Any thoughts (Read 555 times)

on running 3 miles at race pace tomorrow ? Do, don't do? (race is on Sunday). I had planned on taking the day off tomorrow but dh has other plans I think.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Wingz

Professional Noob

How long is race?

Roads were made for journeys...

Half Marathon Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Wingz

Professional Noob

I think it should be fine if you're not mixing it with strength training that day. Kind of get psyched up and fine-tune your pace a bit without wearing yourself out completely.

Roads were made for journeys...

If it's somewhat of a goal race, I'd say don't do and just run easy runs no longer than ~45 minutes btw now and then. I'm not strongly against it--probably wouldn't hurt you, but I don't think it will help at all to run HMP this close to the race. Just checked your log, wow, by the way. Nice.

Runners run

Jeffrey

I recently read online ... during a taper you can reduce your mileage, but maintain your training intensity. It sounds like you want to increase intensity with that HMP run so I wouldn't do it. Hope that helps. Smile
                Definetly no more strength training until AFTER the HM. It's definetly a goal race! I think dh is needing to do the race pace since his training has been far from par and I think he's not sure if he'll be able to keep the pace. Guess we'll see if he's still in the same frame of mind tomorrow am. Thanks Mike! Thanks for the feedback Janelle and Mike!

OK dh won. We went ran 3 miles in a bit faster pace then intended. Thanks to dh's 305 crapping out (somehow lost gps) I was left to be the pacer (I am SOOOOO not a pace leader) So despite our first lap being only a few seconds off from HM race pace, we ended up going faster each then intended. I think I may have gotten rid of some of the jitters I usually get come race day.