Homeschooling? (Read 1986 times)

Why is it sideways?

yeah, that's like half of my friends' facebook statuses right now.

unoriginal troll. Joking

It's half their statuses because it's AWESOME duh.

It's half their statuses because it's AWESOME duh.

what's really awesome are these goldfish I'm about to consume.

DOWN WITH THE GOLDFISH.

xor

What about the three eyed goldfish?

What about the three eyed goldfish?

i have yet to meet one, but when i do, he's toast.

(wait, was that an old song/movie reference?)

xor

That was a Simpsons reference, homeschoolie.

fast momma!

I think there have been some major changes to the possibilities for home schoolers in the last decade or so when it relates to computers.  I know you can now get curriculums and daily lessons on-line for any age k-beyond college. I think for the most part this is great, as it expands the average parent's knowledge base. I have also personally seen where kids as young as 8 are left to do thier homework on-line while they were at a baby sitter's while their parents went to work. There were so many things wrong with this situation, I had to shut my mouth and walk away.

I think if you are dedicated to being a home schooler, go for it. I don't think it is appropriate for high schoolers. High school is about learning to be a social human being, not being able to carry on a political conversation with an older adult. It isn't about being mature, it is about being immature before you have to grow up and be an adult.

2011 goals: sub 60min 10K

√ run 1st HM (May 29)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Among other social experiences, the homeschool kids may missing out on going through a metal detector every day.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Not at my house.

My brothers are shifty.

That was a Simpsons reference, homeschoolie.

haha - yeah,  definitely didn't grow up with TV. You know, due to my parent's extreme narrow-mindedness and tight control over our world view...  I obviously missed out on SOO much!

(that wasn't a dig at you SRL Smile)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Not at my house.

My brothers are shifty.

How many shifts until you get to be eldest again?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Didn't take it that way.  I know simpsons trivia.  This knowledge does not make the world a better place nor does it help me be financially secure.

Things that might actually serve those purposes? Like the practical and theoretical calculus that used to occupy my brain... that stuff fell out.

Sigh.

BTW.  Socialization.  I went to an all-boys high school.  I can't say whether this helped socialize me better/worse than a homeschoolie, but I can say that I very much missed out by not having day-to-day normal social interactions with not-boys.  I don't mean "wow, I woulda liked that!" (though this is true)... I mean it from a practical level.  I think it had a negative impact later in life.  Ah well.

I'm normal now.

Right?

xor

How many shifts until you get to be eldest again?

I have a half sister, a step sister, and three step brothers.  All older.  I'm the baby by a lot.  Eldest only happens if I go Michael Myers (not the funny one) on them.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, to give you your due, medicine and sports nutrition are very related.

and DNA and running.

THIS is trolling.

He's a devout Roman Catholic and Sunday school teacher, so you can see trolls have many different attitudes about religious faith (and same-sex marriage).

MTA: and tax cuts.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Why is it sideways?

He's a devout Roman Catholic and Sunday school teacher, so you can see trolls have many different attitudes about religious faith (and same-sex marriage).

Okay, Nader. Let me ask you this straight up. Why, when I brought up the the issue of the attack on science perpetrated by fundamentalist Christianity, did you choose to defend Christianity? Why not use your Christian identity to condemn those in your faith tradition who spread ignorance by mandating the teaching of intelligent design and pretending that the genesis account of the origins of life is somehow on the same scientific standing as evolutionary theory?

Yes, I know that devout Catholics can support gay marriage. I am married to one who does. I support Christianity so long as it does not attack methods of intelligence or preach intolerance. When it (or any other institution or religion) does these things, I condemn it, because I believe in the methods of scientific intelligence and a long democratic tradition of honoring love between people.