one year...).

On the medals:  I am conflicted.  Medals were a motivating factor when I started running 3 years ago.  But I have gone from "I want to fill my medal rack" 3 years ago to when I started, to "I don't need or desire any more medals".  Well if I ever run Boston, an exception there.  So I guess I am conflicted.  Living mostly as a minimalist, I do not desire to 'add' to the amount of medals I have.   But... since I am retired, trying to find ways to motivate myself to travel + run. :-)   Will leave it more to 2017ish time frame and see how I feel about it then.

---On the issue of "declining numbers" for the races, I agree, and it seems to be that way across the board.  Virginia Beach has existed since the year 2000 I believe, one of the first 4 RNR events.   But... A friend of mine tallied up the "results" pages over the years and you see a slow, but consistent decline in the number of participants.    RNR has also removed more races than it has added.  RI, FL, and a few others are gone.  Makes me wonder how long RNR can continue in its' current form with continually declining numbers everywhere.

---And on the issue of "Expensive", I see that differently.  Don't they offer a tour pass you can buy for a few hundred and then run unlimited races?    Also, I signed up for VA Beach in 2013 (at the expo, 1 year prior to the next yr's event) for 60.00, and this year at the expo signed up for the next event 1 year out for only $45.00.   Hell, most little 5K's in my area cost 40 bucks!

That leaves the question, if a person wanted to run 10+ R-N-R races, couldn't they do it for a maximum of  300-400 bucks, the cost of the tour pass?    (Minus travel of course... Lets assume a person liked traveling and planned to travel anyway, and the races were just part of the experience) . . . ?

#artbydmcbride

At their Las Vegas race, the time limit for the marathon is 5 Hours, and they state this:

If a participant’s pace falls below the course time limit, they have a few options:

• Increase their pace to stay within the event minimum pace;
                          • Board a “sag wagon” shuttle to move forward on the course, where they may continue to participate in the event, maintaining the minimum pace required; or
                          • If the participant cannot continue, they may board a sag wagon to be dropped off at the next shuttle location, at a nearby medical station. The participant will be seen by a Medical Team captain to be cleared for the medical shuttle to transport the participant to the finish line.

If you are going slow enough, you can get a ride in the middle of the race!  Smile  Maybe win an age group medal this way!

Runners run

• Board a “sag wagon” shuttle to move forward on the course, where they may continue to participate in the event, maintaining the minimum pace required; or
                            • If the participant cannot continue, they may board a sag wagon to be dropped off at the next shuttle location, at a nearby medical station. The participant will be seen by a Medical Team captain to be cleared for the medical shuttle to transport the participant to the finish line. 

Lol, yeah there are some negatives to the R-N-R... The elites being dropped cold a few years ago as one poster mentioned, the CEO of the organization at the time catching a ride + cutting the course, finishing, and getting a friggin' age group medal, and yes indeed the one I despise greatly, just get on a bus, ride to the finish, get your medal and pretend like you ran the entire thing.  

The whole "sag wagon to the finish line" idea is {{{BONG}}} CUC-Koo!  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Our local track club sponsors races from 1M to marathon, with fees from $15 to $80.  They're all chip timed, on certified courses.  That's pretty much all I need.  I would be really upset if Competitor or the like bought out the marathon.

joescott

I despise RNR races for all the same reasons stated in some of the posts above.  But, I will consider doing one for free sometime.  My employer sponsors some races every year and usually that comes with some number of free entries for employees.  One of these days, I will probably avail myself of that perquisite and set aside my principles.  ;-)   Heck, I might even try to catch a sag wagon and get me a sub 2:30 PR, put me in pretty elite company then!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.