Another ITBS Thread: Please advise (Read 795 times)

I hit my first serious snag in my 1001mile fundraiser (www.1001miles.com) where I am trying to run 1,001 miles in a year to raise money for Children's Cancer Association. I started taking on hills during my long runs with 500+ miles on my shoes, and now I am struggling with ITBS. I have read most if not all of the posts regarding ITBS on this board. I have bought new shoes, started stretching and using the foam roller. I have not been able to find consistent advice regarding rest. It seems that some people have had success while continuing to run while others have had to take long periods off in order to beat flare ups of ITBS. Since taking too long of a period off will compromise the the fundraiser goal, I am hoping to be able to cut back on miles while treating the problem with stretching, ice, the roller, etc. Can anyone offer advice on taking time off vs. cutting back on miles. I know everyone's experience is different, but I would still like to hear from those more experienced with this than I am. Thanks so much for your help.
    Chris

My Hero

I'm sure you have considered... Leg length descrepancy? This may be caused by having a tight IT Band ( according to my PT) or, one leg might be physically of a different length. In addition to the IT stretches he (PT) had me working on strengthening my core. A strong core supports the lower back and pelvis which in turn keeps the legs lined up. Everything seems connected on way or another and we don't realize something isn't quite right until we introduce a new stress. Which in your case was hills. I'm not sure where this "500" mile shoe life ever got started, but I'm willing to bet the shoe company's may be responsible. I know many experienced runners that rotate several shoes with way in excess of 500 miles on them with no problems. Just my nickel.

Me and my gang in Breck

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/2defcd9d119b4b6a9f0c00bae9c85525 Chris, I copied the link above from a previous post that I started. When I had this problem I rested until the pain was gone, which took about a week and when I went back I started core training a couple times a week with my running. Once I started strengthing my core I was able to go right back to hard training with no more pain.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

I've dealt with ITBS successfully without stopping running or cutting down on miles as follows: 1) slow down (about 2 minutes per mile slower) 2) stretch before, after (and sometimes during) a run. This is the stretchthat works best for me. I've even pulled over to the side of the road during a marathon to do it, and completed the marathon. 3) build up the abductor muscles. I use the seated abductor machine in the gym, even though it's been said to be less effective for runners. But it doesn't put any strain on my knees or other leg muscles, so I consider it safer. I'm not saying this is the best approach, but it has worked for me.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

Ostrich runner

I'm most of the way through mine, which wrecked my spring (but made me a much better swimmer). I did the things you mentioned, and the stretch that worked best for me was the cross legged toe touch. I did that and the foam roller four times per day if I could. For the first few weeks of treating it, running at all was folly, but at some point it became pain I could run through and recover from within a day or two. I'm not really sure how to find that point, except to keep testing it. Also, if you have the stomach for it, I was taking 4x800 vitamin I per day.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Mine was so bad I thought I'd have to quit running. I did slow down, and cut back on my miles. Most people think that "Pattstrap" is stupid, but it really "held" my IT band so it did not hurt. http://www.pattstrap.com/ I cured mine with 1) New shoes ( I was wearing stability, and needed neutrals) 2) foam roller 3) Pattstrap Be very careful running down hills. I walked down when I was injured. Today I just run as slow as possible.

- Anya

I have not tried the strap yet, but I have bought new shoes and have started stretching and rolling. So far I am limited to anywhere from 1-3 miles of regular running before I feel the pain. I then stop. I am really hoping not to have to take a long rest as I mentioned above, but I fear that I may have no choice. The guy in the running store said that he was able to beat ITBS without taking time off by doing what I am doing. Who knows? I have not been through this before and really do not know what to expect. It is making me anxious when I run, as I am waiting for the pain the whole time.
                Chris
                protoplasm72

I think whether you can run through ITBS is dependent on what the cause is and how quickly you start to treat it. If you correctly figure out what the cause is and treat that right away you can probably keep running. If you assume it is shoes and it's not but you keep running, you might make it worse. The safest way is to take a week off at the first sign of pain. Ice it, wrap it, and avoid bending your knee cause at about a 30 degree angle the ITB rubs on your knee and if it's inflamed it will get worse.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Ostrich runner

I used the ProTec strap for a while, and it seemed to help a little while things were really bad, but I wouldn't rule out placebo effect.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

As I am able to run the first couple of miles without any sign of pain, my wife suggested running twice a day to make my miles and keep pace with the fundraiser. So far so good. After a morning run, I have been able to bounce back for another in the late afternoon. The result of both runs is the same as far as there being no pain or discomfort for the first couple of miles. I am interested to see if my stretching, use of the roller and new shoes will enable me to run longer over time or if I will have to shut it down to truly beat this thing. Already the roller does not hurt nearly as much as it did in the beginning. I am also noticing that my hip is the most tender area when rolling.
                      Chris