Time for a new GPS watch (Read 680 times)

Very happy with my new 210. Does all the basics, to me additional features would just make it more complicated to use. Battery life is claimed at 8 hr. Also has a fairly sleek appearance so you can easily wear as a regular watch, if that is a factor.

Dave

zonykel

The 310XT is actually $207.00 on Amazon.

heartratemonitorsusa.com currently has a 5% off coupon. The code is "cm8". That would bring the price down to $197. If someone is willing to wait long enough, just sign up for their newsletter, and a 10% off coupon will likely be offered at some point and time. (Note, I don't work for that company, but I did buy my 310XT from them).

910xt.  Battery life and smaller than the others.  Then again, I have small wrists so I found the others big and noticeable.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

heartratemonitorsusa.com currently has a 5% off coupon. The code is "cm8". That would bring the price down to $197. If someone is willing to wait long enough, just sign up for their newsletter, and a 10% off coupon will likely be offered at some point and time. (Note, I don't work for that company, but I did buy my 310XT from them).

The heart rate monitor  from the  305 works fine with the 310.

steph  

RRTex

Have you looked at Suunto?  The Quest is a great watch and just add the GPS Track Pod.  A lot more usage time than any of the Garmin devices.  I like it because it is not all in one and if I want the track distance and altitude I can.

Loves the outdoors

I really like my 310XT. Although I don't do ultras, I have used it while tramping and it gets pretty amazing battery life. It also holds it's charge exceptionally well. I've been off running due to illness and injury and after 3 months of no use, I put it on this week and it was still holding charge and ready to go! It does use an ANT stick though, however I've had no issues with that.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Fruchtenstein

After one year of running with 310XT, I am certain that my next GPS will be something else. To begin with, it's an overkill. It has a lot of features I never use (virtual partner and virtual racer, courses, advanced workouts, interval training, calories, stroke count when swimming) and Forerunner 110 or 210 would work for me just as well. Besides, I am really disappointed with Garmin software and support. Look at the speed graph I get on the Garmin Connect site. And when I asked the support for help, all I received was an automatic reply that Garmin does not support non-U.S. users. The local support center did not reply, either. Oh, and there's no software for Linux, which may not be a problem for most users, though.

Oh, and there's no software for Linux, which may not be a problem for most users, though.

This is a big one for me. The only reason I boot windows at the moment is to get data off my 310xt. Next time round (whenever that comes) linux supports for a watch would be important feature - although I don't think an of the gps manufacturers offer such functionality.

DukeDB

I've had the 210 for a year and won't buy another one because of the charging clip design.  The clip doesn't give me any positive feedback when connecting (like my 205 did, as it snapped into its cradle).  If I miss a pin - easily done - all manner of problems ensue.  At best, it won't connect to the computer.  At worst, it makes strange symbols on its screen and I have to do a master reset.  Or, it quietly loses charge and I have to fiddle it back into position and let it sit for several hours.  I've disloged the clip from proper position just by setting it down on a flat surface.  This has triggered many OCD behaviors the night before a race...is it still charging?  still?  still?

My frustration's magnified by the 210's otherwise excellent design and performance.  It's the right size and shape, I'll wear it as my everyday watch when travelling.  Finds satellites quickly and tracks them well.  It has exactly all of the features I want, and precisely none that I don't.  Setup and use were easy - I never needed the manual until I had to resolve some of the clip-related issues.  Priced well.

When it dies (an eventuality that may occur rather suddenly, by my hand, truth be told) I will buy the closest thing to it that has a reliable interface.

lagwagon

I've had the 210 for a year and won't buy another one because of the charging clip design. 

Agree.  I gave my 210 to a family member and bought a 610.  the clip design is better, but not quite better enough.  still, I also like the additional features and customizability of the 610, and would buy again.  unless something a little lighter and even easier to use comes out.

i'm still waiting for the garmin watch with fully integrated google maps hologram, which will of course be kinetic / self winding, smaller still, and have improved tracking and precision.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Thanks for this.  Ordered me a 310XT.  Thrilled to find out that my old HRM strap will work with it, too.

FWIW, I went with the 310XT because

1) longtime 305 user, so familiarity

2) long battery wife

3) completely waterproof

4) price/value

5) I prefer buttons to a touchscreen on a running watch.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I've had the 210 for a year and won't buy another one because of the charging clip design.  The clip doesn't give me any positive feedback when connecting (like my 205 did, as it snapped into its cradle).  If I miss a pin - easily done - all manner of problems ensue.  At best, it won't connect to the computer.  At worst, it makes strange symbols on its screen and I have to do a master reset.  Or, it quietly loses charge and I have to fiddle it back into position and let it sit for several hours.  I've disloged the clip from proper position just by setting it down on a flat surface.  This has triggered many OCD behaviors the night before a race...is it still charging?  still?  still?

My frustration's magnified by the 210's otherwise excellent design and performance.  It's the right size and shape, I'll wear it as my everyday watch when travelling.  Finds satellites quickly and tracks them well.  It has exactly all of the features I want, and precisely none that I don't.  Setup and use were easy - I never needed the manual until I had to resolve some of the clip-related issues.  Priced well.

When it dies (an eventuality that may occur rather suddenly, by my hand, truth be told) I will buy the closest thing to it that has a reliable interface.

Yeah, WTF? I got a 210 for Xmas. I was vascillating between the 210 & 410...I much preferred the simplicity & smaller size of the 210, but was also drawn to the wireless connection of the 410. Someone on one of these forums assured me the clip design was no problem. And I would have agreed (I just noticed my favorable review earlier in this thread) until the last few times I connected it. Since then, I echo all your complaints. Very frustrating, it is just incessant jiggling the contacts & disconnecting/reconnecting, until the computer decides to recognize it at some random point. Very unfortunate, it is the perfect device for me otherwise. Based on your resignation, I assume you don't have any connection tips?

Dave

Fruchtenstein

The only reason I boot windows at the moment is to get data off my 310xt.

You don't have to reboot. The Garmin software can run in VirtualBox.

You don't have to reboot. The Garmin software can run in VirtualBox.

I have tried that - I've had terrible problems with some usb devices (including the ant stick) under virtualbox. They apparently work a bit, but I get so many time-out errors, that it's just too frustrating.

There are other virtualisation routes, and probably things to tweak to try and get virtualbox to play better, but it's a question of getting round to spending time doing this stuff.

Fruchtenstein

Hmm... I had good results and never experienced these problems with Windows XP running on VirtualBox 4.1.18 under Ubuntu (from 10.04 to 12.10).